• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Android 2.3.4 Upgrade for HTC Incredible

Shorte85

Android Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2010
Michigan, USA
My phone is rooted, and ever since I rooted my phone I have never received an update. This is the first time I have gotten a update since rooting and was curious how this is possible? I mean, has anyone else received this type of update and if I update is this going to override my rooted phone and turn it back to being a normal non-rooted phone?

I'm curious because I just noticed it when picking up my phone.

This is the information that came with the update thing:

This software update includes new enhancements and improvements for your DROID incredible by HTC. You will be unable to use your device or make emergency calls for the duration of the install, which is expected to take 10 to 15 minutes but could take longer. For more information, please visit www.verizonwireless.com/droidincrediblesupport

Any information about this would be appreciate it.

Yeah it SHOULD fail to load but there's no real sense in trying it IMO. You're wanting to stay rooted right because GB has no root exploit for our phone so if you unroot and install this, there's no way to reroot except if you keep s-off. Then you can push clockwork back. Although the much easier way around all this is to just load a rooted, stockish rom instead. XDA has several such roms. The following is basically bare bones stock with a slight build.prop tweak to fix a known issue where some of the "about phone" settings show some Sprint stuff and also Sprint related apps show up in the market. If you want something more refined than this, just browse the development forum:

[ROM] Official INC OTA 4.06.605.3 - xda-developers

Does that get to the heart of your question or did I stray too far from your request?

Reactions: euph_22
Upvote 0
Interesting, I thought Skyraider blocked OTA's. That might mean it's a little different than it used to be but try this:

Go to /cache and delete the downloaded OTA. That MIGHT be all you need to do but it may come back. Now go to /system/etc/security and rename otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.bak. You'll need Root Explorer in R/W mode due to editing /system folder. Make a nand backup ahead of time just in case but this shouldn't be a big deal.

That worked on 2.2, can't guarantee yet for 2.3.4 since I haven't heard anyone try to block it yet. Let us know if it works.

Upvote 0
Reactions: snakep
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones