• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) Releasing Soon

LOL? Does that mean my Legend might get the 2.3 OTA before the 2.2.

One that would be instead of not before, two don't hold your breath. ;)

As to the rumour, I really don't think I care until we get a definite announcement and a definite list of features, as well as a definite idea of which devices will get it. I've learned it's easier just to ignore rumours, they're either wrong or they spoil the surprise. :p

Upvote 0
As always, an update is good. But does anyone actually know what it's bringing?

So I bought my phone from o2, and it has o2 splashscreen running o2 froyo firmware etc. I then rooted, and flashed the default (not o2 ) froyo htc rom. So does this mean I will get the ota update asap once released or will I have to wait for o2 once again? I still get the splashscreen for O2 but it's def not their rom anymore!

Upvote 0
Just how often do these updates roll out?

When I first started looking into getting a Desire (probably about a month to 6 weeks ago) it was advertised as being on 2.1, 2.2 rolled out just before I bought it (and still hasn't for some branded handsets, I think?) and now people are talking about 2.3.

What is the average gap between each update?

Upvote 0
What is the average gap between each update?

I've had an Android phone for nearly 2 years and the pace of development can only be described as frantic.

Google has said that after 3.0 they are going to reduce updates to about one a year but it will all depend on hardware developments I'd say, particularly regarding tablets. Whether Google pushes Android or the upcoming ChromeOS at the tablet Market remains to be seen.

Upvote 0
and remember, even if it does come out on the 11th, and 'IF' the desire is going to get it that is when Google release it to HTC, Samsung, LG etc. , not when the handsets receive it. They will have to work on it before its released to us with unbranded phones, and the operators like O2, Orange etc will have to faff about with it again before everyone else sees it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones