• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

An (almost) Universal Root App

A rooted Android device is one on which permissions have been opened up to the user, which, when not rooted, are denied by the manufacturer.

Most rooters just want to get rid of "bloatware" which is included in the app drawer of just about all Android devices sold new, and which is impossible to delete or otherwise remove unless root access has been attained.

Some also like to install custom ROMs and/or use certain processor modifying apps to over clock (speed up) the device's CPU.

Here is a comprehensive analysis of some of the reasons to root:

Top 10 Reasons To Root Your Android Phone

Reactions: sixtythree
Upvote 0
A rooted Android device is one on which permissions have been opened up to the user, which, when not rooted, are denied by the manufacturer.

Most rooters just want to get rid of "bloatware" which is included in the app drawer of just about all Android devices sold new, and which is impossible to delete or otherwise remove unless root access has been attained.

Some also like to install custom ROMs and/or use certain processor modifying apps to over clock (speed up) the device's CPU.

Here is a comprehensive analysis of some of the reasons to root:

Top 10 Reasons To Root Your Android Phone

DAAAM--Now that was what I needed to know.
I saw some aps i liked but indicated my phone must be rooted to use it.
So based on you. I need to take control delete the unwated crap they placed on my phone and get the ones I want installed.

You know what you just did? Right

Upvote 0
I have a feeling it doesn't work for HTC phones.

Edit: I am correct. This does not work on HTC phones due to NAND lock. You need to unlock NAND first. Here's a list of compatible and non-compatible phones.

Compatible

Samsung Galaxy S (All variants)
Backflip
Sony X10
Xperia Mini
Droid 2
Galaxy Tab
Galaxy I5700
Galaxy 3 I5800
Droid X
Samsung Acclaim
Cricket Huawei Ascend
Motorola Cliq
Huawei 8120
Hero
G1
Optimus T
Droid 1
Garmin Asus A50
Motorola Defy
LG Ally
Motorola Flipside
Motorola Milestone 2
Dell streak
X10 Mini Pro

Incompatible

Desire (requires nand unlock)
Desire HD (requires nand unlock)
Magic (unknown)
Evo (requires nand unlock)
G2 (requires nand unlock)
Archos 70 (unknown)
myTouch 3G (unknown)
Wildfire
Droid Incredible

Source: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833953

Upvote 0

Edit: I am correct. This does not work on HTC phones due to NAND lock. You need to unlock NAND first. Here's a list of compatible and non-compatible phones.

Compatible

Backflip
Sony X10
Xperia Mini
Droid 2
Galaxy Tab
Galaxy I5700
Galaxy 3 I5800
Droid X
Samsung Acclaim
Cricket Huawei Ascend
Motorola Cliq
Huawei 8120
Hero
G1
Optimus T
Droid 1
Garmin Asus A50
Motorola Defy
LG Ally
Motorola Flipside
Motorola Milestone 2
Dell streak
X10 Mini Pro

Incompatible

Magic (unknown)
Archos 70 (unknown)
myTouch 3G (unknown)
Wildfire
Droid Incredible

Source: [APP] z4root - xda-developers

Good ole XDA.. nice fine, snapper.fishes.

The "almost" in my thread title is now explained in detail. ;)

Upvote 0

Compatible

Backflip
Sony X10
Xperia Mini
Droid 2
Galaxy Tab
Galaxy I5700
Galaxy 3 I5800
Droid X
Samsung Acclaim
Cricket Huawei Ascend
Motorola Cliq
Huawei 8120
Hero
G1
Optimus T
Droid 1
Garmin Asus A50
Motorola Defy
LG Ally
Motorola Flipside
Motorola Milestone 2
Dell streak
X10 Mini Pro

Incompatible

Magic (unknown)
Archos 70 (unknown)
myTouch 3G (unknown)
Wildfire
Droid Incredible

Source: [APP] z4root - xda-developers

I just tried loading Z4Root on my Witstech A81-E and it seems to root that tablet without issue...

Upvote 0
I have read all the infor I could find and android has many different phones out there. All the infor specific how to is reladed to some other phone than mine. When I attempt to go into settings I get different information and locations than wat was specified by the person giving the how to. Is there anyone out there with specifics on how to with my phone?

ndroid galaxy-s vibrant

Upvote 0
Ok, question to new DroidX owner. Are there any dangers to doing this? I mean, do you install, then go to the App Tray/Homescreen, and drag and drop these unwanted apps out, or is there more to this. I don't want to screw something up, and I would not know if I did, because I cannot BEGIN to understand the full potential of this device, and may have issues down the road when I am more saavy.

Upvote 0
Ok, question to new DroidX owner. Are there any dangers to doing this? I mean, do you install, then go to the App Tray/Homescreen, and drag and drop these unwanted apps out, or is there more to this. I don't want to screw something up, and I would not know if I did, because I cannot BEGIN to understand the full potential of this device, and may have issues down the road when I am more saavy.

Dangers, well yes there is, my Galaxy S is now bricked because of the OCLF, very laggy now cos it fails to boot. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Upvote 0
Dangers, well yes there is, my Galaxy S is now bricked because of the OCLF, very laggy now cos it fails to boot. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Your phone isn't bricked, maybe soft bricked. Download Odin and follow the instructions. It'll reset everything for you.

btw, I used oclf to root my phone several times, never had a problem with it. I'm not sure the OCLF is what's causing the lag.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones