• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 2.1 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1.

Maybe they are just refreshing their OTA updating system. Updating Facebook does not seem a reason to send out an OTA update of the same Version of OS.

I just dont see why they would need to do this at all...but...why would they have an OTA system update that changes nothing...the facebook thing is unrelated I am thinking.

EDIT: Something fishy is going on here...

Upvote 0
BaH!!! Launcher is a lagger! Sweeter Home Preview 2 is THE REAL DEAL. And it's still in beta. Sweeter Home comes with 5 screens, but because of it's complex design, all you really need is 2 or 3. Search the apps forum and be amazed. ;)

There are supersonic airplanes that are less complicated to program than Sweeter Home 2. LOL.

Kudos for having options, though, but DAMN I cannot sit down and spend that much time customizing it!

Upvote 0
VZW would not send out an update to simply update the facebook app...it's in the market and may be updated from there...VZW isn't going to clog their network w/unnecessary traffic. That doesn't make much sense.

Also don't need to test the update process...they used it in 2.0 to 2.01.

No idea what you guys experienced, but if the kernel and other numbers are unchanged, then it's pretty clear you didn't get a system update...

Upvote 0
Just throwing this out there...but this update was a full verizon update that put the phones into boot loader mode, and flashed the rom (supposedly) right?

You didn't just get an update notification in the bar at the top, and the update happened without shutting down the phone, right?

There is a zero percent chance they pushed a full update and didn't bump any version number.

Joe

Upvote 0
I received the update this morning as well. When it installed the progress bar didn't go all the way to the end before it rebooted.

Going along with the facebook chatter before this update I was unable to install the Facebook app from the market. After the update I was able to install Facebook from the market with no problem.

I have not noticed anything else besides that.

Upvote 0
I received the update this morning as well. When it installed the progress bar didn't go all the way to the end before it rebooted.

Going along with the facebook chatter before this update I was unable to install the Facebook app from the market. After the update I was able to install Facebook from the market with no problem.

I have not noticed anything else besides that.

interesting that it didn't seem to get to the end...MAN what is goin onnnnn.

Could this really all be for facebook? Really verizon?

Upvote 0
I just got off the phone with verizon and motorola and neither of them have heard anything about an update being sent out over the air today. I called verizon both times and they didn't know anything. Someone on droidforums.net said it was 61.4 MB. Verizon advised me not to install the update because they hadn't heard anything at all and they thought it was suspicious that the only thing that was different was that you had to login to facebook again.

Upvote 0
gentle...home++ is still nowhere near what the native home in terms of speed. It is great in principle but it lacks in overall responsiveness which is what I want from our Droids!

I've stuck w/ it b/c of it's customization, but you're right, it's no where near as responsive. It's quite annoying, which is why I'm hoping the 2.1 will save the day.

Upvote 0
i am absolutely 100% positive it was an OTA update, the same thing that happened when it went to 2.0.1. i woke up mid way through the night, the room was kinda bright, looked at the phone in the dock, and there was the install message. i hit the install option, and the unpack animation icon began (this is an unmistakeable thing). there was a status bar. i left the room for a little bit (middle of the night...wonder where i went), and when i came back, it was back to my phone. which means, i did not actually watch it finish the install. which mean that the above posters might be right, maybe it was an aborted OTA? but why?? that is completely weird and ridiculous. however, again, i am absolutely, positively certain that it was an OTA, with the unpacking animation. no idea if it finished, but it definitely began the same as the 2.0.1 OTA did. so that is all the info i have. not hallucinating, not dreaming, at least not about verizon, fer crissakes. i'm as baffled as the rest of you, but at least i'm not alone. how in the world can verizon or motorola know NOTHING about this? that's ridiculous. someone has to have some sort of info. did someone's toddler get hold of the OTA controls?

Upvote 0
I've stuck w/ it b/c of it's customization, but you're right, it's no where near as responsive. It's quite annoying, which is why I'm hoping the 2.1 will save the day.

My feelings exactly friend.

On another note, most reps you will get a hold of would know if there was an actual update rolling out. This is very suspicious. I would advise anyone else who gets a notification to hold out to accept the update and I might even hold out on re-signing into Facebook.

Upvote 0
i am absolutely 100% positive it was an OTA update, the same thing that happened when it went to 2.0.1. i woke up mid way through the night, the room was kinda bright, looked at the phone in the dock, and there was the install message. i hit the install option, and the unpack animation icon began (this is an unmistakeable thing). there was a status bar. i left the room for a little bit (middle of the night...wonder where i went), and when i came back, it was back to my phone. which means, i did not actually watch it finish the install. which mean that the above posters might be right, maybe it was an aborted OTA? but why?? that is completely weird and ridiculous. however, again, i am absolutely, positively certain that it was an OTA, with the unpacking animation. no idea if it finished, but it definitely began the same as the 2.0.1 OTA did. so that is all the info i have. not hallucinating, not dreaming, at least not about verizon, fer crissakes. i'm as baffled as the rest of you, but at least i'm not alone. how in the world can verizon or motorola know NOTHING about this? that's ridiculous. someone has to have some sort of info. did someone's toddler get hold of the OTA controls?

lol someone's toddler...seriously what the eff is going on here?!?!?! (yes i know i have post something along the lines of "What the hell?" like 3 other times)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones