• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AMOLED vs. LCD Screens

My replacement phone must have the new screen. I got my original phone pre release. The new replacement came last Friday. Huge difference, I'm disappointed now. The white looks like it has a greenish tint.

I just received my replacement Incredible last Thursday the 15th. Check your manufactured date, mine was 19 April, 2010 so it has to have an AMOLED.

Go here to see how to find your manufactured date:

http://androidforums.com/htc-incredible/111148-date-your-phone-manufatctured-vs-problems-phone.html

Upvote 0
Any device that comes out in the US gets a FCC device number. If there is a change to the device they have to get a new number. The FCC has onlu ONE number set for the Droid Incredible They are not using the LCD screens and IF they decide to they HAVE to and WILL get a new number.

Any change, or just any change that affects broadcasting?

EDIT: I posted that after getting home following a 9 hour car ride...and apparently didn't notice that It's the HTC page NOT VZW. Sorry.

And yes, FCC would have to re-certify it (based on what I was able to find on FCC's website).

Upvote 0
Fact still is the amoled display was a big part of the marketing push for the Inc. LCD diminishes one of it's key advantages. Factor in that Motorola is more diligent with substantial updates with the X, the non-rooting consumer may now be better off with the X. I prefer the Inc, but mine has amoled.

VZW can spin all they want, but, the Incredible is not really that with LCD. Super LCD is still a lamp backlit LCD.

added:

The more I think of this, the more it seems people that bought into the amoled as part of the lure to get the Inc will have grounds for another handset- if their amoled version fails and is replaced with lcd. The change is more than cosmetic and is a downgrade.

Hogwash as the percentage of people buying the Dinc don't know the difference between LCD and amoled..... and that % going in to a store id guess is over 80%+.

Upvote 0
VZW can spin all they want, but, the Incredible is not really that with LCD. Super LCD is still a lamp backlit LCD.

In YOUR opinion maybe, but don't speak for everyone. I think my DINC is incredible regardless of what screen is on it.

added:

The more I think of this, the more it seems people that bought into the amoled as part of the lure to get the Inc will have grounds for another handset- if their amoled version fails and is replaced with lcd. The change is more than cosmetic and is a downgrade.

Do you really think that there are people out there who choose the Incredible over every other phone JUST because of the AMOLED screen? :thinking: I highly doubt it.

What I find most amusing is that the people who are complaining about the change (which hasn't even happened yet!) are using it as an excuse to switch over to the X. Which would make sense if the X had an AMOLED screen but it doesn't! So you are switching away from your DINC that does have the AMOLED to get the X which doesn't because you are worried that maybe in the future you will break your phone and maybe get a replacement that has an SLCD...

Yea, that makes total sense... :(

I give up! The concern over these screens is just becoming pointless and I am not in the habit of kicking a dead horse.

Upvote 0
Just wondering, when all is said and done, how many AMOLED DIncs there will be in the wild ... meaning that when those of us who have them go to upgrade and sell on ebay eventually ... if these will command something of a premium. What do you all think? -kj-

When HTC actually starts adding in SLCD screens there should be a hardware # change.

But the fact is, no one can say for sure and won't be able to until the switch happens. For right now, no one even has the screen and there hasn't been a peep from HTC themselves saying when it will happen.

It's my understanding that they will only be adding the SLCD's to the production line, not completely replacing the AMOLED.

As for "how many will there be", no one knows this either. And we won't until HTC (or maybe Verizon) releases their production numbers.

Upvote 0
Well I know *I* have one because I got one before they announced the switch, there is talk of a hardware revision # or manufacturing date being one way to know...anyone?

please tell us the day either HTC or Verizon announced they have switched the screen, thank you. Do not quote a blog or gizmodo, show us the release from verizon and/or htc.

Upvote 0
This should be confirmation - HTC's official website still shows the Incredible as having an AMOLED screen: HTC Mobile Phones - DROID INCREDIBLE Verizon - Overview

Verizon removed the ALOMED description from their website however.

Nonetheless, I can confirm shipments being received in the 5 days are still AMOLED.

The people are right that Verizon will most likely make an official announcement before LCDs ship.

If they even do add LCD to the mix.

Upvote 0
Verizon removed the ALOMED description from their website however.

Nonetheless, I can confirm shipments being received in the 5 days are still AMOLED.

The people are right that Verizon will most likely make an official announcement before LCDs ship.

If they even do add LCD to the mix.

it is curious verizon removed it but they dont make the phone

its amoled until we hear from either company.

Upvote 0
If you notice a difference in the screen demand another replacement. They haven't switched the screens as this would require FCC approval and HTC has not received it yet. You can check the FCC website if you really want. But someone stated the same problem in another thread and was able to get it replaced again. Apparently Verizon said their refurb had been returned because of a screen problem the first time as well.

Upvote 0
In YOUR opinion maybe, but don't speak for everyone. I think my DINC is incredible regardless of what screen is on it.

Do you really think that there are people out there who choose the Incredible over every other phone JUST because of the AMOLED screen? :thinking: I highly doubt it.

What I find most amusing is that the people who are complaining about the change (which hasn't even happened yet!) are using it as an excuse to switch over to the X. Which would make sense if the X had an AMOLED screen but it doesn't! So you are switching away from your DINC that does have the AMOLED to get the X which doesn't because you are worried that maybe in the future you will break your phone and maybe get a replacement that has an SLCD...

Yea, that makes total sense... :(

I give up! The concern over these screens is just becoming pointless and I am not in the habit of kicking a dead horse.

I imagine the points you and the other poster make are the clouds of words summated' in the HTC & VZW discussions to spin their ways out of this clusterfruek to upper management. The product manager for the Inc and his/her team probably spinning like tops to find a way out ;)

Meanwhile, Samsung stands by and laughs at HTC, VZW and any people that buy the Galaxy and expect Gingerbread to be on it one day, as an official release ;).

Simple point is the amoled was a key marketing point for the Inc. it is nothing but a cut down EVO without it. The amoled is it's powwa! :eek:;)

Look back at how the display is a key draw for people and reviews liking the Inc. How in your rational minds can you assert it does not make a difference? Are you folks VZW marketing?

Actually, the Inc is better than the EVO still, since the microsd is hot swappable :)

Upvote 0
I got a certified replacement unit yesterday, and the only difference I see is that it doesn't have the slight pinkish hue that my original one had. That, and I can't see the dots when the screen is off (grid pattern of dots from the touch-screen is what I'm talking about). So far, this unit appears to be working fine, screen is bright and clear, and the colors pop out nicely :D.

Also, the HTC 1500 battery seems to fit this phone perfectly, no gaps around the edges of my battery door like the original...

Upvote 0
The new droids or your refuribished models are NOT shipping with the damn LCD screens. They are still AMOLED okay? If HTC did switch to them, they would have to go through FCC again and there WILL be a formal announcement somewhere validating the switch. Until then PLEASE spare the posts asking whether its LCD or not. Even if it is there is really nothing you can do about it. Deal with it or switch to a different phone or wait for Samsung Fascinate.

Peace.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones