• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AMOLED vs. LCD Screens

Well, here is a picture of my Zune HD home screen, which is an OLED display. The only thing you can see is the white text, the black background can't even be distinguished.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u282/Invalidcredentials/zune_oled.jpg

When I get my phone, one of the first things I'm going to do is download a black picture with a white square in the center of it. If the background can be seen as a dark grey, then I know my phone has an LCD screen.

Upvote 0
A buddy of mine just got his Incredible last night (after the typical shipping delay) and no where on the box or in the material is any mention of an LCD screen vs the AMOLED. SO hopefully they have not started switching them out yet! :)

pday1, which article are you referring to?
HTC running low on AMOLED stock, will add SLCD to the mix for some models -- Engadget

"We've been able to confirm this evening that HTC will be adding an additional supplier of displays later this year -- Sony -- which will be delivering its Super TFT LCD tech as a mobile exclusive (initially, at least) to key HTC handsets, some of which are already in the marketplace.

Reactions: Ovreagr
Upvote 0
How can I tell if mine is AMOLED or LCD? Mine was a few days late, arriving yesterday. I assume it's too early to be LCD.

Interestingly though is my wife's Incredible came a month ago in a white box, mine was in different color scheme packaging. I guess it's sort of yellow black and reddish.

It's still too early for it to be an LCD screen. But if you want to make sure, pull up a black image on both phones (yours and your wifes) and see if they look the same. If yours is an LCD, your black image will look like dark grey and hers will be a solid black.

The packaging is different because they changed it, the newer ones come with a 2 gig SD card.

Upvote 0
I'm sure that when they get the new LCD screen ready for production, they will alert the public of the change. Everyone in store will be required to clearly state or have posted that the Incredible now has a LCD (or whatever screen.)

This leads me to believe that everyone who has received the phone, and everyone who is currently waiting for the phone will receive the AMOLED screen. You could order one tomorrow and you will most definitely get the AMOLED.

Upvote 0
I have no worries that when the time comes Verizon will use a throwaway line in a new Incredible commercial employing the same talented voice over guy from all the previous Droid commercials to make something like "updated screen technology" sound better than AMOLED without actually saying as much. Love it or hate it, they've proven masterful marketers, and are no doubt legally savvy.
I would hope that a more power hungry screen would include the larger OEM battery...

Upvote 0
I have no worries that when the time comes Verizon will use a throwaway line in a new Incredible commercial employing the same talented voice over guy from all the previous Droid commercials to make something like "updated screen technology" sound better than AMOLED without actually saying as much. Love it or hate it, they've proven masterful marketers, and are no doubt legally savvy.
I would hope that a more power hungry screen would include the larger OEM battery...

by that time, there won't be tv ads, count on it.

Upvote 0
How can I tell if mine is AMOLED or LCD? Mine was a few days late, arriving yesterday. I assume it's too early to be LCD.

Interestingly though is my wife's Incredible came a month ago in a white box, mine was in different color scheme packaging. I guess it's sort of yellow black and reddish.

How does your screen look? That is really all that matters. Honestly you won't be able to tell a difference unless you have two phones with the different screens right next to each other.

I would get this phone regardless of which screen it came with as both will look nice on their own. We are really splitting hairs here.

Upvote 0
How does your screen look? That is really all that matters. Honestly you won't be able to tell a difference unless you have two phones with the different screens right next to each other.

+1!

It's funny. I used the EVO 4G for a couple of weeks and the screen looked great, crisp, clear etc, much nicer than my old 2G iPhone. But (long story, work thing) I moved to Verizon for the Incredible, and definitely the AMOLED is lovely: the colors pop and the blacks are dark and it's so vibrant, but I must admit, if I'd never seen the Inc, I probably wouldn't have noticed the difference.

Now I've had my Inc for a while it still looks good, but boy, sometimes the colors are off: the reds are way over-saturated, using the camera the other day, I noticed the purple on an object I was shooting looked far more blue than I expected. However, that over-saturation, and fantastic contrast really makes images come to life, and you just kind of get used to it where it doesn't really bother you or it's not even noticeable... your eyes just get used to it.

I will be interested to see how well color is represented on the upcoming Droid X. I'd expect the LCD to demonstrate a bit of that slight washed-out look, and for the blacks to not be as dark as the AMOLED on the Inc, but if the colors are accurate and it's 24-bit, I'd be intrigued to see if it looks better than the EVO does.

In the end, I guess I'm saying you do get really used to the screen you use and it invariably looks just fine, unless you start nitpicking (like I just did). Unless the display of the phone you buy is genuinely faulty (like a few people experienced with the pinkish Incredibles out there), it's hard to notice differences unless you really look closely.

Upvote 0
i have transformers 2 ripped with 1 gig total size and everytime i showed it to my friends on my DINC, i always get the "wow" reaction....trust me, it's like watching hd if you ripped it more than 800mb per movie :D btw, i took my friend's MotoDroid and put it next to mine and boy.....it's like comparing VHS to Blueray :D:D:D

Upvote 0
I have been reading some of the posts on this site and I was wondering if anyone knew when exactly HTC will be replacing the AMOLED screens. When I go to the Verizon site and look at the phone stats for the Inc it still says it will have one. Doesn't that seem like false advertising if they are already shipping these phones with a different screen?

Upvote 0
I don't mean to be cruel or anything, but did you actually read any of those threads you found?

All we know right now is that HTC is working on the test models for the SLCD screen and that once it's ready, they will start adding the SLCD to the production.

They will also inform customers which version they are getting when the time comes.

From what I have been reading everyone seems to talking in the past tense and I was just trying to clarify. I will do some more reading.

Upvote 0
From what I have been reading everyone seems to talking in the past tense and I was just trying to clarify. I will do some more reading.

It's okay, it's a lot to go through.

And really, there isn't anything more to know than what I said. SLCD is being tested, once it's ready they will begin using it. At that time they will notify customers of the switch.

So for right now, it's not a concern. And for all we know, it won't be a concern for a long time.

Upvote 0
It's okay, it's a lot to go through.

And really, there isn't anything more to know than what I said. SLCD is being tested, once it's ready they will begin using it. At that time they will notify customers of the switch.

So for right now, it's not a concern. And for all we know, it won't be a concern for a long time.

As of now there is no official announcement that there will be change from either HTC or verizon.

All the blogs/forums posting this info refer to each other or back to the original article in a korean newspaper.

AndroidCommunity says they heard from HTC that they'll be using both screens. They thank the OLED Display blog for that info.

OLED Display says HTC is testing the new screen. They thank AndroidCommunity for that info. :D

If it were to happen I would expect people would be given a choice to wait for the Amoled screen or get the new screen right away.

Upvote 0
With the impending change I almost want to call Verizon and ask if I can just get the Droid X. Not because I like the phone or think it's any better, but because I at least know that they aren't going to change a major selling point on that phone just a few short months after it's release. HTC is a good company and I understand that they made a mistake and it has landed them here where they have to make this decision. I don't know how hard it must have been to make, but they had to know that they were going to lose business. This might lose them my business altogether.

I understand your frustration and it IS a hot topic issue right now. But I really don't understand the people who are considering switching to the X simply because of the forthcoming screen switch. The X doesn't have an AMOLED either... so you will be in the same boat!

The screen is a good selling point, I agree. But it wasn't the only selling point. Like I said in a thread yesterday, I choice the DINC because it was what I wanted and I will not even consider going to the X. If I end up getting a dud and having to exchange it (knock on wood!!) I will wait another 30 days for the DINC. If I end up having to get a SLCD replacement, I'll take it. It will still be better, for me, than the X.

I can't blame HTC for this one, they are not the ones making the screen. They contracted for the amount they thought they would need and it wasn't enough. They just didn't expect the high demand of this phone.

And honestly, I don't blame Samsung for not giving them more than the contracted amount. They have their own phones to put out and I would probably make the same decision if I were them.

It's just one of those "total suck" all around things where really no one is to blame. Sometimes, shit happens! You deal with it and move on.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones