• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

an app to turn off phone after fully charging

Can you charge the phone when it's off? If so wouldn't that be easier than turning it off after fully charging?

And may I ask why you'd want to to turn it off in the first place?

well i want it to auto turn off so ican put it to charge before i go to sleep, so i dont have to wake up 2 hours later to turn it off.

and idk about charging it while its off, havnt tried it.

Upvote 0
i don't know about your phone, but I have the X10 and this is not possible. The X10 comes with a Lithium Polymer battery which is very dangerously sensitive to overcharging. Because of this the phone has built in charge circuitry which will prevent the battery from charging past 100%. When it reaches 100% charging shuts off and does not begin again until the charge drops to about 95%. Because of the need for this protection, the phone is not capable of being charged while off. If you plug in a charger while it is off, it will boot up.

For this reason, an app to do what you ask is not possible on the X10 and likely will not be safe to implement into android without huge liability concerns regarding some phones. If you'd like to see what happens when you overcharge a lithium polymer (lipo) battery, log on to youtube and search for "lipo battery overcharge"

Upvote 0
i don't know about your phone, but I have the X10 and this is not possible. The X10 comes with a Lithium Polymer battery which is very dangerously sensitive to overcharging. Because of this the phone has built in charge circuitry which will prevent the battery from charging past 100%. When it reaches 100% charging shuts off and does not begin again until the charge drops to about 95%. Because of the need for this protection, the phone is not capable of being charged while off. If you plug in a charger while it is off, it will boot up.

For this reason, an app to do what you ask is not possible on the X10 and likely will not be safe to implement into android without huge liability concerns regarding some phones. If you'd like to see what happens when you overcharge a lithium polymer (lipo) battery, log on to youtube and search for "lipo battery overcharge"

ok thanks. i have an htc desire, and i think its battery is lithium ion or something, but i will still be carefull to not over charge it.... people say that you should leave your phone charging for at least an extra hour after it is fully charge, to somehow make it more charged, but im not sure if this is true, and if its safe.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones