• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 10 update broke all Google apps

Hi there - been a while since I've posted here in Android Forums, I guess it's a good thing I haven't had a major problem, hmm.

I installed the most recent Android update yesterday (12/1/20) on my Samsung A20. After it rebooted, it took hours to finish (a "Finishing System Updates" bar in my Notifications). After it finally did, none of my Google apps will load, they stay on an opening screen logo or a blank screen. All of my other apps work, except the ones that use Google to sign in (man, I'm missing my Pokemon Go fix!). I can't even do searches on it. Help?

I can clear cache in the Apps part of settings, but when I click "Manage Storage" (where most apps have Clear Data), I just get a blank screen again. And is there another place I can update it from when I can't open Play Store?
Ugh, that's a pain. :(
Also, where would I check for hung-up updating apps?
Open play, hit the pancake icon and choose my apps. It should default to the list of apps the need to be, or are, updating. If you see one just spinning, you can cancel the update. Worst case, go one by one cancelling the updates.

Upvote 0
If you mean Google Play, it doesn't open, along with all the other google apps.
Go into settings | apps and see if you can clear data and cache for play. May help.

Pancake - the 3 lines for menu? That's a new one on me. My son told me it was sandwich. And dango for the 3 dots. ;)
:p At least you knew what I was taling about.
I guess I can try resetting but was hoping to avoid that.
I'm trying to help you avoid that too, because that's a pain.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Go into settings | apps and see if you can clear data and cache for play. May help.
Yes, I'd already done that. A couple of times. Wiped the cache partition earlier too. No dice. Actually, Google Photos and Chrome work now, but still, nothing else.

:p At least you knew what I was talking about.
:D I'm old, but I try to keep current, or at least figure it out. Took me a bit, but I finally remembered we're referring to little stacks of dots and lines as pieces of food. ;)

the three lines is actually called a hamburger;)
Yes, I think I'd heard that too, just didn't remember it right away.:p

Thanks for the ideas.

Upvote 0
Ok, hope someone is still watching this thread - Samsung backup only seems to save settings. I've been unable to connect this phone to a pc via usb - turned on USB debugging which usually lets you see your phone as a drive, but apparently it needs different drivers because of the usb c connector. Tried updating the drivers, but still couldn't connect. Found out about Your Phone Companion app, which is supposed to connect phones & pcs but couldn't get those to sync up either.

Thought I would just save everything to my SD card but i have it formatted to run apps from. If I factory reset the phone, will that still work, or will I lose everything saved to it?

Thanks in advance.

(let me know if I should post someplace else)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You posting in a good place. Bummer about having the card formatted as adaptable storage. :(

Yeah, I really needed the space for apps. This is the most expensive phone I've ever bought, and still doesn't seem to have enough space, so I've saved everything I can to the card. Apps alwayscan be reloaded, but it's the other files that concern me. The card can also be unmounted, but I don't know if it will still work after a reset.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok, hope someone is still watching this thread - Samsung backup only seems to save settings. I've been unable to connect this phone to a pc via usb - turned on USB debugging which usually lets you see your phone as a drive, but apparently it needs different drivers because of the usb c connector. Tried updating the drivers, but still couldn't connect. Found out about Your Phone Companion app, which is supposed to connect phones & pcs but couldn't get those to sync up either.

Thought I would just save everything to my SD card but i have it formatted to run apps from. If I factory reset the phone, will that still work, or will I lose everything saved to it?

Thanks in advance.

(let me know if I should post someplace else)

I know if you factory reset, the key the SD was AES256 encrypted with will be deleted, and the data will be unreadable(digital white noise).

Unfortunately I can't help with PC(Windows) driver problems, as I use Macs here.

Upvote 0
key the SD was AES256 encrypted with will be deleted, and the data will be unreadable(digital white noise).

That's what I was afraid of.

Ok, new tack. I acquired one of these things. It says it's OTG and should work with Samsung phones to transfer files - specifically mentions Samsung on the packaging. Works with computer ok, but everything I've searched says I should be able to just plug it in to my phone and I should get a notification that a usb drive is attached, which you can then just use with My Files. Nothing happens - Phone doesn't seem to recognize it as a drive (doesn't work in my spouse's J7 either, or my Tab E - it DOES work in my son's Motorola E6). Does it need an actual thumb drive instead of a card reader? Or does something need to be toggled or installed first?

Maybe this, ferinstance?

*Sigh - thanks a bunch Android, I'd just fixed my broken screen...And the above looks to be a Samsung problem*

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones