• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

An(Droid) "Does"

ChrisOliver

Lurker
Feb 23, 2010
My time with smartphones has been short, i had basic phones forever until i had a curve for about 6 months, easing me into things like having internet on my phone, i never thought i would ever want, or need that connectivity, but ive seen the light. I ordered a droid and received mine a few days after its release.

Here are a few droid "Does" stories, i thought you might want to post a few of your own, how your phone has made your own life easier.

Story one: Few days after i bought my droid, i was traveling from my home town in the bay area, back to LA and drove through santa cruz with my roomate to surf. After we got back in the car, we debated driving across a few backwoods hwyways to get to the "5" the most direct route. I said hold up, lemme check the traffic. Google Maps showed that there was a massive accident and zero traffic flow through our first choice, we looked at the second option, AGAIN big accident, lastly we look at the grapevine (section before LA) and there was a massive pileup with again, no traffic flow. Needless to say, we opted to take the scenic route. Listening to Internet radio the entire drive home.

Story two: Internet in my house fails, i bust out my droid and tether to my pc, my roomate that just bought an iphone was was depressed when showed her the error in her choice when she couldn't log online for 3 days.

Story three: Im on vacation and get an email via my droid's "assistant" application that my credit card was nearing its limit (odd as in i wasnt close last time i checked) I tether to my netbook and browse my online statements, someone had stolen my card number, made a counterfeit card and had bought 600 worth of gas at 8 stations in a couple days, i called my CC, cleared my fraudulent charges and canceled my card. Rest of my vacation is payed with cash.

Story Four: Visiting my Girlfriend at her school, She comes down with a sinus infection on top of having cramps from that time of the month, i bust out the droid and let her watch any episode of any season of her favorite tv show "Friends" (Via application jetflicks) while i play on my netbook beside her.

Story Five: Buying a bluetooth at fry's i scan the back of the package with my barcode reader, listed as 30$ on amazon, instead of 60$ at the store.

Story Six: I'm at salt lake city intl, i walk up to my departing gate, 1 hour before my flight and check the times, after confirming its my gate, i sit down in a sportsbar 15 feet from the gate and drink a beer in peace. 20 minutes before my flight departs i get a notification via my flight tracker my gate has been changed to a diffrent terminal, i pay my bill and procede the 15 minute walk to the next terminal. Barely making my flight, without my droid, i would have never gotten the gate change being confident that an airport wouldnt change gates so close to departure.

On top of these stories do i use less advanced functions every day like using my LED to find a pair of gloves in the back of my truck, google "places" to find the best cappacino and canoli within a half mile, google "translate" so i can get the correct pronunciation to insult my best friend in his native language of hungarian. Even "Tunewiki" so i can finaly figure out the lyrics in chorus of "baba o'riely" from "the who"

Every day the droid "does" saving me money, time and frustration.

Suck it Iphone

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones