1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

An app that list out apps that use GPS

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Seks, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Seks

Seks Newbie
    None

Dec 31, 2013
    Is there such thing?

I'm trying to determine what specific app it is that I have that keeps on turning on the GPS on my S4 4.3.

I use Memory Booster Lite to re-claim some memory from time to time. Whenever I use that, the GPS icon in the status bar goes away. But after a few minutes, it comes back on.

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    1) Memory booster apps use more memory that they "save". To Android, unused memory is wasted memory. Unlike Windows, where it's best to have as much free memory as possible, with Android it best to have as little free memory as possible. Read RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care

2) You can tell which app is currently using GPS (someone could write an app to do that), but writing an app to determine which apps COULD use GPS is unreasonable. The phone would spend most of its time running that app.

Just kill the memory booster app so you don't know which app is using what and your Android will work the way it was designed to work.

3. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    "memory booster" sounds like a task killer by another name, so I second the advice to kill it.

You could use a permissions explorer app to see which apps are capable of using GPS: "fine location" permission is what you are looking for. AddOns Detector or most security apps can do this. Doesn't itself tell you which is using it, but it will narrow it down.

4. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    I have this permission manager

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.infolife.permission

I have literally about a hundred apps with fine location permission. But it sorts by when the permission was most recently used and that helps narrow it down (even though fine and coarse are lumped together for sorting purposes, you can still tap on the recent ones to get more details on which permission was used when).

I'd heard some people complain about Google...look k in your Google settings app.

5. Seks

Seks Newbie
    None

Dec 31, 2013
  6. electricpete

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    Glad that worked out.

I took a peek at mine... It says Google Play Services accessed my location "0 minutes ago" (i. e. continuos).

Then I turned off my wifi, data, gps, waited 5 minutes, exited and reentered the application still says 0 minutes. ago after 5 minutes including exiting/reentering the application.

Then put to airplane mode, waited another few minutes... now it s still says last accessed 3 minutes ago. So I deduce that it was figuring my location from my phone signal.

I may not have the same problem you had...I haven't seen anything automatically turn on my gps ever that I can remember, and not a lot of GPS usage reported in GSAM.

So why did I post? I noticed that Google Play Services also accessed my contacts 7 days ago. Why the frick does Google Play need to see my contacts?

Edit - Never mind.. I answered my own question:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.gms
    "Google Play services is used to update Google apps and apps from Google Play.
    This component provides core functionality like authentication to your Google services, synchronized contacts, access to all the latest user privacy settings, and higher quality, lower-powered location based services."

7. ralphsteven

ralphsteven Member
    None

Dec 16, 2013
    Hi Seks,
    Avast antivirus has an option called "Privacy Advisor". In this tab you can see all installed apps that track your location. After you have identified these applications (if your phone is rooted) you can "freeze" them using Bloat freezer. So you get rid of these problems

8. electricpete

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    You're suggesting to freeze Google Play services and Android System ?
    That would be a bad idea.

9. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    You can however turn off Google location reporting in the location settings. That stops Google Play Services checking location. Ironically it also means that other apps can only use gps if they want location data, because you cannot enable network based location without letting Google have the info.

If you turn gps off in location settings no app can turn it on.

Personally I don't let Google have my location, but typically have gps available. Works for me, but may depend on what services you use.