• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Android 2.1 OTA trying to install ADB driver

I picked the correct driver location, but it says windows was unable to find a driver for your device.

Many users have reported issues with getting their USB drivers installed and their phone communicating with their computers.

You did install the USB drivers with and SDK, right (I think you said you did)... Double-check this. Then go into your Device Manager and do "update driver" on the device with the yellow exclamation point, being sure to browse to the usb_driver directory in the SDK.

You can also try installing HTC Sync. I suspect that it goes through the USB setup a little better than the SDK does. If you want to try that, here is the download link:

http://member.america.htc.com/download/Driver/DROID_ERIS_Verizon/HTC_Sync_2.0.33.exe

Its a 39MB download. I have not installed this myself ('cause I didn't want to use sync), but you could do the install (and not use it) and see if this helps.

Good luck and sorry nobody got back to you sooner. Be sure to let us all know what does fix the issue so we can record it for others. Thanks.

Upvote 0
I've heard of reports that users needed to install HTC sync as mentioned above..
What worked for myself...
running windows 7 64 bit.
when i first plugged phone in, the computer auto. installed files.
I couldn't find the yellow exclamation point.. actually i dont think I saw the phone at all.
turned out it auto installed them for me, and I just went ahad into a CMD outta androidSDK/tools and ran adb shell and got the correct root sign so I was good to go.

Upvote 0
yes, I downloaded the USB drivers and went to that location but no luck. Also, I already had htc sync installed, but I think It was from when my phone was 1.5. I opened HTC SYNC and plugged my phone in, but it says the phone is disconnected.. Weird. Any help would be appreciated, I really want to root but cant get over this obstacle.

Upvote 0
yes, I downloaded the USB drivers and went to that location but no luck. Also, I already had htc sync installed, but I think It was from when my phone was 1.5. I opened HTC SYNC and plugged my phone in, but it says the phone is disconnected.. Weird. Any help would be appreciated, I really want to root but cant get over this obstacle.

Okay, tell us where (what file path) you've installed the Android SDK.

Then let us know what exactly you are trying to do the update drivers function on (the "Android Phone" and "Android ADB Interface" or something else in the Device Manager?).

And where are you telling the Device Manager to look for your USB drivers?

We need a little bit more information. Thanks.

Upvote 0
K. Andorid sdk folder is on desktop. I selected all the driver packages and installed them all. The USB_driver folder appears, indicating that I have correctly installed the USB driver package. I right click on my computer, plug my phone in, and click device manager. I see a yellow exclamation point on unknown device, ADB. Click update driver, find manually. Navigate to the folder on the desktop. Click on the USB_DRiver Folder. Try, to update and it says no. So I go one step further in the folder and click on i386, and nothing happens. Try amd64, nothing happens. Same "windows is unable to find a driver for this device. I just uninstalled HTC sync, and I'm goign to reinstall it to see if that has any effect. Should I delete all the drivers for my phone and start from square one?

Upvote 0
K. Andorid sdk folder is on desktop. I selected all the driver packages and installed them all. The USB_driver folder appears, indicating that I have correctly installed the USB driver package. I right click on my computer, plug my phone in, and click device manager. I see a yellow exclamation point on unknown device, ADB. Click update driver, find manually. Navigate to the folder on the desktop. Click on the USB_DRiver Folder. Try, to update and it says no. So I go one step further in the folder and click on i386, and nothing happens. Try amd64, nothing happens. Same "windows is unable to find a driver for this device. I just uninstalled HTC sync, and I'm goign to reinstall it to see if that has any effect. Should I delete all the drivers for my phone and start from square one?

Okay, thanks for the additional info. You don't have to delete, you should be able to re-install the USB drivers (try pointing to the "usb_driver" directory itself and not one of the subdirectories to see if that helps). Also, obviously, make sure the cable is connected and that you have USB debugging mode set (Settings > Applications > Development > check USB Debugging) and that you are set in "Charge Only" mode when connecting the cable to the phone (i.e., from the pull-down notification).

Re-installing HTC sync might help (as well as rebooting--hey, can't hurt...:p).

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Okay, thanks for the additional info. You don't have to delete, you should be able to re-install the USB drivers (try pointing to the "usb_driver" directory itself and not one of the subdirectories to see if that helps). Also, obviously, make sure the cable is connected and that you have USB debugging mode set (Settings > Applications > Development > check USB Debugging) and that you are set in "Charge Only" mode when connecting the cable to the phone (i.e., from the pull-down notification).

Re-installing HTC sync might help (as well as rebooting--hey, can't hurt...:p).

Thanks.

I too have done all of the above and i am unable to install driver, running vista x64 on toshiba a205, i have been at it all day today (6 hours) browsing and downloading everything under the sun. what is the difference between win 7 and vista from a developers point of view? previous posts state that win 7 loaded automatically and vista won't. where can i find the win 7 x64 driver?

Upvote 0
I too have done all of the above and i am unable to install driver, running vista x64 on toshiba a205, i have been at it all day today (6 hours) browsing and downloading everything under the sun. what is the difference between win 7 and vista from a developers point of view? previous posts state that win 7 loaded automatically and vista won't. where can i find the win 7 x64 driver?

1madhatter,

Take a look at the "USB CONNECTIVITY PROBLEMS" and "VERIFY ANDROID SDK CAN COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR DEVICE" sections in this thread:

http://androidforums.com/all-things...oot-troubleshooting-guide-htc-droid-eris.html

Its got everything I can think of regarding USB connectivity problems-solving. Seems like a lot of the times, its a simple missed setting (USB Debugging not set, Charge-Only mode not set, etc.). Double-check the simple things. Also, one recent poster simply had to reboot after installing the drivers.

Don't you just love Windows? :eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones