• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AMOLED vs. LCD Screens

Has there been any confimation of this switch outside of a Korean newspaper article?

It has been confirmed by lots of sources, just do a google search for "incredible amoled" and you will find tons of articles.

What I can't find is anything that says when the switch occured, or will be occuring. I assume it's already happened but who knows.

ETA - Verizon's website still lists the phone as having an AMOLED screen. Very likely that they just haven't updated it, but again... who knows?

Upvote 0
It has been confirmed by lots of sources, just do a google search for "incredible amoled" and you will find tons of articles.

What I can't find is anything that says when the switch occured, or will be occuring. I assume it's already happened but who knows.

ETA - Verizon's website still lists the phone as having an AMOLED screen. Very likely that they just haven't updated it, but again... who knows?

I just see the same thing... everyone that cites a source ends up being the korean newspaper or speculation based in the SKU changing ( which it has already done once)

One source did say they heard from HTC but I have a hard time believing that HTC would give info to a blog when there has been no announcement from Verizon or HTC.

I'm not sure it makes sense at this point. In May it looked like there were no phones shipping at all.

But since then plenty have been shipping. 2-3 times Amazon has completely cleared their backlog ( and will be caught up on the 3rd again)

The Denver best buys often have had DIncs although they get snapped up quickely.

I would think switching screens is not a trival change and would take months of testing.

Upvote 0
I don't see any reason not to believe the reports about the AMOLED screen shortage. The fact that it was first noted by a Korean newspaper is not that strange considering that Samsung is a Korean company.

The reports that I am seeing say that they are adding a mix of the LCD screens, in additional to the AMOLED, in order to meet the demand. And I don't see why a screen switch would require months of testing anyway.

All of the signs seem to point to this being true. It DOES explain why iPhone didn't go with the AMOLED. It also makes plently of sense that Samsung would choose to keep they "extra" supply for their own phones. As long as they fullfill the contract requirements for production with HTC, there is nothing that requires them to provide additional units.

HTC would have to mark the LCD phones as such though. They can not simply put a LCD phone in a package that clearly states AMOLED. But that's not exactaly a difficult change, either.

As for the sales, you have to understand that the majority of the phones being purchased are being bought from Verizon directly. Amazon and Best Buy both have experienced shortages as well but since they have only a fraction of the orders (ie: demand) of course they are able to clear their backlog faster.

I myself probably would have gone with Amazon expect that I was able to get the phone's for $100 instead of $150 (I was getting two, one for my fiance and one for me) which means that I paid $200 instead of $300. I was willing to wait in order to save $100.

Upvote 0
The reports that I am seeing say that they are adding a mix of the LCD screens, in additional to the AMOLED, in order to meet the demand. And I don't see why a screen switch would require months of testing anyway.

HTC would have to mark the LCD phones as such though. They can not simply put a LCD phone in a package that clearly states AMOLED. But that's not exactaly a difficult change, either.

Where on the package does it say AMOLED? I have my second gen. box out and I don't see it anywhere. I agree they would have to mention SLCD anytime they mention AMOLED, but they probably wouldn't have to identify specific phones, if they didn't want to.

It might have to get the change rubber stamped by the FCC. I doubt that would be the case, but I wouldn't know for sure. If it doesn't need FCC approval then it would just need weeks of testing.

Upvote 0
That's a good question. I could have swore I saw it on the box at the Verizon store (I was there on 6/19 ordering mine and someone was picking up their's) but I am not 100% positive.

Either way, since all of their marketing materials say AMOLED, I would guess that they would have to clarify which phones were shipped with LCD. You know, due to that silly false advertising law and such... ;)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I haven't seen any official confirmation yet but believe me, I have been looking! My estimated ship date isn't until 7/16 so I am pretty concerned by it.

I have read many reports that say that Verizon/HTC will mark the packages that are LCD screen's as such. I have read several things that said Verizon will make an announcement once they start shipping the phone with LCD's. And I have also read several things that said any phones ordered before 6/25 will have the AMOLED, which any phones ordered after that date may have the LCD (they are using a mix of both).

None of that is confirmed of course, but that's all I can find.

Upvote 0
Once you get it, go to Sprint and put it side by side with the EVO 4G. If the Evo screen looks washed out in comparison to your DInc, then you have the AMOLED.

I just did this today. The difference is very apparent.

Any LCD compared to the AMOLED is washed out as far as colors go. The LCD in the iPhone 4 is the only real contender, but still loses by a margin.

Upvote 0
There is no doubt there was a shortage. For a few weeks in May it looked like almost no phones were shipping. But since then a lot seem to be shipping and the question is the screen still the bottle neck or can HTC just not able to catch up to the demand.

The 1st week of June I was able to both walk into a Best Buy & order on Amazon and get one.

I had to watch daily because shipments would sell out in a day or so.

Upvote 0
HTC is required by law to let you know what type of screen is on your phone. especially if you ordered it before they announced possibly using the different screen. You ordered a specific product. while they may deam the LCD screen an acceptable replacement you purchased a phone that met a seriese of specific requirements. if they ship you something different it is Bait & Switch and against the law. If you have a concern I would go to the FTC web site and file a concern/ complaint.

You paid for a specific product and you should get what you pay for

Upvote 0
I'm sure a lot of you have heard about HTC's decision to start switching from AMOLED to TFT LCD, so for those of you wondering, here's a pretty good presentation slide set that I found which compares AMOLED to LCD and talks about the technologies. Just thought some of you might be interested as well.

http://data.4dsystems.com.au/downloads/micro-OLED/Docs/4D_AMOLED_Presentation.pdf

Optical engineering grad student here. These screen display systems are things I have been learning about for years. I wanted to add my 2 cents.

I did not read this entire thread but I did read the AMOLED v LCD pdf. It describes a common trend towards the use of organic active materials. This is an entirely different approach to LCD tech. LCD tech uses polarization and birefringence of the liquid crystal to display the light. Organic displays utilize fluorescence of organic material for the light emission and control. Literally, its less components and less complex.

The PDF (although biased) gives a good overview of the tech.

Reactions: Colchicine
Upvote 0
Pretty sure there could be legal ramifications if they tried to sneak away with giving us LCD if we originally ordered ones with AMOLED and they didnt tell us.

Exactly.

While there is no doubt in my mind that HTC will begin using LCD screens for their phones I do not believe that they will simply try to sweep this under the rug and hope no one notices and/or cares.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones