• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help An issue with broadband tethering

argedion

The TechnoFrog
Jun 20, 2011
The Infernal Swamp
Can someone please help this member out this is a pm sent to me. thanks yall

I have a zte force N9100 android ver. 4.0.4 with boostmobile. The area I use the phone in has great 4G LTE service. The phone is not rooted.

My issue; the area we live does not have broadband available so I am tethering my phone to my desktop and using the internet connection (w/root) for all my internet needs. I have a 5 gig plan. I have successfully tethered my phone and connected to the internet and tested out the connection using pdanet +. It works just fine. I also used ookla speed test to look at ping, download and upload capabilities of the connection thru my desktop browser. (ping 65-75 ms, download 8-9 MB/sec upload 4-6 MB/sec)

The problem comes when I try to play league of legends or online games on my desktop while tethered to my phone. The games I play rely heavily on low latency or ping to be competitive. In game, exclusively while playing league of legends the game itself shows my connection ping to be anything from 190 ms to 350 ms. This perplexes me and i don't know why the ping would vary so much from an ookla speed test to an online game.

I am trying to understand more about the issue and find out a number of things. If my phone is the reason for the high ping? If so, is there an app or a way to alter my phone to lower the ping in-game while using my phone's tethered 4G internet connection. I am up for all suggestions

I should also note that the desktop I used to play league of legends (LoL) when hooked up to high speed broadband consistently had a ping of 70 ms-110 ms)

Thank you for all your help and taking the time to read through this. I hope you have a wonderful day!

orangey

Well tethering from a phone is always going to have much slower internet speeds than being connected to broadband. SpeedTest's servers are optimized for ping and speed tests. I can get 50 mbps down on SpeedTest but I get like 15mpbs down when I test with a personal server. I haven't actually played League before but from what I gather, they have one main server and your physical distance to that server can affect your ping. Sorry I didn't elaborate much. I didn't have much time to explain all the technicalities behind why it's slower.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones