• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 2.1 HERO News

I'd read somewhere that for possibly the first time ever, that T-Mobile haven't changed the firmware for the G2-Touch (still get a t-mobile splash screen and the usual web n' walk shortcuts, I'm thinking that HTC coded that for them)

So perhaps the HTC release of 2.0 or 2.0.1 or whatever its called will work on a t-mobile branded device

I am only 18hrs into my first android phone but absolutely loving it :)

Mine's the g2-touch, but much prefer the HERO name ;-)

Upvote 0
I dont have the sprint but there so much roms for example the eclair 2.1 what confuses my mind is will the android 2.0 be better than all of the roms whats available now or just a better one or maybe the best thats compatible with my htc heto

1.5, 1.6, 2.0, 2.0.1, and 2.1 aren't exactly different ROMs. They're updated versions of the Android OS. Obviously the most recent version available for your device will be the best. The problem is though, that the latest version available for the Hero is the ancient version 1.5. That's why we're all waiting anxiously for this 2.1 update.

Upvote 0
Is it wrong of me to bump this thread just to excite people with the possibilty of news....

cat-curse-you-villain.jpg

:D

Upvote 0

Don't get me wrong...like my Hero so far and think Android is pretty good.

But a lot the new features shown in the Android 2.0 video that let one do anything involving a contact by touching the contact's photo in any app (e.g. mail them, text them, call them, etc.) are things that Palm's WebOS already offers on the Pre and Pixi. Palm is really correct when they talk about their "Synergy" and how everything on their phone is much more integrated...a little better than Android, in my opinion. And both Android and WebOS have the iPhone beat at this point.

Per another post I made, if it weren't for the slightly substandard physical build quality of the Pre, I'd have stayed with it....LOVE WebOS. Hoping Android 2.0 gets the Hero closer to the Pre in terms of smooth functionality. Probably won't do much for multitasking, though. Another area where WebOS shines...

- Astro

Upvote 0
I've been contemplating rooting my Sprint Hero so I can make more room for my stuff by removing unwanted stock applications. If I do nothing more than root my phone (i.e. I do NOT install a custom ROM) will I be able to accept the Android 2.1 update when it comes down the pipe, or will I have to 'unroot' my phone first?

sleepy

Rooting will have no affect on whether or not you'll be able to install an official 2.1 update. If you install an official 2.1 build, it'll unroot your phone.

I'd be willing to bet that there will be Custom 2.1 ROMs for the Sprint Hero before Sprint releases it, in which case, you would need to root your phone to install that. But make sure its for the CDMA Hero, installing a GSM ROM on the Sprint Hero will probably brick your phone.

Upvote 0
Just had this emailed from HTC .....

Thank you for your email. We understand that now that a phone running Android OS 2.1 is available that you are excited to get an update for your Hero. We are still hard at work building Sense for this new version but we expect to have the upgrade finished and ready to go soon. Please understand that it takes time to customize any Android version to ensure you have the intuitive experience Sense provides, and we hope you can be patient for just a little while longer.

Kind Regards,

Anthony M
HTC

... i just hope soon really does mean soon :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones