1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Android 2.3 too secure for Wifi? (Connecting to school network)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BeastEye, Sep 21, 2011.

1. BeastEye

BeastEye Lurker
    None

Sep 21, 2011
    Sweden
    Hi guys (& gals)
    I've just recently bought an HTC Evo 3D GSM version and found it awesome so far! I have this issue however that I am unable to connect to my schools wifi connection through my phone. A friend however with an HTC Hero can connect without any trouble.

Now when looking at the difference between our phones when we create the connection and write in our log on details I found that when he connects via PEAP (EAP Method) he has a choice to choose "None" for Phase 2 Authentication.
    Secondly, when he chooses this, he is also asked for CA certificate (N/A) and Client certificate (N/A), something which I only see if I choose TLS as my EAP Method. For my Phase 2 Auth. I only get the choice MSCHAPV2 or GTC and then my username and password are immidiately required.

Any of you got any ideas what is causing this issue and how I can fix it so I can connect my phone? HTC Support only told me that it Could be because android 2.3 is safer than the version for the HTC Hero, which really wasn't that much to work with...
    All help is much appreciated! :)

Advertisement

2. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    /sigh...The wifi problem.

OK, so here it is: Android 2.3 will connect to your school's wifi. But schools and businesses use a different authenticating agent, called EAP. In your wifi menu, when you look at your schools' wifi router, it probably says under the name "Secured with 802.1x EAP", right?

If so, you're going to have fun. Go to advanced, in the wifi menu, and make sure the checkmark for Best Wifi Performance is checked. Then try "PEAP" as the EAP method and "MSCHAPV2" for phase 2. Enter your username/password. Do NOT use the enter key on the touchscreen keyboard. Hit the back key to lower the keyboard and scroll to the next field.

It's going to do the connecting...disconnect cycle 3 or 4 times. Eventually, it should connect. Also, it'll help if you install wifi analyzer and go to a place where there are fewer interfering signals. Once wifi locks in, you should be able to wander about without issues.

It would do this on my Droid X with EAP when my DX had Android 2.1 and 2.2 installed, as well. So it's not 2.3's fault.

BeastEye and marctronixx like this.
  3. BeastEye

BeastEye Lurker
    None

Sep 21, 2011
    Sweden
    I did what you said, but same result. About 50 connect...disconnect cycles it still didn't connect. I then downloaded wifi analyzer and noticed that all except one signal here inte the area (there are 5 networks total available) originate from the same source, so I can't actually avoid any of the interfering signals...

4. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    I would recommend you talk to your school's IT department, then. Although, they'll probably try blowing you off by telling you to get an iPhone.

But in my experience, with two Android devices so far, Android just doesn't like EAP. I'm just fortunate enough to live in a strong 4G area.

marctronixx likes this.
  5. BeastEye

BeastEye Lurker
    None

Sep 21, 2011
    Sweden
    When I talked to the IT-department (1 guy that knows barely anything about IT) he said that we have no network which phones can connect to, and he said he has no responsibility over the schools network, and that there is nobody I can ask anything about the network. Funny thing that almost everybody (except some Android phones) can connect to the network...

Tags: