1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General An update in regards to Bob Cat, long time AF Moderator

Discussion in 'Site Updates & Announcements' started by Phases, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Phases

Phases Community Manager
    Administrator Thread Starter

Sep 9, 2008
    Male
    IT, Vbulletin and Xenforo Administrator
    Nashville, TN
    [USERGROUP=4]@Moderating[/USERGROUP] [USERGROUP=16]@Guides[/USERGROUP] (and everyone else)

All,

It's time for me to deliver some sad news. I've just learned that longtime AF moderator, Bob Cat, passed away last week. He had been battling some serious health complications the past few years, and he hung on strong for a long time. He will be missed :(

325338.jpg

His time here was, well, not like I have to say it, but he was here with AF a long time. He's been on staff for over four years, quickly made his way to moderator, and single handedly worked the Classifieds section for years. It was his baby, as far as AF goes. He was dedicated to his role, as he was to his friends here. He was even part of the team that volunteered to help get other forum's teams acclimated and train them.

He cared for his friends here, staff and members alike, and always did right by them. My thoughts are with his family and friends during this difficult time. He was a good man, and he will be missed by many, I know.

It is my understanding he will be cremated and his ashes will be spread around parts of Florida, his beloved home state.

I know this is the internet, I know that most of us have never met Mike in real life, and I know to many people the internet is another world where things don't count as much. Friends don't mean as much, it's somehow less real. But, I can assure you the friendships Mike made here were real, and this has been a hard road especially for him, but indeed for our own staff to witness. It has, no doubt, been a hard journey. Mike fought it like a champ, that's for sure..

RIP Mike.

Advertisement

#1 Phases, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    BC was a hero in every sense of the word - served his country, started a successful small business after that, and battled pain like a champion. Loved his family and friends without reservation.

We used to chat for hours on into the night and in the early morning - we drank a LOT of coffee during those times.

BC was my friend and I shall miss him a lot.

I'd like to extend my deepest condolences to his family and close personal friends.

3. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Farewell ... I wonder what's next for you.

... Thom

4. Unforgiven

Unforgiven OK Google

Jun 23, 2010
    Male
    Douglas, MA
    BC, You were a true friend, the best you can find on the Internet, and certainly part of this online family here at AndroidForums.com. I have missed you greatly while you battled, and if I know you at all, you battled tenaciously. May you rest in peace, and may your family be comforted that you are no longer suffering.

Rest in Peace my friend.:(

5. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    I've known Mike since he joined AF and had the honor to reply to his very first post.

Mike's helpfulness and unassuming nature were what made him such a great site representative and friend.

We'll miss you so much, Mike--our thoughts are with you and your family.

6. Stinky Stinky

Stinky Stinky Android Expert

Aug 31, 2010
    Monkey
    In a Dumpster!
    Wow this is very sad :(

I used to chat with him every now and then - he was such a wonderful person and used to chat to me with his own spare time.

When I was sad he would cheer me up and he didn't even know me and he was just so kind to give me his spare time like that.

Dang I had no idea he was very I didn't know never told me I wish I could have had the chance to say goodbye :(

I respect and admire his strength. I admire how even though he was very ill he still gave me some of his time even though he did not have much left.

I send my gratitude and admiration to him and his family and friends.

God's speed my friend.

You will be dearly missed and thank you for the time you gave me I am very grateful.

Love

Stinky

7. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±

Sep 10, 2010
    Male
    Next to you
    Sorry to hear this news. :( I met Mike when I became a guide, then continued getting to know him better when I became a mod. He was a strong, very strong person. I've never personally met him, but from his chats and posts, he was indeed a strong, friendly person.
    I wish his family peace and my condolences.
    See ya in the afterlife Mike!

8. Desend

Desend Lurker
    None

Jul 11, 2015
    Male
    Department of National Defense
    New Brunswick
    Very sad news to hear indeed.

I am a moderator on the WiiUforums where Bob Cat was assisting until it could get on his feet. We started talking a bit almost 2 years ago and it was hard to hear about his suffering health. He would pop in from time to time to give us an update on how he was doing. The news is hard to hear and hard to swallow, he was a great guy who offered all of us over there a lot of guidance. He had such a no BS attitude, it was great and made me laugh often.

He will be missed by myself and I am certain all who knew him and whomever lives he touched.

R.I.P. Big fella.

9. sumterdad

sumterdad Newbie
    None

Jun 24, 2011
    Me and Mike were like brothers. He helped me get out of a jam when I broke my leg and had to have surgery even though we were competitors in our respective plumbing business he never treated me like a competitor but like a bro. I spent alot of time with Mike and we would help each other on different jobs. My wife and little girl both loved him as if he was family. So this news is hard for me because he was family in a way to us.

Mike was a good hard working man. His wife would go on jobs with him and take a folding lounge chair and sleep in the back of his box truck. Now that was a site to see. I know he loved working on a he talked about it all the time. One of his passions was trying to see what kind of hacks he do to his phone. And he was proud to run the classifieds we talked about af alot.

So Mike know that you will be missed and we love ya

10. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Mike used to say that my zany humor would make him laugh through the pain of what he was going through. I hope I was able to ease his suffering in even a modest way and give him just a small amount of enjoyment. He deserved more.

You're dancing with the angels now, my friend. Pax vobiscum.

11. Curtis1973

Curtis1973 Android Expert
    None

Jul 1, 2012
    Male
    Greenville,SC USA
  12. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    You look up the word tough in the dictionary and it will be a picture of Mike.

He was going through hell and still happily gave his time to help the AF community, that's the kind of guy he was.

RIP Mike, you'll be sorely missed.

13. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Damn. :(

Blue skies and tailwinds, my friend.

14. MLSS

MLSS Android Expert
    None

May 20, 2013
    Male
    Director of a non profit
    Nelsonville, Ohio
  15. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    Washington, DC
    Sad news for all who love this site. BC was such an important member, friend, and teammate and will be missed dearly as a result. RIP BC. :(

16. Kaat72

Kaat72 Guest
    None
    I knew he was going through a rough time, but this news is hitting me right between the eyes. BC was a solid part of this community. Straight, fair, no bs.

See you on the flipside.

17. ogwilson

ogwilson Android Enthusiast
    Phandroid Staff

Apr 13, 2009
    Male
    Blogger, Phandroid.com
    New Berlin, WI
    Sad news :( I don't know him but it sounds like he was a great person. Mostly I am glad that the people who do know him shared enough of a connection that the loss feels real to them even over the internet, that speaks a lot for his character even to someone who'd never even spoken a word to him. My condolences go with the family, both online and off.

18. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

May 2, 2010
    Making the Establishment nervous
    Iowa|USA
    To a great man...RIP brother.

19. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    Mike, you were (and remain) an inspiration. You ran your race with grace and dignity, and I sadly wish you Fair Winds and Following Seas. Rest in Peace. :'(

20. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor

Oct 4, 2009
    Male
    Database Programmer, Sprint Advocate
    Queens, NY
    With every sad news, comes a blessing in disguise. And the blessing here is that he will continue his passion, dedication and love that he spread here will continue up in the grand forum of the sky. He will be sorely miss but not forgotten. Godspeed and thanks

21. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    I only knew Bob Cat as the Mod who kept the classifieds purring along,with the perfect balance of tact/character & kindness,not an easy task for anyone,especially when dealing w/others possessions/money/etc......

It's not hard to imagine him as an even better person outside the forum or,in the PM's
    /chats he had w/those here fortunate enough to make his acquaitnence.

From all the posts of those close to him,he definitely sounds like he was a Pay It Forward kind of guy.
    Perhaps we all could best honor him by performing one random act of kindness,whether it be for a stranger,or,someone close to you,no matter the gesture.

May everlasting peace be with you Bob Cat. :thumbsupdroid:

22. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 1, 2009
    UK
    Goodbye Mike. :(

There's a lot I'm not really sure I can put to words right now. But, I do know that if there's a heaven and it has a classifieds section, they aren't going to know what hit 'em.

23. Cyberdev

Cyberdev Android Expert
    Recognized Developer

Sep 12, 2014
    Female
    Daily YouTuber
    Tampa, FL
    Aww im sorry for AF losses bet he was a great person hope

24. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    I never had a chance to visit with Mike, but as the main Moderator on a forum elsewhere, I know the dedication it takes to make it run smooth, and keep the family community feel.

Rest In Peace Mike, sorry I missed you.

25. Curtis1973

Curtis1973 Android Expert
    None

Jul 1, 2012
    Male
    Greenville,SC USA
    never met him on AF but i have met others like him in my travels online. its people like him that help build strong communities like an AF or xda. and when their gone...they are missed. and i can definitely relate to being taken ill and the fight that is. not a life threatening scale like bc but i can understand the pain aspect. best wishes to his family and all of his friends. he is no longer in pain that we do know.