• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

An armed society is a polite society

I can say one thing, if that happened here, and i was carrying, I wouldn't be stripping naked in the street...the police aren't always going to be there, and even when they are, you cant always count on them.

the problem these days isnt that people don't have the ability to stand up to government when need be, it's that they won't. No on has the motivation or balls to stick up for their rights. just look at the TSA scanners, a direct violation of constitutional rights...

by the way... as for the polite society thing, i don't think any society (country) could be considered a "polite society"... when you have large numbers of people, there will always be conflict

Upvote 0
Property is one thing. That's why I have insurance. If you tried to rob some one of their clothes in the US the way it currently exists, your victim may end you. And if not a bystander may do it for him. In the UK there is no reason to fear retaliation....as long as the police aren't in control.

I can say one thing, if that happened here, and i was carrying, I wouldn't be stripping naked in the street...the police aren't always going to be there, and even when they are, you cant always count on them.

the problem these days isnt that people don't have the ability to stand up to government when need be, it's that they won't. No on has the motivation or balls to stick up for their rights. just look at the TSA scanners, a direct violation of constitutional rights...
people just haven't been pushed enough...we're getting there though, give it some time.
by the way... as for the polite society thing, i don't think any society (country) could be considered a "polite society"... when you have large numbers of people, there will always be conflict

I think ( just my opinion) the original meaning of that phrase would be better stated as "...a respectful society" Politeness cannot be garnered with a firearm. Respect or fear on the other hand can.

Upvote 0
the problem these days isnt that people don't have the ability to stand up to government when need be, it's that they won't.

Don't believe it's just restricted to just "these days". It may also be not able is more likely then "won't".

Watch what you say on Facebook because you can be fired for political speech. Most states are Right to Work = No Worker Rights, i.e., you exercise you right to peaceable assemble and seek redress, boss has a different view, out the door you go.

Difficult to stand up to government when your main concern is food & shelter.

Upvote 0
What's happening now isn't about rebellion against authority. Its nothing to do with the original protest against (yet another) police shooting in London. Its just gangs out looting and mugging because they can. And arming people won't help matters, just make things worse.

These scumbags are just another symptom of a moral bankruptcy that's given us politicians merrily helping themselves to whatever they can get (the expenses scandal) and bankers running banks into the ground and then walking off with massive golden handshakes and pensions at the taxpayers expense. Is it any wonder that the thuggish elements of our society think its open season for criminal behaviour when those at the top set such bad examples and suffer little or no consequences.

Upvote 0
There was plenty of "scumbag" activity during the rebellions centuries ago in "the colonies" we now call the United States.

I think those things are peripheral to the central issues which start the whole thing. The criminal types, along with those just desperate for violent outlet to their pent up angers, sort of pollute the real reasons for the original actions. Then, those of us on the outside of it, tend to see it all as nothing more than thuggery. That's a mistake, in my opinion.

Clever reactions to such things seldom happen; it just becomes a war to restore the peace. American ghettos are full of survivors of those wars of the 60s (remember Watts, 1964?, etc).

Upvote 0
What's happening now isn't about rebellion against authority. Its nothing to do with the original protest against (yet another) police shooting in London. Its just gangs out looting and mugging because they can. And arming people won't help matters, just make things worse.

These scumbags are just another symptom of a moral bankruptcy that's given us politicians merrily helping themselves to whatever they can get (the expenses scandal) and bankers running banks into the ground and then walking off with massive golden handshakes and pensions at the taxpayers expense. Is it any wonder that the thuggish elements of our society think its open season for criminal behaviour when those at the top set such bad examples and suffer little or no consequences.
By your definition everyone is a scumbag, except for those who sit at home and watch.

Upvote 0
There was plenty of "scumbag" activity during the rebellions centuries ago in "the colonies" we now call the United States.

I think those things are peripheral to the central issues which start the whole thing. The criminal types, along with those just desperate for violent outlet to their pent up angers, sort of pollute the real reasons for the original actions. Then, those of us on the outside of it, tend to see it all as nothing more than thuggery. That's a mistake, in my opinion.

Clever reactions to such things seldom happen; it just becomes a war to restore the peace. American ghettos are full of survivors of those wars of the 60s (remember Watts, 1964?, etc).

In fact a large reason for he Boston Tea Party was that smugglers were annoyed that Official East India Company tea had been made cheaper then their smuggled Dutch tea :p

Upvote 0
1/10 are rioting for the original cause, 2/10 are rioting using that original cause as an excuse to but are actually for other causes, 7/10 are rioting because they want to and loot while at it

... at least that's the impression I'm getting.

What really makes me mad is the destruction of private property and businesses owned by fellow citizens who invested valuable time and money into their businesses, which also employ a whole bunch of other citizens who are just trying to make a living. Also... threatening the lives of others. I read a CNN article where they set fire to an apartment building with people trapped inside. I wonder what would've happened if those people weren't able to escape.

Reactions: ElasticNinja
Upvote 0
"An armed society is a polite society" .. hardly ... e.g. South Central, LA.

Two words.. Juvenile delinquency. An age old problem.

Will Adidas make a commercial from this?
c4ecbb77_article-2023874-0D5B233A00000578-576_964x976.jpg

Upvote 0
Never give up your right to keep and bare arms.

Hey Teaparty, raise taxes to so we can get this in production ASAP. Every right thinking, armed to the gills American deserves only the latest and greatest.

"A revolutionary material that will replace steel in warhead casings will bring added lethality and increase the likelihood of a hit on an enemy target, the Office of Naval Research (ONR) announced August 10.

By combining several metals with standard manufacturing techniques, High-Density Reactive Material (HDRM) has the potential to dramatically increase the explosive impact of most weapons with little or no compromise in strength or design."

Revolutionary material dramatically increases explosive force of weapons

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones