1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

An ideaaa, please read.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by techobsessive, Aug 9, 2010.

1. techobsessive

techobsessive Member

So at 17 (almost 18), taking Java for two years to program for Android, ive accepted that I just can't get a smart phone. Sad. Im on VZW and have a enV touch, its driving me up a wall. (I also made it go swimming with me..so thats prob. why ). So to cut things short, is it possible to take a Micro Sim card from AT&T put it in a adapter and put it in saay, a nexus one or captivate? What id do is take the no-contract pre-paid data plan of the iPad 3G, most likely the 200MB/month for $15 and use Google Voice and other various VoIP clients to use as phone and GV for texts..I pretty much have WiFi where ever I go and pretty decent AT&T 3G in my area. Yes I know, it's just not that simple. Id have to change the APN on the device to att's broadband. Tweak a heck out the phone, but..
    1.) Is it possible? Ive seen it done for a data only iPhone
    2.) It is legal right?
    Pleaseee answer.

2. SamsungVibrant

SamsungVibrant Android Expert

I dont understand your question, I couldn't follow the wording.

Are you asking if you can take the iPad sim card and put it into a captivate or vibrant?
    I don't remember, but either the iPad or iPhone uses a special smaller sized sim card, it wont fit into regular phones.
    Then again, i'm not sure if this is what you were asking.

3. techobsessive

techobsessive Member

Well I know the captivate/vibrant uses a Normal size SIM while the iPhone/iPad use a Micro SIM. But you can but adapters for like 3 bucks.
    My question is, is it possible to get the pre-paid data plan only SIM card from AT&T and use it in a Captivate or whatever and use VoIP only? Id have to change APN I know.

4. the1who

the1who Well-Known Member

Why not get Virtual Box and install Android on it as a test environment so you can do what you need to do? Then you can have Android without the phone.

5. techobsessive

techobsessive Member

So I can actually use something that works. Android Emulators are crap and the full android experience is not even there.

6. the1who

Let me find link to where they give more thorough instructions than myself.

7. the1who

This seems to give better process of VirtualBox. I have installed on this Windows 7 64 machine to run Visio, and then installed it on another co-workers Windows 7 64 machine so he could end up using Visio. Visio version we had runs a 16 bit installer which Windows 7 doesn't support, so we had to create a virtual OS with Windows XP to run it. Works flawlessly:

How To Run Android on Your Home PC with Virtualbox - Make Tech Easier

Other links through Google, to spare the sharing of links on there:

Google

Samsung Vibrant Forum

The Samsung Vibrant release date was August 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

August 2010
Release Date
Reviews