• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

android 10 today?

oh i see right - dont have that ... is that in 2 button mode on nav bar then i guess?
Yes, they call that option "2 button".

Share screen is just Google proving again that UI design isn't a natural strength of theirs. The worst is Google Photos, where these days it just gives 2 lines and horizontal scrolling, which makes it much harder to find the option you want (I guess it's designed around what they want, namely you to share by sending Google links to people rather than sending the image to someone else using someone else's app, which gives them less information on what you are doing).

Upvote 0
Dunno - mine seems stable. I do however control it through a notification toggle provided by LeeDroid's ShortCutter app, rather than the system settings (it sometimes takes a couple of taps for the toggle to activate, but it provides slightly more options than the menu and is more convenient than looking down in the "advanced" section of the display settings) - I don't know whether that might make a difference.

Upvote 0
If somebody builds and Android 10 custom ROM for the ZTE z970 then you can use TWRP to install it.

There is no way whatsoever of making a Pixel system image run on your device.

Yeah I get ya. Jw is there anyone out there that wants to make one I work too much to have the time anymore to even start something like that I am willing to pay the person if they wana make one for me

Upvote 0
Yeah I get ya. Jw is there anyone out there that wants to make one I work too much to have the time anymore to even start something like that I am willing to pay the person if they wana make one for me
You might have better luck asking in the subforum for your device. Most people in the Pixel 2 forum are interested in Pixel 2s.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

What has to actually happen, a ROM dev has to get the source code to Android 10 AOSP, together with the manufacturer and device specific stuff, like kernel sources and drivers, and then build a custom ROM for your ZTE Z970 that can be flashed using TWRP, that's it.

Reactions: Juggalo19076
Upvote 0
hi :D ... was 9 busted?

....for me not being able to manage my app blocking is an issue ... im a twitcher ... especially on the play store oddly :/ :D

plus not being able to close running apps in the switcher is a pain

....my phone actually locked up briefly the other day - was on call and went to use chrome ...whole thing just hung for a few mins ....never seen that before

cheers

...also did a factory reset last night ... but then thought better of it :D

Upvote 0
I thought Focus Mode was able to take care of your app blocking needs. Did I miss something?

You shouldn't really need to manually close running apps, and doing so can actually interfere with how Android is designed to work. If you do need to kill an app for some reason, though, tap on its icon at the top of its card in the switcher, select App Info, and then Force Stop it.

I love doing a factory reset after a major OS upgrade. A fresh start can do wonders for little issues that develop during the upgrade.

Upvote 0
yes i did wonder about the factory reset ....what with the os udpate being done with apps loaded ..... reminds me of my old rom flashing days on the s3 ;)

thanks - yes the digital wellness app is pretty close ..... but ignores play store unfortunately .... but it is the only thing that works at the mo ..... maybe the FR will sort that :/

....ah ok - so i should close any apps? ... i know task killers are bad .... but i do like to close apps like camera or email (as can be seen in preview) .... plus i find if have tones of apps open ... then the switcher becomes less easy to use

cheers

Upvote 0
I never clear apps in the switcher. Do so if you want, it won't do a lot of harm, but apart from keeping that list shorter it's a fairly pointless functionality in my experience. But you can swipe away individual apps (just swipe them up, as in android 9), and I still have a "clear all" button at the left-hand end of the list.

For me the pro of 10 is the better permission control, especially wrt location access. And having a built-in black theme (I never liked the muddy grey "dark" that Google typically provided). I've not met any real cons: if you used to drag on the "pill" button to switch apps in android 9 you'll miss that, but I never used that myself so it makes no difference to me.

Upvote 0
ah ok thanks .... yes that is one of the things for me is that when using nova i no longer have the clear all text

....oddly just after switching back from dark to normal theme ... it did appear ... but only once :/ :D

i would try pixel launcher but dont like the big search field on home screen (as dont use it)

Upvote 0
I find the Pixel launcher unbearable in its lack of customisation. Just because I bought a Google phone that doesn't mean that I wanted Google to decide what I have on my desktop and where!

Mind you it's even worse for me: that search widget wouldn't even work, because I disabled the Google app (I don't want a search widget, I don't use Assistant, so that app serves no purpose for me).

Reactions: dan55
Upvote 0
I found Assistant didn't do anything I needed, bugged me with useless suggestions, and required far too intrusive access to my data for no real utility. So I turned it off, went right through my Google account settings turning off all sorts of access that activating it had enabled (but predictably turning it off had not reverted), then disabled the Google app so that I didn't get silly prompts to turn it on if I left my finger on the home button too long.

I gave it a fair test, decided it wasn't for me, and that's fine. At the point where Google make it impossible to use an android phone without it I'll either go Google-free AOSP or buy an iPhone. ;)

Reactions: dan55
Upvote 0
AOSP isn't an organisation. It stands for Android Open Source Program, and refers to the publicly available open source code of the android operating system. It's years since I looked at it so can't tell you where to find it, but a short web search will provide the answer.

Do not underestimate the work involved. If you are not already experienced in this type of work it will take a long time. And there is no guarantee that you'll be able to get Android 10 compatible drivers for your hardware, that ZTE will release kernel source code, etc. Getting the AOSP source will be the easy but.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones