1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Analysing output from My tracks

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by bind00, Sep 12, 2011.

1. bind00

bind00 Member
    None

Aug 31, 2010
    Hello
    I took my phone out windsurfing today and it said my max speed was 62.79km/h. I'd love it to be true but it does seem a bit fast even if some gusts were probably not far short.

Are there any free of low cost apps, for phone or Windoze, that help you analyse the collected data in more detail. A graph of speed against time would be good. Or anything. Currently I just export to Google Maps and get simple averages and maximums.

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. Harry2

Harry2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    Take a look at 'SpeedView'.

Harry

3. bind00

bind00 Member
    None

Aug 31, 2010
    Danke Harry,
    Looks good. I'll give it a try for future trips.

But I'm looking for something that can interpret existing tracks already recorded in My Tracks. Presumably these data are basically a sequence of location coordinates each with a time stamp. I could probably do what I want to do in a spreadsheet with those two columns but I don't know how to extract the raw data. And I might find there are more points than I can comfortably deal with. That's why I thought there must be something out there already.

4. bind00

bind00 Member
    None

Aug 31, 2010
    I tried exporting to Google Docs but that just puts the same aggregated statistics into a spreadsheeet. And to Google Earth, but that's the same. The journey is split into five apparently arbitrary sections, the meaning of which isn't clear to me. Maybe it's all aggregated on the fly and the finer detail doesn't exist anymore (?).

It seems likely to me that the max speed might be caused by a bad location reading. It would be better to be able to see the max speed over a set distance, say 100m.

5. Harry2

Harry2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    I see.

At one of my maps&GPS journeys I saw a tracking app which afterwards can analyse its recorded tracks on the SD card. The file format has to be .csv and so you could your 'My Tracks' tracks export as .csv files :)
    EDIT: Sorry, home page says only the app's own recording .csv :(

The app generates a kind of speed chart and its name is 'Path Tracking'.

EDIT: Generally I see with this kind of measurement a problem because of the inaccuracy of the GPS coordinates.
    A raw track shows a zigzag line because of this inaccuracy.
    But for to create chart with speed over distance you'll need to calculate the speed at every coordinates point of the track.

Harry

bind00 likes this.
  6. bind00

bind00 Member
    None

Aug 31, 2010
    Yes, I'm starting to think that I'll need to record in a different format. I can't see any export format from My Tracks that would give higher granularity. I went out again today and it said I hit 90km/h which makes me the world wind powered water speed record holder! It's a shame and makes the max speed figure meaningless because only one bad reading will send it all out.

OK, I just looked at Path Tracking and that sounds good. At the very least, with CSV, I could do what I want in a spreadsheet and the speed chart should avoid the need for that.
    Danke noch mal.