• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 10 - problem with fingerprint unlock

spgolder

Lurker
Feb 22, 2010
HI,
After I upgraded to Android 10 the fingerprint unlock feature stops working from time to time. The fix is too reboot the phone. The fingerprint still works on apps and if I go to fingerprint setup it detects my fingerprint. At the same time it doesn't even recognize my finger swiped when I try to unlock the phone. Thus it isn't the sensor. I deleted my fingerprints and re-saved them. No change. I don't see anything action that is causing this. Any ideas? Anyone else having this issue?

I've been using Android 10 for more than a month, and am currently on yesterday's release build. I've had no problems with the fingerprint scanner during that time (I'm also using a Pixel 2).

If by "it doesn't recognise my finger swiped when I try to unlock the phone" you mean it doesn't recognise that you are touching the sensor then, combined with not seeing problems when using it with other apps, it sounds like a glitch in the lock screen security app (not talking to the sensor). Though I don't see how that leads you to conclude it isn't the sensor (the fact that it works with other apps is a better argument there). I am asking what you mean about swiping though because swiping the sensor is a separate gesture, so the phrasing is ambiguous, and swiping the sensor does not work with the lockscreen (as far as I recall never has, but I can't say I've tried very often).

Upvote 0
Then no, not approblem I've had.

If an app is misbehaving then clearing it's cache is worth a go (and harmless), and clearing it's data is also worth considering. But I can't say precisely which app might be the issue here. Factory reset is always an option for problems after a major version update, but also a pain. And you've already tried the equivalent of toggling the settings (deleting and recreating fingerprints). So I'm not sure I can suggest anything very helpful.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones