• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 10 - 2-button card navigation changed

MikeWhoIsTall

Lurker
Sep 25, 2019
In Android 9, I had the ability to long press the little home "pellet" (not sure for the official term), and drag it to the right to scroll previous app cards into view. The farther right I dragged it, the faster the app cards would move to the right.

I just updated to Android 10, and this feature seems to be gone. Even in 2-button navigation I must swipe for each app card I want scroll through. So if I want the app that is 5 cards to the left, I need to swipe 5 times. Previously I could drag the home button the right once and hold, and watch the app cards scroll by until the one I wanted came into view.

I looked at the navigation settings - Gestures, 2-button and 3-button. None of them have the old "Hold and drag" mechanic to scroll through apps.

Is there any way to get this back in Android 10?

In Android 9, I had the ability to long press the little home "pellet" (not sure for the official term), and drag it to the right to scroll previous app cards into view. The farther right I dragged it, the faster the app cards would move to the right.

I just updated to Android 10, and this feature seems to be gone. ...

I looked at the navigation settings - Gestures, 2-button and 3-button. None of them have the old "Hold and drag" mechanic to scroll through apps.

Is there any way to get this back in Android 10?

I think I answered my own question, but I still don't like the new behavior. You can swipe up on the home button (again this is in 2-button navigation), and you will be put into "card scroll mode" (best I can describe it). From there you can swipe once slowly or fast to start the scrolling of the apps across the screen. Then when your target app comes into view you can stop on it by pressing anywhere on the screen.

I still liked the old "hold-and-drag" method better

Upvote 0
The "swipe up and scroll" behaviour was the same in Android 9. You just didn't use it.

The "pull the pill to one side and hold it" has gone. I think Google just focussed on their new "all gesture" model and broke things that didn't fit, but since they also tied that to their launcher it's useless to those who don't want to use the very limited Pixel launcher. Oh, and their way of handling app switching with the Android 10 gestures is unavoidably slower and more awkward, because they are total numpties when it comes to UI design (I seriously don't understand how they are so useless at this: both the flaws and the solutions are so damned obvious a small child could see them, but it's beyond Google's ability).

It doesn't bother me so much because I never used the sideways pull on the button anyway, so the gesture I always used works the way it always did. But yeah, Google are morons, there really is little else to say about it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones