1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Android 2.1 update erased all my contacts and texts

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by NoctisXIII, May 31, 2011.

1. NoctisXIII

NoctisXIII Lurker
    None

May 31, 2011
    I just today updated my LG-GT540 to android 2.1 and I've lost all my contacts :(

Even though I used google sync my contacts were under phone and not googlemail so I think that's why google sync didn't save them? Though the contacts thing is not so bad since I don't have a huge number of contacts (e.g. 100) Though all my text messages I've ever sent have been completely erased too after the update.

However data like photos, videos, music etc. that I had before the update are intact and still there. So I'm wondering why my text messages were erased and if there's anyway I could get them back?

Not exactly a pro when it comes to phones either, so go easy on me please...

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome to the Android Forums.

Gmail will not sync contacts stored only on the phone or sim, they have to be gmail contacts to sync.

What version of Android did you upgrade from and what program did you use to send text messages? There have been issues with other phones losing all texts following a major upgrade (usually from 2.1 to 2.2 were the threads i've found). The reason your photos, music and docs are safe is because they are stored as individual files where text (SMS) messages are stored in a database. I'd have to assume that whoever provided the update overwrote the old database file with a new one. If that's the case, I don't know of a way to retrieve the old messages.

Sorry to hear about your problems.

3. NoctisXIII

NoctisXIII Lurker
    None

May 31, 2011
    I updated from android 1.6 (the android the LG GT-540 comes with) to android 2.1 using the LG mobile phone support. (link here: Mobile Phone Support) I also used the default android text tool, the one with the green caption with a smiley face.

4. simon194

simon194 Member
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    The upgrade will delete all your contacts. As it says on the website if you click on the Detailed Guide tab:

"Backup all important data to the PC using PC Sync before upgrading your firmware"

5. NoctisXIII

NoctisXIII Lurker
    None

May 31, 2011
    I figured that part out but what about the texts? Backing up contacts is annoying but they can be added on again. I'm guessing the texts are erased then, but why? This doesn't seem to happen to everyone who updates.