• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Amount of rings???

Gnok31

Nov 22, 2009
Has anyone been able to adjust the amount of rings on their phone? My phone rings about 6 times before it goes to voicemail but my girlfriend's phone rings only 4 times.

I brought both numbers over from T-Mobile where they each rang about 4 times but now w/Verizon mine went up to 6. Tried calling tech support about it and they said there wasn't a setting for this on the phone itself and they gave me an answer like some phones just tend to connect to the network faster :thinking:. Any ideas??

There's a post in the sticky thread about improving battery life that talks about going to the ##PST menu to change this. I don't remember who posted, but he gets all the credit.

1. dial ##PST (##778) [password is 6 zeroes: 000000]
2. choose "Edit Mode"
3. choose "Modem Settings"
4. choose "Slot Cycle Index"
5. select 1 (it is 2 by default). That should give you a nice balance between ringing and battery life.
6. hit OK.
7. hit Menu and then "Commit Modifications"

Now your phone should start ringing sooner!

Reactions: John58543
Upvote 0
There's a post in the sticky thread about improving battery life that talks about going to the ##PST menu to change this. I don't remember who posted, but he gets all the credit.

1. dial ##PST (##778) [password is 6 zeroes: 000000]
2. choose "Edit Mode"
3. choose "Modem Settings"
4. choose "Slot Cycle Index"
5. select 1 (it is 2 by default). That should give you a nice balance between ringing and battery life.
6. hit OK.
7. hit Menu and then "Commit Modifications"

Now your phone should start ringing sooner!

....and your battery life will DEFINITELY suffer.

Upvote 0
I think I saw that somewhere on the Tips thread but that sounds more like getting your phone to ring sooner. The question I had was when you are calling the phone, is there a way to extend the time it rings before it hits the voicemail. If you could increase the amount of rings for the caller it could lengthen the time you have to answer your phone.

Upvote 0
I think I saw that somewhere on the Tips thread but that sounds more like getting your phone to ring sooner. The question I had was when you are calling the phone, is there a way to extend the time it rings before it hits the voicemail. If you could increase the amount of rings for the caller it could lengthen the time you have to answer your phone.

I was thinking that if the phone rang earlier, you would be able to pick up the phone before it goes to voicemail since the caller would hear less rings than currently.

But yeah, I don't know how bad the battery life would get if you do this, though. Haven't had a chance to test it out, but it doesn't bother me the way it's set up by default.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones