1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

An update in regards to Bob Cat, long time AF Moderator

Discussion in 'Site Updates & Announcements' started by Phases, Jul 11, 2015.

1. scotty85

scotty85 Extreme Android User

It's hard to type this thru the tears in my eyes. I've been dreading this day since he told me of its inevitable arrival. We had similar interests besides phones and often chatted about cars,trucks,work and other things. I'm glad to have had the chance to know him,as many have said he was a hero and an inspiration.

I'll miss you for sure BC. RIP,my friend.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. olbriar

olbriar  

I'm a much better man for having known BC. To serve with him has been a true honor... inspiration. To say the man was dedicated to the betterment of these forums doesn't come close to describe his desire to make these forums the best environment for everyone to enjoy. To say he'll be missed falls way short of acknowledging everything he did in his years of service. He was a great guy and a true friend. RIP BC.

3. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender

I've been staring at this thread for a while today and I still am at a loss for words. BC was a very strong, caring and inspiration individual. You will be deeply and sorely missed my friend. See you in the future sir.

4. CYCONUMNUM

CYCONUMNUM Android Expert

I've never met him..
    But, I feel the love and loss expressed...
    R.I.P. Mike
    Take care where you are

5. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

I see some folks posting that they hadn't met Mike, but wish they had. I'd like to offer an anecdote from another forum about him that was typical BC.

We were dealing with a typical forum troll. Every tool in the moderators toolbox had been exhausted short of a permanent ban (which this particular member had already evaded and signed up under a new name). The dude was the worst of the worst.

Well, Mike decided to let up on his typical tough guy, no nonsense self. He asked us other mods for some leeway to try a different tact. He recognized that the "punk" was a teenager. Not only was he a teenager that didn't understand how his actions were being felt, he was as lost interacting in real life as he was on forums. BC reached out to this young man in his still stern fashion, but with a fatherly, mentoring tone. As anyone that knew him, there was no straying from the straight and narrow, but he spilled pages of counsel on this young man. He explained the consequences of his choices, in both is online persona, but his real life persona. I watched that conversation happen in real time, and watched him make a real difference in that young man's life. He didn't big time him, he mentored him. He reached him. I watched that young man come to respect and adore Mike, for both his honesty and forthright advice.

It's just a little story that occurred to me while reading the responses in this thread. I'm sure there are a million more. That was the Mike I knew.

6. Kaylesh

Kaylesh Member

:(
    I was saddened to see this news this morning. He was always present in the forums. My thoughts and condolences go out to his family, friends and all who knew him..
    .. xx <3 <3

7. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Omg god dude i want to build a rom dedicating to him a special rom or app that will show how much android forums cares, i need permission to do that from android forums and have a pic of him i can create a default wallpaper or collodge.

8. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

Just coming in to give my condolences. Bobcat was a good man and will be missed :(

9. Omar Days

Omar Days Android Expert

Sounded like a great man. This is sad to hear.

rip

10. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

My condolences to everyone who knew him, both online and in real life.

R.I.P. Bob Cat.

11. scotty85

That's a great story,unforgiven. Thanks so much for posting it,that is indeed just like him. He always helped calm me down when I'd get frustrated with users that were for one reason or another pushing my buttons. There are a couple I'd have not been able to help without him :)

12. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

Never met him or spoke, but from what you all say, I wish I had. RIP

13. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

Ah shit I'm sorry guys. I never knew him but I feel for you all. Stay strong peeps. RIP xxx
    Thanks for the story btw @Unforgiven, it helps me realise the type of man he was.
    Think I'd have liked him a lot :)

#38 funkylogik, Jul 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  14. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Damn. Sorry, just don't have the words, and everyone else has said it better than I could anyway. He was one of the guys who made this place what it is, and I only wish I had known him in RL.

RIP Mike.

15. psycho_death6

psycho_death6 Newbie

Even though I don't know much about him, I'll still respect the influence he had. RIP

16. Krlypumaa

Krlypumaa Android Expert

BC... You closed the chapter of you life with the many reasons to live.
    You spent your sharing with purpose of giving. Your love stumbled for more love to those close to you.
    Amazing, humble, dedicated.
    God bless your fam. With strength in their new chapter.

Attached Files:

17. MonDillinger

MonDillinger Well-Known Member

Oh wow, I didn't know Mike and I'm new to AF, but my prayers go out to his loved ones. It would seem from the comments that he was a great person with a magnificent spirit, and what better way to transcend the waves of the internet than by touch the lives of others with good vibes. RIP, sir.

18. tommo47

tommo47 On Yer Bike, In Yer Chair
    VIP Member

I didn't know Bob Cat, but what I do know, having read these tributes, is that I've missed out on something very special.

My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

RIP Mike.

amarie82, iowabowtech, KOLIO and 12 others like this.
  19. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

^^ditto. Wish I'd known him now.
    Almost feel like I do via these tributes :)

20. TedBear2

TedBear2 Newbie

Sorry to hear that!

amarie82, iowabowtech, KOLIO and 10 others like this.
  21. ThreeFree

ThreeFree Newbie

RIP dude!

Time stops for no one,
    the world continues and will bring tomorrow,
    what does tomorrow hold,
    you be the judge and maker for that.

All you leave behind is the memories,
    good or bad for all you did,
    Rest In Peace brother!!

God Bless!

amarie82, iowabowtech, KOLIO and 10 others like this.
  22. scotty85

I am glad that you feel that way :)

It is difficult to touch or influence people these days,especially across the written words of an an internet forum. But BC did it very well, and to many :)

23. Rhyghtman

Rhyghtman Lurker

Deep condolences to his family

24. rootkings

rootkings On Probation

25. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

"The measure of a man is what he does with power"

Plato

Requiescat In Pace

ThePhizzle, Thom, amarie82 and 12 others like this.