• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 2.1 confirmed for the tattoo (ish)

The other day I went into Carphone Warehouse (in the UK) with my HTC Tattoo about a problem with the SD card, he was unable to fix the problem, but he mentioned that I should wait for the 2.1 upgrade, which was coming to all of the HTC phones next month.

This was the first I heard of this, I read about a 2.1 upgrade, but no information on when, so I wont hold my breath for the 2.1 upgrade.

I hope I am wrong, but I think the guy at CPW was probably talking carp. The title of this topic should be changed to "Android 2.1 will never be confirmed for the Tattoo".

Upvote 0
the thing is im not even bothered about 2.1 - ive been playing with a tmobile pulse mini with 2.1 and the battery was rubbish. It had generic 2.1 on there and I missed having some of the HTC apps/widgets.

The only thing I want is the ability to file transfer over bluetooth - the rest of the operating system is almost identical.

Maybe I should start a new thread with

Update us to android 2.1 (just for bluetooth) (ish)

Upvote 0
the thing is im not even bothered about 2.1 - ive been playing with a tmobile pulse mini with 2.1 and the battery was rubbish. It had generic 2.1 on there and I missed having some of the HTC apps/widgets.

The only thing I want is the ability to file transfer over bluetooth - the rest of the operating system is almost identical.

Maybe I should start a new thread with

Update us to android 2.1 (just for bluetooth) (ish)

I totally aggree! Bluetooth is the only reason I have rooted.

Upvote 0
The other day I went into Carphone Warehouse (in the UK) with my HTC Tattoo about a problem with the SD card, he was unable to fix the problem, but he mentioned that I should wait for the 2.1 upgrade, which was coming to all of the HTC phones next month.

This was the first I heard of this, I read about a 2.1 upgrade, but no information on when, so I wont hold my breath for the 2.1 upgrade.

Hi mate,

I work for a UK phone company in retail (no, not saying ;)) and CPW are either permanently behind the times, or completely making stuff up. How 2.1 would fix your SD card issue is beyond me, either the reader in the device or the card is faulty, or you've managed to wipe it lol, so you're not going to be saved by a magical software upgrade.

In the meantime, all you guys who are getting so upset about not getting 2.1 - seriously, chill out! So we all bought a phone and got burned? I don't think so. You buy a phone with the software it has, not the software you think it might have. Resistive screens can't handle multi-touch interfaces as far as I'm aware, so that's one of a number of perfectly acceptable reasons why we won't upgrade to 2.1.

I bought my phone last November. Hell, my local shop for my network even told me to take the Magic over the Tattoo, but I liked the look better and went for the black phone. I don't regret this; I made my bed and I'll damn well lie in it.

Why are you all so upset that you'll never get 2.1? Okay, the chap who bought the phone last month, that's fair enough that you've effectively taken out a discontinued phone. But I've had plenty of good times with my phone over the last 9 months, it can still do stuff plenty of other phones can't, and I'd take Android 1.6 over iOS whatever and WinMo pants any day.

Saying you'll never trust HTC again is just childish. The Tattoo was the last of the original Google phones, the Hero was the start of the next generation. Yeah we missed the boat a little, I could have waited for a Hero if I'd been a little more patient, but I can live with my Tattoo until I upgrade.

Upvote 0
Hi mate,

I work for a UK phone company in retail (no, not saying ;)) and CPW are either permanently behind the times, or completely making stuff up. How 2.1 would fix your SD card issue is beyond me, either the reader in the device or the card is faulty, or you've managed to wipe it lol, so you're not going to be saved by a magical software upgrade.

In the meantime, all you guys who are getting so upset about not getting 2.1 - seriously, chill out! So we all bought a phone and got burned? I don't think so. You buy a phone with the software it has, not the software you think it might have. Resistive screens can't handle multi-touch interfaces as far as I'm aware, so that's one of a number of perfectly acceptable reasons why we won't upgrade to 2.1.

I bought my phone last November. Hell, my local shop for my network even told me to take the Magic over the Tattoo, but I liked the look better and went for the black phone. I don't regret this; I made my bed and I'll damn well lie in it.

Why are you all so upset that you'll never get 2.1? Okay, the chap who bought the phone last month, that's fair enough that you've effectively taken out a discontinued phone. But I've had plenty of good times with my phone over the last 9 months, it can still do stuff plenty of other phones can't, and I'd take Android 1.6 over iOS whatever and WinMo pants any day.

Saying you'll never trust HTC again is just childish. The Tattoo was the last of the original Google phones, the Hero was the start of the next generation. Yeah we missed the boat a little, I could have waited for a Hero if I'd been a little more patient, but I can live with my Tattoo until I upgrade.

Mate,

I'm not sure whether you're a troll, or someone who doesn't like reading.

The post you quoted said he had a problem with his SD card, he did not expect 2.1 to fix it. The mention of 2.1 was a besides.

Admitedly, many people do just want the latest software and know nothing about it. They just WANT IT ;-) But, there are also a lot of people who have quite valid reasons to be annoyed. The problem people have, is that they would like 2.1 for improved Bluetooth and that more apps will gradually require 2.1 to operate.

HTC stated last December that they were going to upgrade the Tattoo and Hero - which were the same generation of phones - the Tattoo was not the last of the 'With Google phones' - The Hero was launched several months before the Tattoo. It got upgraded, but then it was stuck on 1.5, and that was bad. And, Nexus One anyone?

Many retailers also stated that it would be updateable. (and no I'm not talking about CPW).

I think most people are happy with their Tattoo's and 1.6, but are unhappy with the poor customer support from HTC. For example, before I bought my Tattoo, I asked HTC directly if they would be developing 2.1 for the Tatoo. At the time they confirmed they were and it would be available soon. This is the real issue. Customer support have been too contrary, and HTC marketing have been poor in communicating their policies. People did not buy a phone with one set of software, they were sold a phone that was updateable.

And, afaik, 2.1 is not reliant on multi-touch. I'm sure I've seen a few phones such as the Pulse Mini which have resistive screens and 2.1. The lack of a GPU might be a bigger issue.

Anyway, I highly doubt we'll see 2.1 but I'm relatively happy with my Tattoo. I know all the problems with software development and how the market has developed over the last year, but unless HTC change their attitude to customers I doubt I will buy another HTC handset.

Upvote 0
Hullo, cheers for that, and no I'm not a troll.

1) The post I was replying to sounde - to me, at least - as if the CPW chap was fobbing him off with the line "he was unable to fix the problem, but he mentioned that I should wait for the 2.1 upgrade", hence my opening statement. The owner didn't expect 2.1 to fix it, it sounded like the guy in CPW did.

2) I'm not trying to say it was a distinct branding label, I just mean from my own notes from playing with quite a few different Androids it seems like the Tattoo is the last of a series of adaptations to the formula, and one which isn't being carried forwards. This is fair enough.

3) I understand that a lot of people have had direct responses from HTC in the past - such as yourself - and that is genuinely annoying. I was more referring to the posts which seem to be throwing the toys out of the pram and expecting more from HTC than any other manufacturer would have given, WinMo and iOS included. I'm firmly of the belief that products are sold as seen, and except in cases like yours where you've specifically been told something before purchase which later is revoked, the product you buy is the product you live with.

I hope that makes it a little more clear. I wasn't grinding my axe with anyone in particular, and I wasn't trolling. All the best.

Upvote 0
Hullo, cheers for that, and no I'm not a troll.

1) The post I was replying to sounde - to me, at least - as if the CPW chap was fobbing him off with the line "he was unable to fix the problem, but he mentioned that I should wait for the 2.1 upgrade", hence my opening statement. The owner didn't expect 2.1 to fix it, it sounded like the guy in CPW did.

2) I'm not trying to say it was a distinct branding label, I just mean from my own notes from playing with quite a few different Androids it seems like the Tattoo is the last of a series of adaptations to the formula, and one which isn't being carried forwards. This is fair enough.

3) I understand that a lot of people have had direct responses from HTC in the past - such as yourself - and that is genuinely annoying. I was more referring to the posts which seem to be throwing the toys out of the pram and expecting more from HTC than any other manufacturer would have given, WinMo and iOS included. I'm firmly of the belief that products are sold as seen, and except in cases like yours where you've specifically been told something before purchase which later is revoked, the product you buy is the product you live with.

I hope that makes it a little more clear. I wasn't grinding my axe with anyone in particular, and I wasn't trolling. All the best.

Hi there,

All your britishy nonsensical english aside, I couldn't disagree more. For a couple of reasons...

First, you said in your previous post that a "magical" software won't fix an sd card issue. That is very incorrect. I've worked with a lot of embedded systems and know for a fact that software such as kernel drivers can be updated to help the reader support different brands of sd card. Not all SD cards are equal. Some are not completely 100% compatible with all readers and yes, a software patch can sometimes fix that.

Second, what you said about products being sold as seen is hogwash. If this were a hat, or a chair, or some kind of static item maybe. But phones and electronics like this are ever changing software wise. having newer software on them allows them to run the latest applications and staying at an ancient version of the software prevents that. Also, hardly ever is there a device like this made that doesn't have bugs in it from the beginning and those bugs are usually discovered after the products have been released. What I expect is HTC and companies like them to support their products and fix issues and if that means upgrading, so be it. It isn't like this hardware is 100% incompatible with Android 2.1. If that were the case, I wouldn't complain, but I would expect serious fixes to 1.6.

So for someone who works at a phone company, you really have a lot to learn. I'm not trying to b*tch you out over this, but I strongly disagree with your view. These people here have a right to have a fully supported phone with patches and fixes. It's too expensive of a device to be left hanging.

Bill

Upvote 0
Spent an hour on the phone to orange last night trying to get a new phone out of them as I just finally got sick of the phone not having all the features of my friends nexus...anyway, their verdict (uk based) that htc are releasing 2.1 by the end of sept for the tattoo. I told them that I was expecting to hear that as that seems to be what everyone is getting fobbed off with...

Anyway, I thought I would give HTC a ring, and they also confirmed that there will be an update released by the end of september, to 2.2 (froyo). So I am hoping that I have not been lied to, but it does sound promising.

As for orange customers, I asked the HTC guy why they have been taking gmail and youtube apps off the phone, and he said it is because youtube eats all their bandwidth, so they have made it so you have to go through browser etc, which seems like a logical thing to do from a business side of things, and he thinks most other companies will follow suite, it is just sucky for us tattoo users!

I shall report back on the 1st of oct with either a happy post or a very unhappy post.

Upvote 0
I am sad to say I gave up hoping.
I now have a Samsung Galaxy S and have never looked back.

I wouldn't have changed phone if I had of known an update was forthcoming but I still sincerely doubt it ever will.

There is a September update but I am guessing it will be for 2.1 android phone users only. I hope I am wrong as I would still like my Tattoo to be all it can be.

Upvote 0
Why wait, you can have one of the nice rooted/cooked roms 2.2 works PERFECTLY bluetooth file transfers, all except camera which is lausy anyway on tattoo. you need somw knowledge, but with patience and some carefull reading of posts you can make it. I did it!!! my TATTOO runs SP-Froyo and even live wallpapers are working(at first I could not beleive my eyes when when I saw colorful tropical fish swimming BEHIND icons on my sweet little TATTOO, and yes also VOICE INPUT, I dont type my mail or msgs anymore, just speak them and voila! like in SF movie..and all that on "poor specs" tattoo.....
cheers

Upvote 0
Why wait, you can have one of the nice rooted/cooked roms 2.2 works PERFECTLY bluetooth file transfers, all except camera which is lausy anyway on tattoo. you need somw knowledge, but with patience and some carefull reading of posts you can make it. I did it!!! my TATTOO runs SP-Froyo and even live wallpapers are working(at first I could not beleive my eyes when when I saw colorful tropical fish swimming BEHIND icons on my sweet little TATTOO, and yes also VOICE INPUT, I dont type my mail or msgs anymore, just speak them and voila! like in SF movie..and all that on "poor specs" tattoo.....
cheers
hi
or u can go to the XDA tattoo forum and u have a few cooked 2.1 or 2.2 ready to use chek it out:D

Upvote 0
This is the email i got a couple of days ago!!

Thank you for your email regarding your HTC Tattoo Ink handset.

I am sorry to learn that you are unaware of our process regarding firmware updates for Orange phones. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this has caused.

I would like to advise that Orange customers are not able to obtain firmware updates direct from HTC themselves, this is due to the Orange branding that you have on your phone that allows you to use this on our network.

Please find below a link to our website where you are able to check in the future if an update via Orange has been released.

http://www2.orange.co.uk/servlet/Sa...96364420640&product=Feature&t=Product&tabid=1

Be aware that your handset may not be available on the listings until if or when an update is released.

I have also supplied below the required steps that you will need to take in order to organise an update to your phone. Be advised to follow the on-screen instructions as it will give you necessary and required information regarding your phone.

"your phone's features" > "download software updates" > "how do I download the latest software update" > "HTC Desire ROM update"

When a new update is made available by a handset manufacturer they will pass a version of this to Orange so that we can run the required tests to confirm that this update they have released will co-exist with the Orange branding that you are required to use on your phone.

It is possible that the new update that is released may not co-exist with the Orange branding and thus we will not be able to release the update for the HTC Desire, if they can not co-exist and we were to release this to your phone, this could effectively be detrimental to your handset and Orange will not process for this reason.

If the update version can not co-exist with the Orange branding then we will wait for HTC to release a new update to which we will restart the testing process accordingly.

It is not possible to advise of any estimated timescale for the testing of this update by Orange, furthermore, we can not guarantee that an update will be released at all regarding the HTC Desire as the updates that could be released may never work alongside the Orange branding on the phone.

Because some of this information is speculative and based on situations regarding the testing of updates that may or may not ever be released by HTC and the time it takes to complete the testing of the new updates, please accept my sincere apologies that we can not be more specific regarding your query.

As with the current Android update it has been released via an Over-The-Air format, this may be the situation for the the next available update, but this method we will not be able to confirm until the update is valid for Orange UK handset users when it has been released.

I trust this information clarifies your query.

Kind regards

Vici
Orange Online Services

Funny that I asked about the tattoo and they give me some crap about the desire.
HTC done something simillar but instead of the tattoo it was about wildfire
twats!!

Upvote 0
What amazing language!!

It reminds me of Pinocchio trying not to lie to Prince Charming in Shrek 3 ...

Prince Charming: You! You can't lie! So tell me puppet... where... is... Shrek?
Pinocchio: Uh. Hmm, well, uh, I don't know where he's not
Prince Charming: You're telling me you don't know where Shrek is?
Pinocchio: It wouldn't be inaccurate to assume that I couldn't exactly not say that it is or isn't almost partially incorrect.
Prince Charming: So you do know where he is!
Pinocchio: On the contrary. I'm possibly more or less not definitely rejecting the idea that in no way with any amount of uncertainty that I undeniably
Prince Charming: Stop it!
Pinocchio: ...do or do not know where he shouldn't probably be, if that indeed wasn't where he isn't. Even if he wasn't at where I knew he was
[Pigs and Gingerbread Man begin singing]
Pinocchio: That'd mean I'd really have to know where he wasn't.

Upvote 0
Let's just rewrite that a little....;-)

HTC Tattoo owning customer: You! You can't lie! So tell me... where... is... the Android 2.x update?
Customer service rep: Uh. Hmm, well, uh, I don't know where it's not
HTC Tattoo owning customer: You're telling me you don't know where the update is?
Customer service rep: It wouldn't be inaccurate to assume that I couldn't exactly not say that it is or isn't almost partially incorrect.
HTC Tattoo owning customer: So you do know where it is!
Customer service rep: On the contrary. I'm possibly more or less not definitely rejecting the idea that in no way with any amount of uncertainty that I undeniably
HTC Tattoo owning customer: Stop it!
Customer service rep: ...do or do not know where the update shouldn't probably be, if that indeed wasn't where it isn't. Even if the update wasn't at where I knew it was
[HTC Hero and Desire owners start singing]
Customer service rep: That'd mean I'd really have to know where the update development wasn't.

Upvote 0
I am sad to say I gave up hoping.
I now have a Samsung Galaxy S and have never looked back.

I wouldn't have changed phone if I had of known an update was forthcoming but I still sincerely doubt it ever will.

There is a September update but I am guessing it will be for 2.1 android phone users only. I hope I am wrong as I would still like my Tattoo to be all it can be.

I also gave up a month ago and got a LG optimus GT540 - its got 1.6 on there but screen is bigger - screen res is better - bigger and better battery - it has built in bluetooth file transfer (courtesy of LG) and an upgrade to 2.1 is due any week now.

You can choose between the vanilla android ui or the lg ui (which has 7 homescreens just like htc)

Best of all it only cost

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones