1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Amount of free memory, USB connectivity

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Missing_Link, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Missing_Link

Missing_Link Member
    None

May 8, 2010
    Hi all,

Hope you can help me with these questions please:

1. Memory Space
    I'm considering an upgrade from the HTC Desire. My big concern is that I would be moving from a phone with a 32gb memory card to a 32gb phone which I hear starts life with 26gb free storage on delivery.

I understand there is the option to uninstall the bloatware in order to recover more memory space. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, how much additonal space could I expect to recover if I removed all those apps ?. If it makes a difference, I'm on Orange.

2. USB Connectivity
    I plug my phone into my Alpine car stereo via the USB port with the phone set to act as a disk drive. Will the One-X allow me to do this ?.

Also, the Desire suffered with a corruption issue which would make the ID tags for the Artist get switched to <unknown>. This happens sometimes when using the phone in Disk Drive mode. Has this problem been corrected in ICS on the One-X ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    1. The 32GB space is partitioned, so you get about 29.5GB-30GB space to use. 2GB of that is for the ROM itself, and 2GB is for user installed apps. The remaining space functions exactly as an SD Card would in any other handset. It should be ample space (I reckon it will be for me) and there's the 23GB of online storage you get via dropbox for using the phone too.

2. It should do, the virtual SD Card functions exactly as an SD Card does in my Desire HD so I don't envisage it would be an issue. You're probably best waiting for others to confirm though. Same with the ID Tags, I've not noticed any problems, but I use Deezer for music so my tunes are in a different format.

Other former Desire users have been delighted with the One X, so hopefully you won't be disappointed.

Missing_Link likes this.
  3. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Android Expert
    None

Jul 3, 2010
    Button Moon
    Personally i would do your upgrade through phones 4u or carphone warehouse as the phones are unbranded & so there fore free of the network bloatware.
    I am on orange & i upgraded through phones 4u to avoid the bloatware, (orange is the worst for that) also as a bonus the phone is as intended by htc & not locked to a network.

Missing_Link likes this.
  4. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Fwiw, I was Orange branded before I rooted and the only Orange bloatware on there is the Your Orange app.

Anoniemouse is correct though, it's probably better to go with P4U/CPW and get an unbranded handset as you'll get updates much quicker.

Missing_Link likes this.
  5. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Android Expert
    None

Jul 3, 2010
    Button Moon

Wish that had been the case when i got my desire, that was full of their bloatware.
    Still maybe Orange have finally realized people want their phone as close to standard as possible.
    Just need the networks to stop the silly practice of locking the phones to network, after all if you are going to stay with them you will regardless.

Missing_Link likes this.
  6. Missing_Link

Missing_Link Member
    None

May 8, 2010
    Thanks all for your advice. Phones4U sounds like a good suggestion too if I can get an unlocked phone. Orange took way too long to update the Desire!. Also it was fully loaded with crap I couldn't want and couldn't get rid of. Not acceptable!.

Tags: