• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"An SD card is required to download..."

KayLeeKO94

Lurker
Nov 13, 2021
Trying to make a long story short...
I have an elliptical that runs on an android 2.2 tablet. Elliptical software was glitching, so I followed the on line instructions from the manufacturer to fix it. It had me uninstall the ifit software and now for some reason, the SD card options are greyed out, even when inserting a SD card. I can't redownload the elliptical software because it states "an sd card is required to download". Manufacturer had me do a couple things that didn't work (long holding the greyed out options) and stated something about a 'virtual' SD card and had me pay to send me a USB drive to 'fix' the problem, but it didn't. They now want me to buy a new elliptical instead. (Elliptical is not in warranty, its old). I can verify USB does work, as the elliptical launches software from the USB. But the USB drive they sent didn’t fix the problem. I've read that people have bypassed the whole "no SD card" when attempting to download something, so that's what I've been attempting to do.

I'm attempting to connect my PC ( via USB) to the android tablet/elliptical to go around to reinstall the software on it. However, I cannot get the android to show up in my PC. I've tried using Android Studio (Not very good at navigating so I could be doing something wrong), enabling/disabling USB debugging mode, using AnyDriod, and google search to try and figure out why I can't view the internal storage but I'm at a loss. I verified the USB cord is a data transfer cord. I don't have an app store on the android device (can't download one either), and the only "file manager" I have is an app called ASTRO, but it's broken and when launches takes me to a webpage that never loads and states “Error creating external cache”. Also, the web browser is old/outdated on the tablet, so I can't even access some websites.

Really I am open to any way that I can either 1) Access internal storage to android from my PC or 2)Make a virtual SD card on the android to download the ifit software. Or tell me I'm SOL and wasting my time.

Freemotion 570 elliptical

Android version 2.2

model sec_smdkv210

First time posting, so let me know if you need any other information.

EDIT: Other info in about device section, not sure if needed
baseband version" States "unknown"
kernel version: 2.6.32.9 root@lucky #380 Thu Jun 9 11:35:11 CST 2011
build number: sec_smdkv210-eng 2.2 FRF91 eng.chenqifu.20110609. 153109 test-keys

Last edited:
Reactions: shaund77
Yes, it came with the elliptical and is built into the unit.
well that's the rub, not sure what you can do. it might be android based, but manufacturer's can manipulate it so that doing anything to the software would be difficult. if their solution does not work, i'm afraid there is not much you can do at this point. it should still run though....yes? you can just use it without using there software. you can just run a heart rate monitor to help you judge performance.

android 2.2 is very obsolete and i would not be surprised that they do not have any software that still runs on it.

Upvote 0
well that's the rub, not sure what you can do. it might be android based, but manufacturer's can manipulate it so that doing anything to the software would be difficult. if their solution does not work, i'm afraid there is not much you can do at this point. it should still run though....yes? you can just use it without using there software. you can just run a heart rate monitor to help you judge performance.

android 2.2 is very obsolete and i would not be surprised that they do not have any software that still runs on it.

While I could still use the elliptical, I can't use the other functions like ramps or resistance without the software.
*Sigh* I figured since the android version was so old that might be the case.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
While I could still use the elliptical, I can't use the other functions like ramps or resistance without the software.
*Sigh* I figured since the android version was so old that might be the case.
yeah i was thinking about getting a peleton bike, but it is currenlty running on android 7.0 which has me worried for your very same reason. i can maybe envision that the company will only support the device for 3-4 more years......$1500 is such an investment for it to only last that long.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Your Android version is so old that it very likely has such limited memory that it cannot download anything without an SD card.

My mother's old Samsung Galaxy has 2.3.6 and is that way.

What you might try to do is put the SD card in a more modern device (like the phone you use daily) and download the software you need then move it to the card.

Then uninstall the card, remove it from your phone, and pit it into the old device.

Then try to install the software from the SD card.

Upvote 0
Your Android version is so old that it very likely has such limited memory that it cannot download anything without an SD card.

My mother's old Samsung Galaxy has 2.3.6 and is that way.

What you might try to do is put the SD card in a more modern device (like the phone you use daily) and download the software you need then move it to the card.

Then uninstall the card, remove it from your phone, and pit it into the old device.

Then try to install the software from the SD card.

Even if I were to get the items on the SD card, the option to mount or format an SD card is greyed out on the machine. It won't read an SD card. That function somehow broke.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Trying to make a long story short...
I have an elliptical that runs on an android 2.2 tablet. Elliptical software was glitching, so I followed the on line instructions from the manufacturer to fix it. It had me uninstall the ifit software and now for some reason, the SD card options are greyed out, even when inserting a SD card. I can't redownload the elliptical software because it states "an sd card is required to download". Manufacturer had me do a couple things that didn't work (long holding the greyed out options) and stated something about a 'virtual' SD card and had me pay to send me a USB drive to 'fix' the problem, but it didn't. They now want me to buy a new elliptical instead. (Elliptical is not in warranty, its old). I can verify USB does work, as the elliptical launches software from the USB. But the USB drive they sent didn’t fix the problem. I've read that people have bypassed the whole "no SD card" when attempting to download something, so that's what I've been attempting to do.

I'm attempting to connect my PC ( via USB) to the android tablet/elliptical to go around to reinstall the software on it. However, I cannot get the android to show up in my PC. I've tried using Android Studio (Not very good at navigating so I could be doing something wrong), enabling/disabling USB debugging mode, using AnyDriod, and google search to try and figure out why I can't view the internal storage but I'm at a loss. I verified the USB cord is a data transfer cord. I don't have an app store on the android device (can't download one either), and the only "file manager" I have is an app called ASTRO, but it's broken and when launches takes me to a webpage that never loads and states “Error creating external cache”. Also, the web browser is old/outdated on the tablet, so I can't even access some websites.

Really I am open to any way that I can either 1) Access internal storage to android from my PC or 2)Make a virtual SD card on the android to download the ifit software. Or tell me I'm SOL and wasting my time.

Freemotion 570 elliptical

Android version 2.2

model sec_smdkv210

First time posting, so let me know if you need any other information.

EDIT: Other info in about device section, not sure if needed
baseband version" States "unknown"
kernel version: 2.6.32.9 root@lucky #380 Thu Jun 9 11:35:11 CST 2011
build number: sec_smdkv210-eng 2.2 FRF91 eng.chenqifu.20110609. 153109 test-keys
Im having the exact same problem. the mount sd card is greyed out. im assuming its a virtual sd partition of the memory that i need to reformat so the system can access it and i assume as a temp/cache location. support sent me instructions to download a clubfix that i enter into the web browser but i get an error of no sd card. so i downloaded it on my pc and loaded ont o a usb stick. used my astro manager in the elliptical/tablet and opened it from usb. installed the ifit app but keep getting an ifit white screen cycle. im going to attempt connecting to my pc with a data transfer cable and see if i can fix the virtual sd partition. this is brutal that just a firmware update would cause this. im also going to try and see if i can make a micro sd card showup from the card slot on the tablet. maybe the tablet will recognize and use that as a cache location. ive read that it cant be a high capacity card so ill track one down and try.

Upvote 0
Even if I were to get the items on the SD card, the option to mount or format an SD card is greyed out on the machine. It won't read an SD card. That function somehow broke.

Is a SD card in the device when this is greyed out?

Have you tried putting a SD card into it that has already been formatted in another Android device?

The card will not need to be formatted or mounted, as it should be inserted when the device is off.

Upvote 0
Is a SD card in the device when this is greyed out?

Have you tried putting a SD card into it that has already been formatted in another Android device?

The card will not need to be formatted or mounted, as it should be inserted when the device is off.
i tried formating it FAT, FAT 32/ exFAT in my pc then i always insert or remove the card while the machine is off.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones