• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 2.1 / Moto Droid

This is a good point as well. I just feel that if some modders can fool around with an image of 2.1 form the N1 and make it work on the droid so fast then I would hope that the people who do this for a living can do the same. I dunno maybe i'm talking outta my a$$

Unfortunately, it's not the developers/programmers themselves that are the holdup. It's all the quality-assurance and corporate politics and stuff like that that holds it up.

Upvote 0
I think the update will come soon and Jan. 22 can fall in line with that update. Although we have not known about 2.1 until the Nexus 1 waqs released, there were leaked photos of this same phone before the published date of the Verzon Android updates. I say this to make the point that VZw and Motorola could have know about the Nexus 1 and the release of 2.1 back in December and therefore they could have been preparing to work on an update. I do not believe that the release of 2.1 took them by surprise that is why some of the 2.1 Rom was worked on before the release of the Nexus 1 and that may be why Motorola present at the release of the Nexus 1.

I am just speculating and I have no proof, but I can hope that it will come soon.

Upvote 0
Speculation is cheap, fun entertainment. :) My two cents:

- Speculation: Verizon needs 2.1 on the Droid to stay competitive...sounds good for us (forum rats) but for the masses it's not a big deal. Majority of customers have no idea that there are different versions of Android, much less what version the Droid has vs. N1. Everyone one I know who went shopping for the Eris vs. the Droid when they were released who wasn't hanging in forums like us had no clue about Android OS versions, Sense UI, etc. It just doesn't register w/your standard consumer... If any of them do ask about it, VZW employee just says "Don't worry, the 2.1 update will be delivered automatically to your phone shortly after you buy it." So this sounds good but fails, IMHO.

- Speculation: Verizon set a date (internal document) for an update on Jan 22, so the 2.1 release must be it. Seems reasonable, but given standard dev/test cycles it seems as possible that Jan 22 = 2.02 rather than 2.1. VZW wouldn't have had firm release dates for 2.1 when they set their 1/22 date. Moto didn't get 2.1 until the public release, assuming the statement of their CEO is accurate, and turning around an update in two weeks seems too aggressive for both Verizon and Moto. Some chance Moto/VZW have been planning to fold a 2.02 maintenance release into 2.1 if it came available, but SW dev teams don't usually like to do stuff like that.

So I'm thinking 2.02 or similar interim update in Jan, 2.1 maybe in Feb. Hopefully for all you optimists I'm wildly wrong. :D

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, it's not the developers/programmers themselves that are the holdup. It's all the quality-assurance and corporate politics and stuff like that that holds it up.

DING DING DING!!! "We have a winner!"

Seriously, folks, even being a n00b to smartphones, I can't count the number of times I have been cruising by forums like Howard, XDA (got my first WinMo 6.0 for my iPaq 2490s from there - first time I had ever 'hacked' a PDA) and other places about folks hosing their phones after an update - even non hacked / rooted updates.

They have to extensively test the OS to make sure that it actually performs the way it is supposed to, such as basic integrated features, stability, etc.

Just because the hackers got the modded ROMs out doesn't mean it is 100% stable. Last time I was here, about a week ago, there was a strong warning about how the currently released 2.1 for DROID did not support corporate email (Sorry, haven't made it back to the thread to see the latest and greatest yet, so I *am* a bit behind the times).

One thing I can guarantee won't happen - they are not going to release it any sooner no matter how much we whine, cry, or rant.

It'll be when it is.

That being said, I have a lot more questions about unofficial ROMs and whatnot, but that is not for this thread. The 2.0.1 update was just barely over a month after the phone was released to the retail world, and if Jan 22 is the new ETA for 2.1, that is putting it right on schedule compared to the last release. Considering how much this new ROM changes things (and when you consider the Flash addition) this is a major change - I will be hugely surprised and thoroughly thankful that they got it out that fast.

Plus, since this is not crippled by VZW like 99.44% of their other phones, I am doubly glad I got the DROID. Again.

All hail, the DROID. Now, quitchyerbitchin and just wait, already.

:D

Upvote 0
DING DING DING!!! "We have a winner!"

Seriously, folks, even being a n00b to smartphones, I can't count the number of times I have been cruising by forums like Howard, XDA (got my first WinMo 6.0 for my iPaq 2490s from there - first time I had ever 'hacked' a PDA) and other places about folks hosing their phones after an update - even non hacked / rooted updates.

They have to extensively test the OS to make sure that it actually performs the way it is supposed to, such as basic integrated features, stability, etc.

Just because the hackers got the modded ROMs out doesn't mean it is 100% stable. Last time I was here, about a week ago, there was a strong warning about how the currently released 2.1 for DROID did not support corporate email (Sorry, haven't made it back to the thread to see the latest and greatest yet, so I *am* a bit behind the times).

One thing I can guarantee won't happen - they are not going to release it any sooner no matter how much we whine, cry, or rant.

It'll be when it is.

That being said, I have a lot more questions about unofficial ROMs and whatnot, but that is not for this thread. The 2.0.1 update was just barely over a month after the phone was released to the retail world, and if Jan 22 is the new ETA for 2.1, that is putting it right on schedule compared to the last release. Considering how much this new ROM changes things (and when you consider the Flash addition) this is a major change - I will be hugely surprised and thoroughly thankful that they got it out that fast.

Plus, since this is not crippled by VZW like 99.44% of their other phones, I am doubly glad I got the DROID. Again.

All hail, the DROID. Now, quitchyerbitchin and just wait, already.

:D

They can do what they want thats the point of the forum, to talk about Android, and thats what there doing....

Upvote 0
At all droidforums, someone said the SENIOR IT TECH at verizon said the update will be pushed on the 17th of Jan., if not earlier. The person who reported this from the Senior IT Tech, is 99.99% sure it is happening that day.....So look for around the 17th maybe a day or 2 sooner! :D

Exact Quote from POSTER NOT Tech person! "Verizon will begin pushing 2.1 upgrade to Moto Droid phones on 1/17/10 if not sooner. That's exclusive information from a Senior IT Tech. I'm certain my info is 99.99% accurate just wait and see!"

Don't know how reliable but hey, it's a date right?!?!

Upvote 0
This is great. People keep biding their time waiting for the next best thing to come out. I've had the best thing since the Droid dropped. And just when something "better" comes out, we get the one thing that really makes it great, too. Soon, we'll have 2.1 and Flash. All this within 3 months (well, hopefully). I may have had to extend my contract for 2 years, but they're gonna be the best 2 years of my cellular life. Droid does!

Upvote 0
At all droidforums, someone said the SENIOR IT TECH at verizon said the update will be pushed on the 17th of Jan., if not earlier. The person who reported this from the Senior IT Tech, is 99.99% sure it is happening that day.....So look for around the 17th maybe a day or 2 sooner! :D

Exact Quote from POSTER NOT Tech person! "Verizon will begin pushing 2.1 upgrade to Moto Droid phones on 1/17/10 if not sooner. That's exclusive information from a Senior IT Tech. I'm certain my info is 99.99% accurate just wait and see!"

Don't know how reliable but hey, it's a date right?!?!

I can't tell you how many posts I've read over the last 20+ years that have made claims that so and so from X mobile carrier said this and so and so said that. I've seen posts that have said my sister's boyfriend's niece's neighbor knows this guy who knows this girl whose father works at McDonald's that heard from some X mobile carrier employee who works at the store down the street that he read on some site that some X mobile carrier IT guy said that so and so would be released on this date.

Verizon employees who don't hang out on these forums know the least

Upvote 0
Verizon employees who don't hang out on these forums know the least

I second that. When I went to VZW the day after Christmas, to activate my droid, I had to explain to a man what the differences of the droid and the eris were. (And why to buy the droid) I did this because the VZ Salesman said they were "practically the same, but one has a keyboard."

:mad:

Upvote 0
I second that. When I went to VZW the day after Christmas, to activate my droid, I had to explain to a man what the differences of the droid and the eris were. (And why to buy the droid) I did this because the VZ Salesman said they were "practically the same, but one has a keyboard."

:mad:

LOL. I wonder if you went to my friend's store. hahaha. He works for VZW and I know waaaaaaaaaay more about his products and plans than he does.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones