• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 2.2 vs 4.0 tablet . Suggest please !

With the nexus 7 being available I can't see how that would not be anyone's first option. An android 2.2 tablet shouldn't even be in anyone's consideration ever. If your options are strictly limited between those two choices though and they are the same price, definitely go for the 4.0 device.

Upvote 0
With the nexus 7 out no one should have to settle for a cheap tablet. At $199 the nexus can't be beat, both with price and hardware/software.
Yes I know there are cheaper tablets out there. However for what the nexus 7 offers you should just wait and save up $199 if you don't have it now. In the long run you will never find a tablet that compares.

Upvote 0
4.0 works faster even with that same amount of RAM, mostly because ICS has many improvements over Froyo like project butter. Froyo is an incremental update to Eclair (Android 2.1) and still suffers some of the instability, visual ugliness (never liked the white status bar) and stuttering. Many recent apps wont even run on versions older than at least 2.3 (Gingerbread)

Upvote 0
I would caution against the cheap generic tablets out there. Rarely (never?) are they a good experience. As for ANYTHING with 2.2 on it? Three years ago? Yes. Today? NO!!! 2.2 was released well before the tablet era and does not naively support the larger tablet screen size. I purchased a Viewsonic gTablet running 2.2 and it was miserable. It was only when rooted and running a 3.0 and later 4.0 roms that the tablet became somewhat useful. That the 2.2 tablet only has 256mb of RAM makes matters even worse. That's not a lot of space for apps at all. Of these 2, the 4.0 version is the clear choice....but possibly not the best choice. If you're looking cheap right now, the Nexus 7 is still hard to beat. It's far from perfect, but when compared to those cheap Chinese generic tablets with awesome looking specs and costing $100+ less? It's a steal.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones