1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

an easier way to switch out of Swype?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by NewChinaHand, Jul 19, 2011.

1. NewChinaHand

NewChinaHand Newbie
    None

Jul 18, 2011
    I use a Samsung Galaxy Ace.
    I live in China, so about 70% of my typing is in Chinese, for which I use the built-in Chinese typing system that comes on my phone.
    But about 30% of my typing is in English, for which I prefer to use Swype.

To switch from Chinese mode to Swype is easy. One click of Select input method>Swype and I'm there.

However, to switch back from Swype to Chinese mode is a real pain in the neck. Once in Swype, Chinese mode disappears from the input method list. It's as if Swype wants to have a monopoly on my typing methods and doesn't want to me use any other. This is entirely unfeasible living in China where I must use Chinese and Swype doesn't work for Chinese.

The only way I've figured out to switch out of Swype involves several steps:

Home screen>Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>Running> Swype> Force Stop

7 steps required to end stupid Swype! It's enough to make me not want to ever use Swype.

Can anyone tell me an easier way to end Swype and switch back to the default Chinese input mode.

Is there anyway to program my phone to follow these 7 steps with just a couple keystrokes instead? Like a shortcut?

Advertisement

2. fried chicken

fried chicken Newbie
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    Hi NCH. I'm on Samsung droid charge and using swype. I like it a lot. I think your problem applies to all swype users, for instance I can't return to my default samsung typing mode without going into settings. TY for telling me how to do that. =)

3. antoeknee

antoeknee Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 23, 2010
    Network Manager
    NW England
    OK not sure about your particular handset but on SGS start new text message and in the compose area press and hold and you should get option to choose input method.

Failing that on one of the home screens press and hold and choose shortcut from the options. Scroll down to settings and from options choose locale and text.