• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 2.2 [Froyo] Bugs and Questions - Post em Here

I have this exact same problem. I get 1 dot of signal on the indicator. Speed tests are blazing. Wifi Analyzer shows signal going up and down.

I noticed this also after going to frg01. The wifi signal meter in the notification bar shows no signal strength and the wireless option in the settings menu says poor signal. This is a non-rooted phone, just the stock build.

I ran Wifi Analyzer and it shows my wifi signal as cycling on and off. It will spike to a good signal, 60db, then immediately go to no signal, then back to full strength, over and over. I can see other wifi networks with Analyzer and most are poor strength but consistent, just varying slightly over time.

I've rebooted everything including my phone and router, shut off my laptop, switched the router from mixed N,G,B mode to just N then just G, stood next to the router while rebooting the phone, switched the router channel. Nothing has seemed to help. Speed Analyzer shows my download speed as normal, 2.4Mbps on a 3Mbps line.

I'm thinking it may be the router but I haven't tried connecting to another network to test. Is this normal for the Droid to cycle or ping the network every few seconds or should I see a more consistent signal from my router?

Everything else with the frg01 upgrade seems fine. Battery life is about the same or maybe a little better, no other issues I've seen.

Someone mentioned the alarm app being gone and only accessible through the clock app. I had an alarm shortcut on my home screen prior to the upgrade and it is still there and works, takes me right to the alarm settings. But I can't see how to add it now either through the clock app. Just fyi.

Upvote 0
Is that "Facebook for HTC Sense", or the normal Facebook app? Because both had problems. The normal one drained the battery, and the HTC one downloaded massive amounts of data.

Facebook. If you check around, as soon as it was released in hte Market as a new version (1.3?) people started complaining that it was doing both - massively downloading data and killing battery (b/c it was massively downloading data).

1.3.1 should be the latest out there, an that solves the issues.

I noticed this also after going to frg01. The wifi signal meter in the notification bar shows no signal strength and the wireless option in the settings menu says poor signal. This is a non-rooted phone, just the stock build.

I ran Wifi Analyzer and it shows my wifi signal as cycling on and off. It will spike to a good signal, 60db, then immediately go to no signal, then back to full strength, over and over. I can see other wifi networks with Analyzer and most are poor strength but consistent, just varying slightly over time.

I've rebooted everything including my phone and router, shut off my laptop, switched the router from mixed N,G,B mode to just N then just G, stood next to the router while rebooting the phone, switched the router channel. Nothing has seemed to help. Speed Analyzer shows my download speed as normal, 2.4Mbps on a 3Mbps line.

I'm thinking it may be the router but I haven't tried connecting to another network to test. Is this normal for the Droid to cycle or ping the network every few seconds or should I see a more consistent signal from my router?

Everything else with the frg01 upgrade seems fine. Battery life is about the same or maybe a little better, no other issues I've seen.

Someone mentioned the alarm app being gone and only accessible through the clock app. I had an alarm shortcut on my home screen prior to the upgrade and it is still there and works, takes me right to the alarm settings. But I can't see how to add it now either through the clock app. Just fyi.

I have this exact same problem. I get 1 dot of signal on the indicator. Speed tests are blazing. Wifi Analyzer shows signal going up and down.

Both of you - try a battery pull, followed by leaving your DROID alone for about an hour or so, and report back.

If that does not work, you may need to install an alternate recovery and revert to an older baseband - the latest baseband has not played nicely with everyone. Pete has a few of them on his site at http://PeterAlfonso.net

Be sure to ask questions before flailing away, I am not sure if the older basebands can be used with FroYo or not, and neither I nor this site are not responsible for any damage to your phone.

Upvote 0
2.2 loaded on my Droid Wednesday. Immediately my ringtones including all default tones disappeared and my phone would not come off silent. Rebooted a couple of times and they came back. Next my screen started orienting upside down and still does sometimes. Then the touch screen failed and still goes out some. And last night the power button died. If I had the droid x I would be totally out of luck but you can slide the keyboard and that will turn the screen back on. Also when I play slacker the default music player turns itself on and starts playing whatever it chooses at random. Verizon has a new phone ordered for me and is going to try and figure out what going on with mine. Also the battery life is no better. It reset all of my app settings, gave random personal ringtones to my contacts. It takes longer for my email to work, my home page delays when you come back to it sometimes, and my apps open slower. I don't like 2.2 and will try to block it from uploadind on my new phone when it comes it. This the first full week of August 2010 for a time/date reference.

Upvote 0
2.2 loaded on my Droid Wednesday. Immediately my ringtones including all default tones disappeared and my phone would not come off silent. Rebooted a couple of times and they came back. Next my screen started orienting upside down and still does sometimes. Then the touch screen failed and still goes out some. And last night the power button died. If I had the droid x I would be totally out of luck but you can slide the keyboard and that will turn the screen back on. Also when I play slacker the default music player turns itself on and starts playing whatever it chooses at random. Verizon has a new phone ordered for me and is going to try and figure out what going on with mine. Also the battery life is no better. It reset all of my app settings, gave random personal ringtones to my contacts. It takes longer for my email to work, my home page delays when you come back to it sometimes, and my apps open slower. I don't like 2.2 and will try to block it from uploadind on my new phone when it comes it. This the first full week of August 2010 for a time/date reference.
Wow sorry to hear that man but I think all of those problems lie with motorola. After all, I've seen no similar reports in the vanilla froyo release that's been out there for so long now. My guess is they really botched it up putting motoblur on there or something...
But you can always try clearing your cache as that helped with some issues for the first froyo release aswell..

Upvote 0
I turned off the 'Network Notification' in the wireless settings and the 'trough' where the signal goes to zero was reduced to 0 on the time scale. The signal still bounces on and off but it's instant on-off now, no lag at 0 signal. Still wonky. I don't have tasker or quick settings installed. Will try the battery pull suggested by John. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Unable to get access to Flash from Market - Had to find .apk file and download and manually install, flash does work great though!

I second that! When I load videos it says "Not optimized for mobile" or something similar and the videos run a bit choppy though.

I've been watching videos that people post on Facebook on the facebook page through Browser and of course South Park Episodes on the South Park website!!!

Upvote 0
I turned off the 'Network Notification' in the wireless settings and the 'trough' where the signal goes to zero was reduced to 0 on the time scale. The signal still bounces on and off but it's instant on-off now, no lag at 0 signal. Still wonky. I don't have tasker or quick settings installed. Will try the battery pull suggested by John. Thanks.

It seems that the only problem I have is the notification showing a very weak signal since force updating to Froyo. I have no trouble connecting to webpages, even streaming video. Speed tests are pushing 10 mb/sec. It seems like it's not an issue to me. It's just weird.

Upvote 0
Bluetooth hands-free dialing???

I thought this was supposed to be in Android 2.2. If it's there I can't find it on my Droid install. Has anybody found this and used it?

Yes!! It works! Turn on your bluetooth headset, make sure it is paired with your phone and hit whatever button on the headset that is supposed to initiate the prompt for you to say a contacts name. It worked great for me earlier today using my Motorola stereo bluetooth headset.

Upvote 0
I am waiting for verizon to push the automatic update to my droid. Is that a good idea or should i force the install?

It's up to you. It seems like there are plenty of people having problems with the Froyo version that is available to force update. I did it and it's working pretty good. I just wish I could go all the way to silent mode, the lowest it goes is vibrate.

Upvote 0
I downloaded pandora about 2 hours ago and it worked fine for me. I havent had it on any of the droids yet, but I used to on my blackberry. I guess one you get used to the battery life on an Eris, the Droid seems like it take forever to die.

Pandora is working great like always. Most likely because I'm on WiFi. I'll try it on 3G and see what happens.

On 3G I've played 5 songs in a row with no interuptions... the first couple sounded like they were low quality streaming, I think it's Pandora sensing the connection speed and adjusting the quality accordingly. I remember Pandora having better sound quality on 3G before, but I might be wrong.

Upvote 0
I'm the same way, 2.2 is running quite well for me. It's noticeably faster and my battery life seems to be the same. Last night I had it all the way charged and took it off the charger at 10:30, with 3 alarms set. I've talked on the phone for about 2 minutes this morning and installed the MLB At Bat application, and checked yesterdays ball game scores. Right now it's five minutes after 8am and my battery bar is still completely full.

I honestly wonder how many of these guys did a factory reset, or had a completely wiped phone before doing the update. Mine was a re-flashed stock 2.1, then I forced the update and it's running flawlessly. I almost don't want to do the FRG22 update, I'm afraid it will slow down my phone! I kind of want to keep the first update!

Have you used made calls with the phone? Try making a ten minute call and tell us if the back of your phone heats up or not.

Three things I've noticed that tax the CPU/heats up the phone:

1) A gaming app that continues to use CPU time, even when running on the background (poorly developed, perhaps). This is a case where the task manager actually came in handy. I later checked the settings>about phone for battery usage data. Needless to say, the game definitely sucked life and big time while heating up the phone.

2) A phone call. Five minutes or more made my hand sweat from the heat. As with the game, major battery drainage.

3) Having the phone connected to the charger. This only heats up the phone's posterior.

While the phone is in it's idle state, the battery seems to run normally devoid of temperature increases.

To get something straight, the battery itself is not heating up. It's the segment superior to the battery compartment, which runs across laterally to the phone (the "strip" that "houses" the camera's lens and flash.)

I'm not much of a techie...so I didn't factory reset my phone prior to installing the update, nor was I rooted. At the moment I'm not considering it seeing as member "lucasfrench" reports that it made no difference to him/her.

This is my first post. Sorry if I stepped on any toes. Froyo is being a giant...
Metroid_Render_small.jpg

Upvote 0
Have you used made calls with the phone? Try making a ten minute call and tell us if the back of your phone heats up or not.

Three things I've noticed that tax the CPU/heats up the phone:

1) A gaming app that continues to use CPU time, even when running on the background (poorly developed, perhaps). This is a case where the task manager actually came in handy. I later checked the settings>about phone for battery usage data. Needless to say, the game definitely sucked life and big time while heating up the phone.

2) A phone call. Five minutes or more made my hand sweat from the heat. As with the game, major battery drainage.

3) Having the phone connected to the charger. This only heats up the phone's posterior.

While the phone is in it's idle state, the battery seems to run normally devoid of temperature increases.

To get something straight, the battery itself is not heating up. It's the segment superior to the battery compartment, which runs across laterally to the phone (the "strip" that "houses" the camera's lens and flash.)

I'm not much of a techie...so I didn't factory reset my phone prior to installing the update, nor was I rooted. At the moment I'm not considering it seeing as member "lucasfrench" reports that it made no difference to him/her.

This is my first post. Sorry if I stepped on any toes. Froyo is being a giant...
Metroid_Render_small.jpg

All of this is probable because the FroYo update overclocks the phone to 800 MHz max. The 'strip' you mention that gets hot that houses the camera is in fact the quasi-heat sink for the phone's CPU as well, so naturally, that is the place that gets the hottest, especially when overclocking.

However, if your phone is over heating when doing normal things like making phone calls or charging, I'd suggest looking into what apps are running - something along there is adding to the conflagration there, not just the ROM itself.

I have had my phone overclocked to 1200 MHz, and never had an issue with phone over heating when talking on the phone, even for 30+ minutes. As for charging, I always downclock my phone when charging using SetCPU, but still it is at 1000 MHz, so that is higher than yours.

Therefore, I honestly believe some application on your phone (or a combination of apps) is causing issues.

At any rate, a wipe is not a bad idea - and a reinstall using the new FroYo for everyone OTA update I posted earlier is not a bad idea either.

Upvote 0
It seems that the only problem I have is the notification showing a very weak signal since force updating to Froyo. I have no trouble connecting to webpages, even streaming video. Speed tests are pushing 10 mb/sec. It seems like it's not an issue to me. It's just weird.
I tried the battery pull to solve the wifi issue but it didn't help. I don't seem to have any trouble connecting through wifi either so I'm not going to worry about it. But to be clear, here's a screengrab of wifi analyzer, is this normal? I loaded ez root yesterday on my stock frg01 build and it seems to run, i loaded this screen grab app once rooted.

Attachments

• CAP2010080722371.jpg
    CAP2010080722371.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 48
Upvote 0
Ok, it has been a couple days now since I have done the FRG01 push and everything seemed fine until today. It seems that the phones wifi is not doing so well. It was working yesterday but now it says that it is connected but it does nothing data wise. Any suggestions?

Have you tried a battery pull, or a Factory reset?

I tried the battery pull to solve the wifi issue but it didn't help. I don't seem to have any trouble connecting through wifi either so I'm not going to worry about it. But to be clear, here's a screengrab of wifi analyzer, is this normal? I loaded ez root yesterday on my stock frg01 build and it seems to run, i loaded this screen grab app once rooted.

Hmm, what is your polling interval set to?

Upvote 0
All of this is probable because the FroYo update overclocks the phone to 800 MHz max. The 'strip' you mention that gets hot that houses the camera is in fact the quasi-heat sink for the phone's CPU as well, so naturally, that is the place that gets the hottest, especially when overclocking.

However, if your phone is over heating when doing normal things like making phone calls or charging, I'd suggest looking into what apps are running - something along there is adding to the conflagration there, not just the ROM itself.

I have had my phone overclocked to 1200 MHz, and never had an issue with phone over heating when talking on the phone, even for 30+ minutes. As for charging, I always downclock my phone when charging using SetCPU, but still it is at 1000 MHz, so that is higher than yours.

Therefore, I honestly believe some application on your phone (or a combination of apps) is causing issues.

At any rate, a wipe is not a bad idea - and a reinstall using the new FroYo for everyone OTA update I posted earlier is not a bad idea either.

Gosh, that is just weird. Well I'll be monitering my phone's battery closely today(I'm down to 80% and it has only been 40 minutes). The phone still get hot. I don't see what apps are kicking my butt. I hardly kill tasks unless they do a lot of refreshing or the like. I've also configure other apps to not refresh or even give me notifications.

Is there a tutorial on this whole factory rest deal? I'd appreciate a link, otherwise I'll snoop around the forum when I have time. Thank you.

*posted from the droid*

Upvote 0
Titanium backup does all of your apps and settings, but it requires being rooted.

As for data, well, SMS Backup will backup your SMS, all the other settings *should* be backed up to your Google account, but individual app settings usually are not (from personal experience).

This info that you are erasing is not SDCard based - it is erasing stuff directly from the phone's memory, and in order to copy it (the settings) You need to be rooted.

To manually backup the apps without TiBu, you need the Android SDK installed on your computer and can simply perform an adb pull of the \data directory to copy all the actual apps from your phone to your computer, but again, it does not bring settings with it.

Upvote 0
Hey I'm new to the forum but I just got the. Froyo update. And I was woundering if anyone was having a problem with their wifi and connection to the android market.

Perform a factory reset and see if it helps.

Polling interval on Wifi Analyzer is set to 1 sec, the lowest it offers.

Hmm, mine too, but my WiFi is dead steady. have you performed a factory reset?

Upvote 0
Titanium backup does all of your apps and settings, but it requires being rooted.

As for data, well, SMS Backup will backup your SMS, all the other settings *should* be backed up to your Google account, but individual app settings usually are not (from personal experience).

This info that you are erasing is not SDCard based - it is erasing stuff directly from the phone's memory, and in order to copy it (the settings) You need to be rooted.

To manually backup the apps without TiBu, you need the Android SDK installed on your computer and can simply perform an adb pull of the \data directory to copy all the actual apps from your phone to your computer, but again, it does not bring settings with it.

Well, I'm not rooted so I guess I'll snoop around for this SDK thing. Will back up SMS, thanks for reminding me. I hope I don't run into any issues after the reset...

I'll report back when done.

Which back up app should I use? There's several...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones