• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

android 2.3 gingerbread

Folks, I'm a bit confused here.

My phone is not rooted and bought from Orange with all there stuff on there. Will I get the update or not? Do I have to root?

I got an email from Orange saying the update is available, but when I called C/S to ask how I go about getting it, they just told me to have a look on forums!!??

According to PC Companion my phone is up to date.

Upvote 0
A Rogers Social Rep says they will support it (To my amazement)
Xperia X10 update ? | Facebook

However, no timing yet so you'll prob wait a few weeks or more.
I'm with Rogers and I installed the Generic 2.3 the other day and it's working beautifully.

I wouldn't wait for the Rogers official release. I installed Wolfbreak's ROM on saturday morning and it's already at patch 5(all applyable without reflashing). It's very smooth, nicely customized and has totally unlocked the potential of this phone.

Some differences include the Bravia engine which improves image quality on the screen. THe kernel has been tweaked to remove the 30fps limit on video playback. These are things you'll never get with the stock release and it's worth it's wait in gold.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't wait for the Rogers official release. I installed Wolfbreak's ROM on saturday morning and it's already at patch 5(all applyable without reflashing). It's very smooth, nicely customized and has totally unlocked the potential of this phone.

Some differences include the Bravia engine which improves image quality on the screen. THe kernel has been tweaked to remove the 30fps limit on video playback. These are things you'll never get with the stock release and it's worth it's wait in gold.

So by that are you suggesting I'd be better off rooting my phone, and installing 2.3 via a source other than PC Companion?

Upvote 0
So by that are you suggesting I'd be better off rooting my phone, and installing 2.3 via a source other than PC Companion?

Hell yeah :)

The difference between most of the custom ROMs and the official Sony offering is outstanding! You won't be disapointed and if you ever needed to get your phone back to stock for servicing by Rogers it's a 1/2 hour process. Piece of cake.

Upvote 0
Hell yeah :)

The difference between most of the custom ROMs and the official Sony offering is outstanding! You won't be disapointed and if you ever needed to get your phone back to stock for servicing by Rogers it's a 1/2 hour process. Piece of cake.

Is this the same with every service provider; mine being Orange UK?

I don't really want it to effect my warranty.

Upvote 0
I am on T-Mobile UK and got no update but decided to flash my phone as per one of the threads over on XDA. Never done this before and was a bit worried as it all looked a bit complicated but actually its really straight forward. The hardest part was waiting 10 minutes for the 2.3 tft file to download to my PC but the rest was a walk in the park.

I am not sure how I stand as far as warranty goes but as I now have a Neo and my son is using the X10 until his contract renews in December/January I thought what the heck.

The phone seems to be running ok altho battery has lost a lot in the whole process of the update and then reinstall of apps etc. He is really pleased with the wireless tether and the apps2sd capability. So all good so far!

Reactions: Smokey_Barr
Upvote 0
I am on T-Mobile UK and got no update but decided to flash my phone as per one of the threads over on XDA. Never done this before and was a bit worried as it all looked a bit complicated but actually its really straight forward. The hardest part was waiting 10 minutes for the 2.3 tft file to download to my PC but the rest was a walk in the park.

I am not sure how I stand as far as warranty goes but as I now have a Neo and my son is using the X10 until his contract renews in December/January I thought what the heck.

The phone seems to be running ok altho battery has lost a lot in the whole process of the update and then reinstall of apps etc. He is really pleased with the wireless tether and the apps2sd capability. So all good so far!

Excellent balanced feedback Rosered.

Is this the same with every service provider; mine being Orange UK?

I don't really want it to effect my warranty.

Yes, for two reasons. First providers will install 'bloatware' which is typically unnecessary programs that do nothing but take up space. Secondly and most important like virutally anything you can buy manufactures never push the envelop with their products. They play it safe and conservative whenever there is an opportunity to do so and our phones are no exception. There are literally countless settings that developers at XDA have tested that improve performance without risking the stability of your device. The fps uncap is just one i've mentioned. For me it was night and day running the stock 2.1 version of the OS and some of the custom ROMs. Then I moved to 2.2 ROMs for the flash capabilities and my phone got even faster. Now that i'm 2.3 its' just heaven. Truly this is how the X10 is supposed to run :)

Upvote 0
Folks, I'm a bit confused here.

My phone is not rooted and bought from Orange with all there stuff on there. Will I get the update or not? Do I have to root?

I got an email from Orange saying the update is available, but when I called C/S to ask how I go about getting it, they just told me to have a look on forums!!??

According to PC Companion my phone is up to date.

I got a phone call from Orange UK the otherday and they said the update will be out for 2.3.3 this month and that they just need to put their stuff on it.
Keep your eye out for it or you can just hack your phone and do the update like I did from the 1st post. Works a treat, no issues at all.

Upvote 0
I got a phone call from Orange UK the otherday and they said the update will be out for 2.3.3 this month and that they just need to put their stuff on it.
Keep your eye out for it or you can just hack your phone and do the update like I did from the 1st post. Works a treat, no issues at all.

I think I might wait until Orange release it, have a play around, then consider rooting.

In principle it sounds easy, and well worth doing, but if anyone can screw it up, along with their phone, it'll be me; I'm still learning the terminology...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones