1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

And here comes a monkey wrench...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Chapp1e, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Chapp1e

Chapp1e Android Enthusiast

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Blanco720

Blanco720 Android Enthusiast

Text from article.

"Anyone planning of getting a new Inspire 4G, take note. This internal document from AT&T might weigh heavily in your decision. While AT&T has decided they won't be charging more for their 4G service, they will require anyone using a 4G device to get a new plan.

According to the memo, the data tiers for 4G are the same as the 3G plans, namely $15 for each 200 MB or 2 GB for $25.00 (with $10 per GB overage). This means unlimited data in no longer an option, because you will have to change plans. We have no idea how this will affect customers with unlimited data grandfathered in who buy a phone off-contract and just drop their SIM card in, but I would imagine AT&T can tell with a little bit of auditing. Will this affect your buying decision? Sound off in the forums! "

3. YouGotRedOnYou

YouGotRedOnYou Android Enthusiast

WTF!?!?! This is not cool! It won't affect me since I lost my unlimited date when I changed to a family plan, but it's ridiculous to force this on a , thus far, shoddy 4G service that's anything but 4G yet.

4. kb58

kb58 Well-Known Member

It was only a matter of time... and you know every other carrier will do the very same thing eventually. They aren't about to allow people using 10 GB for free on their system. Yeah it sucks, but don't think for an instant that ATT is somehow unique about profits and network loading.

5. Blanco720

I have never even hit 200 mb, but I sure as hell planned to when I get the Inspire. Ill probably be switching to the 5g family data for $55.

Maybe this will increase ATT speeds even further. It will probably make a lot of us more dependent upon WiFi.

6. Air Force One

Air Force One Android Enthusiast

If they keep this policy, I'm gone to Verizon. If I don't get to keep my unlimited data, I'm going to do it on Verizon where they have better Android devices.

7. YouGotRedOnYou

I see it as them doing away with unlimited data completely, but it's still a shot to the nuts of those who are grandfathered in.

8. sgt50

sgt50 Newbie

If this is true and I cannot keep my unlimited plan, I will go to Big Red and use their unlimited data.

9. NJR

NJR Well-Known Member

From what I understand all plans including unlimited will be mirrored. You just can't sign up for unlimited if you don't already have it...sames as before. You do have to call up and switch to the 4G version though

10. Blanco720

Which device would be better than the 2 that are available in the next 3 weeks?

AT&T still has 12 more to announce.....

11. Chapp1e

Very few people can use 10gb if they try. The low average is under 2 for heavy smartphone users, and the high is somewhere around four.

10gb = obvious tether exploitation to the 10th power. Customers who do that usually get shut down on ATT, in fact there are many people over at xda who have experienced this. It usually happens around 6gb.

12. Chapp1e

Agreed in theory, but if I can't use em the way I would normally, it doesn't matter much.

13. YouGotRedOnYou

If this is actually the case, then it's a non-issue. But....if not...wow, there will be lots of pissed off people.

14. Blanco720

I understand if you have to go. Ultimately Verizon will probably adjust theirs as well. Only time will tell.

15. Blanco720

[​IMG]

It literally says, if you have unlimited data and want to upgrade, you are forced to choose an available 4G data plan. No unlimited 4G data plan exists.

16. MarcMaiden

MarcMaiden Android Enthusiast

could also explain why they werent getting fast data speeds....on a 4g phone but their account is still on a 3g data plan...

but ill have to verify this tomorrow

17. Air Force One

how about the Verizon version of the Inspire, with TRUE LTE compatibility:

"HTC ThunderBolt is a version of the Desire HD with LTE connectivity. Rest of the features include a 4.3-inch WVGA capacitive touchscreen, 1GHz Snapdragon processor, 8-megapixel camera with dual-LED flash and 720p video recording, 802.11n WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, 8GB of built-in storage that's further expandable with microSD memory cards."

HTC ThunderBolt 4G - IntoMobile

HTC Thunderbolt: A Closer Look at One of CES's Hottest Phones - PCWorld

18. YouGotRedOnYou

Good theory. I'm curious to hear how it pans out....guess this came in on your day off, eh?

19. Air Force One

Plus I bet my ass that you can replace the battery on the Thunderbolt with a much bigger one. AT&T can bite me.

20. kimtyson

kimtyson Member

How can they force me to change to a new 4G Plan when they clearly admit they don't yet have any 4G networks? In addition, I live in York, Pa. It might be a while before we get it here when they finally do roll it out. So, my plan is to stay with my grandfathered unlimited plan.

21. _Cody_

_Cody_ Member

There's a family data plan on AT&T? Since when

22. Chapp1e

Interested to hear your findings Marc.

Now I'm upset I sold my iPhone...

23. YouGotRedOnYou

This was inevitable, I think. Just glad they haven't raised the data rates. There's a very strong possibility that all networks are going in the same direction, since they constantly mirror each other's moves.

24. Chapp1e

Don't think it was inevitable. If anything, I think bringing back unlimited plans would be more likely. Sprint offers it on their WiMax service, and Verizon will be offering it with their LTE service. There's no reason this should not run in line with what is the current business standard. Especially when this is technically still 3G.

25. lsutigers03

lsutigers03 Android Enthusiast

Does Verizon have unlimited mobile to mobile on any network?