1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Android 2.3.4 Set For Mid September

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ILoveMyDroid, Aug 31, 2011.

1. ILoveMyDroid

ILoveMyDroid Android Enthusiast

Just as expected Verizon tend to follow a senseless trend of attempted marketing genius by holding off the GB update until the Bionic comes out with the name of the first verizon 4GLTE phone with GB under its belt. Sad fact is the Bionic is set for release on september 8th which means that won't necessarily be the day of the OTA for the Tbolt, rather a week or so afterward. Fingers crossed people, it'll come out of the oven when it's ready.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. superstretch

superstretch Well-Known Member

I've been on GB for a week now and could have switched much earlier. If you really want GB goodness (plus extra awesomeness), check out some ROMs if you're rooted, specifically SHIFTS3NS3 (previously known as cl3anth3ory)

3. callieann0821

callieann0821 Lurker

I am actually really hesitant on rooting my TB just to get the GB upgrade. I don't want to mess up my warranty. I am although probably the most impatient person and really am itching to do it! I can't wait for it to go OTA. I had the X before with GB on it then "upgraded" to the TB. I like it although I do miss some of the GB functionality!

4. Hardstyle

Hardstyle Well-Known Member

I was just goin to ask when GB was coming out OTA. But I'm probably goin
    to buy the bionic unless its a flop which I hope it isn't.

5. jcnyc

jcnyc Android Enthusiast

Save yourself for the nexus prime coming out in a month or two. The bionic will already be dated upon release.

6. mdeblaz

mdeblaz Android Enthusiast

I believe it... way back in like June when the GB talk was abuzz for the TB and while they were still staying Q2, I marked it on my calendar to not expect GB until at least 9/9... no reason why, just a random date. Believe me or not, but I agree it's coming after 9/8... but now I'm leaning towards end of September.

7. Axe_1

Axe_1 Member

Just saw on Facebook that HTC announced the DInc and Thunderbolt will receive Gingerbread in September!!!!! I guess better late then never.

8. Pretkomel

Pretkomel Well-Known Member

It is going to be released after midnight, over two hours from now. :)

9. Axe_1

Axe_1 Member

Is that a promise? Who's gonna hit the switch?

10. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

Um...if it were scheduled for 2 days after christmas it would released after midnight ;) I hope you guys aren't expecting too much out of this update, remember if VZW and HTC let you down you can root!

trapperjohn likes this.
  11. Hardstyle

Hardstyle Well-Known Member

i would wait for prime but ive heard that there is no definite that it would be on for verizon. honestly i like my Droid X more than my Tbolt except that the Dx didnt have 4g but the messaging bug that the Tbolt is really pissing me off and my data has a hard time connecting somewhat often. ill probably wait a week b4 i get the Bionic, depending on the reviews and how well the 4g chip is.

12. ILoveMyDroid

I'd get a DX2 if it was 4G

13. scotty85

scotty85 Extreme Android User

sorry youre having trouble. i have had zero if the issues others have had. no random reboots,good gps lock,fastastic data connection now that RIL has been worked out pretty well for AOSP roms. maybe has something do do with bein rooted from day 1? :D

i wouldnt buy another moto,even if they do start unlocking bootloaders. htc phones in my experinece are solid and take alot of abuse. only thing id even consider ditching my TB for is the vigor.

its easy to return to stock for warranty claims,those staying stock for that reason are missing out... just my 2 cents.

last and not least,i cannot WAIT for all those that have been waiting so diligently on froyo to get the marvelous,mysterious GB update :D

trapperjohn likes this.
  14. cbj5259

cbj5259 Newbie

Rumor is the "prime" will be the Droid Prime and not a nexus prime. If thats the case, it will be loaded with Verizon bloatware and restricted for sure. I doubt Verizon will ever go for a nexus phone.

15. dguy

dguy Android Expert

Not as dated as the Thunderbolt was upon release

16. Turdbogls

Turdbogls Android Expert

i agree, the TB was "dated" on release, but it is still the best phone on verizon.

i haven't been too impressed by the motorola dual core phones. blur is kinda ugly IMO, the screens suck,they are still laggy with the stock launcher, and their widgets are just terrible looking IMO.
    i REALLY hope the bionic is different, but i have a feeling it is a little too late for the bionic to do anything for itself. maybe if it came out in July, but with ICS just a couple months away, most android fanatics are going to stay away from the bionic.

17. ILoveMyDroid

I was really happy with the way the Sensation looked, not as stylish as the Tbolt IMO but it was better under the hood and has sense 3.0 Coming from a Droid OG I got used to vanilla android but getting a faster phone with as ugly of a software on the droid 2,x,x2 it wasn't an option for me. I'm really happy with sense so long as we get sense 2.5/3.0? when gingerbread comes out.

18. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

It will be sense 2.1 just like you have now. AFAIK HTC has never updated a version of sense on a phone after release. Visually I doubt you noitice any difference between GB and Froyo. If you want GB 3.0 or AOSP you have to root.

trapperjohn likes this.
  19. ILoveMyDroid

Since I'm starting a chain of reviews soon I'm inclined to test the official release. There is no reason the Tbolt can't run the sense 3.0 lockscreen or the weather widgets.

20. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

Um, yeah I don't disagree with you there are plenty of sense roms with 3.0 elements, but HTC will not put any 3.0 on there, they don't care if you have the most up to date stuff on your thunderbolt, they want you to go out and buy the Vigor when it is released.

21. dikhed

dikhed Lurker

Sorry cur I am... installed the July update which did nothing but plug a bunch of beta holes and screw up a couple of leaked apps. Like Skype... the beta could use both cams but the new release on the the july update can only use the rear camera. Think about how useless that is! Why would they f things up sorry ass bastards! Hopefully, Skype will work correctly under GB. Otherwise it's a rooted life for me!

22. Danielson2047

Danielson2047 Android Enthusiast

Dated upon release? The tb still has the best hardware out there as far as I'm concerned with the amt of ram and simultaneous voice and data. Software, yes its dates. So root and rejoice!

23. dontlookatme

dontlookatme Lurker

Thunderbolt is good. Except for battery. I agree. It was dated when it came out. Took too long to come out.

24. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

I don't understand how you guys are saying it took too long to come out. If anything it was rushed out to beat the other LTE phones to the market. I suppose you must have got your phone after the MR2 update and didn't get the chance to observe HTC's failure of an excuse for a working phone with the MR1 update. It was the FIRST LTE phone on the market so being dated upon release sounds like BS to me.

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews