• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

andftp! another punch at iphone?

drwits

Nov 10, 2009
brooklyn
ran into a small problem yesterday when i needed to send a 60mb mp3 (a whole set of music) to some people. obviously it's too large to send with email... found a great ftp program in the market called AndFTP... and yes it's free! uploaded the 60mb file with an avg speed of 60kb/sec!

looked into whether or not the iphone can do this... looks like you have to spend $10 for a decent ftp program if you're an iphone user. somebody mind looking further into this? so i can throw another punch when i'm arguing with my fanboy friends.

Wow awesome find! I guess i gotta relearn how to implement and use FTP servers. Ill try out phwaaps suggestion about pureftpd on freebsdm but if there are other suggestions or a friendly newbie guide please let me know. thanks!

I actually fuond Proftp to be easier to set up, once I started reading. But I did have to add a line to get it working right from external IP's

It was this:

MasqueradeAddress <My DNS>

Upvote 0
somebody mind looking further into this? so i can throw another punch when i'm arguing with my fanboy friends.

what are you going to say, they both do it, and yes there are free ftp apps for the iphone. There are still more and better apps out there for the iphone, and should be it has been around longer. In two years or so when the android OS matures more, then apple will have a real competitor on there hands.

I really hate when people argue that one phone is better than another, it all comes down to what you like. I could say the Motorola RAZR is the best phone and it might be true if it does what I want.

Upvote 0
Need some help regardin ftp server....I dled the filezilla server client and want to set up an internal server on my wireless LAN. However, I'm not sure how to connect from the andftp client on android? What server ip address do I type in? I've read that the default server ip 127.0.0.1 is not right. any tips? thanks

Upvote 0
Need some help regardin ftp server....I dled the filezilla server client and want to set up an internal server on my wireless LAN. However, I'm not sure how to connect from the andftp client on android? What server ip address do I type in? I've read that the default server ip 127.0.0.1 is not right. any tips? thanks

127.0.0.1 is the local "loopback" IP address of every computer. It is used for testing, and when you ping it or try to trace to it, you're actually pinging yourself.

If you're setting up a server on your home wifi network, you should open a command prompt on your computer that will be serving the FTPd, and type "ipconfig"... the Wireless IPv4 address is the one you're looking for to connect to. Put that into your phone, and make sure if you have a router with a built in firewall that you open the correct port to the server machine.

Upvote 0
127.0.0.1 is the local "loopback" IP address of every computer. It is used for testing, and when you ping it or try to trace to it, you're actually pinging yourself.

If you're setting up a server on your home wifi network, you should open a command prompt on your computer that will be serving the FTPd, and type "ipconfig"... the Wireless IPv4 address is the one you're looking for to connect to. Put that into your phone, and make sure if you have a router with a built in firewall that you open the correct port to the server machine.

So i'm guessing that's the 192 address of my machine on my LAN. Well in that case, would I connect on the default port of 21? I also noticed the server settings listing a listen in port of 14147, should be connecting at that one? Anyways, I'm pretty sure there is no firewall that I configured for the router. I'll play around more with this later today.

Upvote 0
ran into a small problem yesterday when i needed to send a 60mb mp3 (a whole set of music) to some people. obviously it's too large to send with email... found a great ftp program in the market called AndFTP... and yes it's free! uploaded the 60mb file with an avg speed of 60kb/sec!

looked into whether or not the iphone can do this... looks like you have to spend $10 for a decent ftp program if you're an iphone user. somebody mind looking further into this? so i can throw another punch when i'm arguing with my fanboy friends.
here is good line for you which I guaranteed that you stopped the fanboys on their tracks. " I bet you can't change your battery?" :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
So i'm guessing that's the 192 address of my machine on my LAN. Well in that case, would I connect on the default port of 21? I also noticed the server settings listing a listen in port of 14147, should be connecting at that one? Anyways, I'm pretty sure there is no firewall that I configured for the router. I'll play around more with this later today.

If you're only transfering on WiFi, then yes... if you plan on transfering while NOT on your own home network, then you need to go to whatsmyip.org on your computer that is running the FTP server, and open the proper ports on your router/modem so you can access it through the internet.

Otherwise, you've got it right. I think.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones