• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 11 feature to be enabled in older phones

I tend to disagree, there's a distinction between 'security' and 'privacy'. Both are at times intertwined but they are not the same thing.
Google has a relatively good history as far as its overall security measures while its stance on privacy is scary.

I must disagree completely.

Privacy IS a part of security.

Not only that, but the sheer amount of shady, scammy, spammy, useless, fear mongering, and dangerous apps provided by the Google Play Store- which they emphatically boast as the ONLY safe place to get apps- is a perfect example of what security is NOT.

Ever notice how every full page pop up that says "Your device has been 28.4% infected with viruses and will be locked within 2 days" has a link that takes you directly to one of thousands of BS anti-virus apps on Google Play Store?

Upvote 0
I must disagree completely.

Privacy IS a part of security.

Not only that, but the sheer amount of shady, scammy, spammy, useless, fear mongering, and dangerous apps provided by the Google Play Store- which they emphatically boast as the ONLY safe place to get apps- is a perfect example of what security is NOT.

Ever notice how every full page pop up that says "Your device has been 28.4% infected with viruses and will be locked within 2 days" has a link that takes you directly to one of thousands of BS anti-virus apps on Google Play Store?

Errr No, I've never had that kind of message on any of my devices(Samsung/HTC/Moto/Huawei/Various Chinese phones - Cubot/Doogee and others)
The full page pop-up ads will be as a result of something you installed (or was installed BY something you installed). BTW I tend to use F-Droid in preference to the play store as all their apps are FOSS..

Upvote 0
Errr No, I've never had that kind of message on any of my devices(Samsung/HTC/Moto/Huawei/Various Chinese phones - Cubot/Doogee and others)
The full page pop-up ads will be as a result of something you installed (or was installed BY something you installed). BTW I tend to use F-Droid in preference to the play store as all their apps are FOSS..

No, not pop-ups from any apps-
these are full page browser hijackers that are difficult to even back out of without a good browser.

And by good, I mean anything not associated with Google.

And by you getting apps from F-Droid instead (as I do as well) you demonstrate that privacy is security.

Security in your private matters is privacy by definition.

Therefore, privacy is a part of security.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones