• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android 2.1 Update

"Is the above method a legitimate way to update my phone?"

well the Software used up there is the update for the balkan/rusians using the GT540 so thats pretty much legit, i did it last night and fllowed the above by evrey word and it worked pretty much fine on my girlfriends win7 laptop.

The updater tool is in russian but if you follow the tutorial you should be fine. i know alot of people on here and over on modaco are holding out for the official UK release but that could be days/weeks yet because of the networks adding and tweaking before release. which was my reason for updating.

on the phone itself the update works great, its alot smoother to use nd the live wallpapers are a nice bonus.
so really the choice is are yo okay with this versian of the update or would you prefer the official UK one?

good luck either way:)

Upvote 0
> Is the above method a legitimate way to update my phone?

I am not a lawyer but I would expect it to void your warranty. It also will currently prevent you from becoming root which, depending on what you want to do, is possibly more useful than the changes between 1.6 and 2.1. I am also not sure how easy it is to go back to 1.6 if there are issues. Anyone?

Upvote 0
ok thanks folks, appreciate the replies.

Anthony

It is an official LG update, specifically for the Russia/Baltics as mentioned above. It isn't meant for us lot, but due to the amount of time LG is taking to update all people away from Russia and the Baltics to 2.1, quite a few of us have just decided to get it done this way.

The chances are that once the official update comes for the UK, etc, we will be able to update to our country-specific KDZ, which would probably not affect your warranty at all. (What they don't know can't hurt them.)

Reactions: tony102smith
Upvote 0
Can anyone verify that this firmware does not contain any language packs other than slavic/baltic and english? I need greek fonts and the greek dictionary very badly. This would be just like bricking my phone for me. I dont want to wait until LG delivers the official update but if i have to...

Also can anyone tell me if there are any differences in the preinstalled apps and widgets? New apps, newer versions, new functionality, anything basically

Thanks

Upvote 0
Can anyone verify that this firmware does not contain any language packs other than slavic/baltic and english? I need greek fonts and the greek dictionary very badly. This would be just like bricking my phone for me. I dont want to wait until LG delivers the official update but if i have to...

Also can anyone tell me if there are any differences in the preinstalled apps and widgets? New apps, newer versions, new functionality, anything basically

Thanks

Locale selections:

English
Pyccknn
Ykpaihcbka
K,a3ak,
Lietuviu
Latviesu
Eesti
Romana
(Another one I couldn't begin to imagine. Japanese, maybe?)

MoreLocale 2 might be able to help you if Greek isn't above, but I couldn't confirm it.

Up to you if you wish to go to it, but be warned. You CANNOT go back to 1.6.

Reactions: Kostas
Upvote 0
Don't know if anyone's noticed but there is a difference with the balkan rom- telephone numbers are all displayed with hyphens, in the format: xxx-xxx-xxxxx. It's not a problem, but in some countries, such as UK, we don't write hyphens in our phone numbers.
Or.. maybe all roms do this and i just didn't notice?

Upvote 0
Don't know if anyone's noticed but there is a difference with the balkan rom- telephone numbers are all displayed with hyphens, in the format: xxx-xxx-xxxxx. It's not a problem, but in some countries, such as UK, we don't write hyphens in our phone numbers.
Or.. maybe all roms do this and i just didn't notice?

yeah he6rt6gr6m mentioned it someone didnt read the whole thread lol ;)

Reactions: he6rt6gr6m
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones