• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AMOLED vs. TFT LCD

ttype86

Feb 9, 2010
Can u tech guys please explain the major differences in the 2 screens? (amoled and tft) I realize the amoled is brighter, better angle viewing etc... the main problem im having understanding is that some people are saying there is minor lag on the amoled screens compared to the tft lcd screen. and then another site will say the exact opposite. please explain.:thinking:

In my opinion, this is the most important difference between the Samsung Galaxy S and the HTC EVO 4g. I'm concerned about the power consumption of that tft display on the EVO. Still hesitantly leaning toward the EVO for 4g and HTC though. I've had a couple of samsung phones and respect their durability but having their own os and being new to android, I'm guessing HTC is safer bet.

Upvote 0
Can u tech guys please explain the major differences in the 2 screens? (amoled and tft) I realize the amoled is brighter, better angle viewing etc... the main problem im having understanding is that some people are saying there is minor lag on the amoled screens compared to the tft lcd screen. and then another site will say the exact opposite. please explain.:thinking:

there is no lag. actually AMOLED is actually faster refresh rate than LCD. at least that's what i've read on all the sites and wikipedia article.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Lifespan is only considered an issue on AMOLED with televisions and other applications where expected lifespan is far greater than a cell phone and the expected daily usage is many times higher. Mobile handsets are much shorter lived with a fraction of the daily screen time. In this application the screen should last several times the lifespan of a handset even for those that sit on a phone for years. This is often brought up on the phone sites as being an issue with AMOLED but the reality is it simply doesnt apply to mobile handsets. Sorry about not being clear the first time.

Reactions: kumarvarun172
Upvote 0
So my notification bar has started to burn (or Ghost?) into the screen. I guess I'm a heavy user as I use Google Nav...

Wow you are already getting burn in with the nofitication bar? How often are you using the Google Navigation and for what duration? I just got the google N1 car dock (which is pretty nice) last week and was using google nav over the weekend, the first thing that came to my mind was how long can I run this safely? Might only break it out now when I really need it.

Upvote 0
Wow you are already getting burn in with the nofitication bar? How often are you using the Google Navigation and for what duration? I just got the google N1 car dock (which is pretty nice) last week and was using google nav over the weekend, the first thing that came to my mind was how long can I run this safely? Might only break it out now when I really need it.

I use it on average 3 days a week as my main Sat Nav. I have used it since Nav came out in the UK (around a month?) and the screen is usually at around 50% brightness in the car. I guess some days it can be on for around 4 hours in the car depending on where I travel for work. I have now begun to switch off the screen when I know where I'm going on main roads etc and only use the Nav to guide to my final destination.

I have had the phone since January which makes it 5 months old now. I would say that before Nav came to the UK I used the phone as many people would use any smartphone. The screen has rarely been used at 100% (only when in direct sunlight) and normally at around 50% for all generall use. I'm using a launcher which hides the bar, but as soon as you browse the web, use maps/nav and other apps the notification bar shows up again.

I'm quite annoyed by this and would go so far as to say that the screen is not fit for purpose.

Anyway, It's becoming more of a recognised problem:

Screen Burn-In - Android Help

Upvote 0
It's not too bad at the moment, but I guess only can get worse.

Warranty repair seems to be good in the UK as we have an HTC service centre only 20 miles from where I live so I plan on getting it repaired when the burn becomes too visible and then possibly repaired again when the next device I need is launched.

As someone has already mentioned, download Dead Pixel Detect from the market and if you have burn of the notification bar you will see it easily when white is displayed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones