• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 10 - home screen

Hi
I recently updated my phone to android 10 and a few changes appeared in the home screen that make use a litle uncomfortable
1. When i sweep between home screens from the last to the first (circularly) the background image jump to the start and its not nice to the eye
2. I cannot create a new screen to add more shortcut, is there any option to do that?

Thanks

Absolutely: these aren't features of Android 10 itself but of whatever launcher your manufacturer included with their version of android 10. So unless we know what device you have we can't know how to help.

I'm assuming that you are using your device's stock launcher because if you were using a third party one the update would have made no difference (I primarily use Nova and changing from 9 to 10 made no difference at all to desktop behaviour, and nor would I have expected it to).

Reactions: MoodyBlues and DonB
Upvote 0
OK, I guess that Nokia use some variant on the Google launcher. What do you mean by "define" a desktop?

For the background image can you turn off wallpaper scrolling? A "jump" of some sort is unavoidable if you have a scrolling wallpaper a d circular scrolling of desktops (though there are gentler and more disruptive ways of doing it).

Edit: hmm, just tried the Pixel launcher. It has some of what you describe, i.e. you create desktops by dragging things onto them, and they disappear if you remove the last thing from them. A little awkward, but probably nothing you can do and as long as you remember it's doable. Couldn't see a way of getting an "overview" of them or rearranging them. But I also couldn't find a way of scrolling around either (you just scrolled to the end then had to scroll back) so it's not quite the same.

If you find it irritating you may be better off trying a different launcher. This just reminded me of how much I dislike Google's very limited and restricted launcher app.

Last edited:
Reactions: MoodyBlues and DonB
Upvote 0
OK, I guess that Nokia use some variant on the Google launcher. What do you mean by "define" a desktop?

For the background image can you turn off wallpaper scrolling? A "jump" of some sort is unavoidable if you have a scrolling wallpaper a d circular scrolling of desktops (though there are gentler and more disruptive ways of doing it).

The number of screens is controled by the launcher and its automatically on this one.. i looked for a way to create more screens to see if its influence the transition of the background. Its stayed the same. I'll wait for nokia update or download a new launcher..
thanks

Upvote 0
Welcome to Android Forums, Michael_M1234! :)

As others have noted, using a different launcher will solve your issue. If you're interested in seeing some of the things my favorite launcher, ADW, can do, please have a look at this thread about it.

With ADW, it's a snap to add more desktops/home screens; as shown here in its settings, just use the + button at the top to add new desktops:

Screenshot_20191221-182036.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones