• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 2.3

I get the feeling, based on what you folks are saying, that they ported this release from a different but similar LG phone, so now things like the led flashlight app need a rewrite but they didn't take the time to do it, and now things like the brightness sensor don't have compatible software because they didn't take the time to write a gb driver for it, and so on.

Which is kind of pathetic, really.

and shazam and flickr and all these similar apps should work on GB - they work on my hero running an underground aosp gingerbread build. So why don't they work on the lg gingerbread firmware from an official release?

I hope the can patch it with software compatibility fixes soon!

Upvote 0
I get the feeling, based on what you folks are saying, that they ported this release from a different but similar LG phone, so now things like the led flashlight app need a rewrite but they didn't take the time to do it, and now things like the brightness sensor don't have compatible software because they didn't take the time to write a gb driver for it, and so on.

Which is kind of pathetic, really.

and shazam and flickr and all these similar apps should work on GB - they work on my hero running an underground aosp gingerbread build. So why don't they work on the lg gingerbread firmware from an official release?

I hope the can patch it with software compatibility fixes soon!

Not sure why the Market says they are incompatible. Market won't even bring Shazam, Soundhound or Flickr up. If you queue them up in Appbrain, only then it will tell you they are not compatible.

For what it's worth, if you find Shazam or SoundHound "elsewhere", they install and work fine...

Upvote 0
Not sure why the Market says they are incompatible. Market won't even bring Shazam, Soundhound or Flickr up. If you queue them up in Appbrain, only then it will tell you they are not compatible.

For what it's worth, if you find Shazam or SoundHound "elsewhere", they install and work fine...

oh good! well then there may be a simple hack to solve this problem.

I believe, after a long time of involvement on xda-developer.com, that there is an init file in android that can be edited to change how the phone model and os version is sent to the market, so basically the market knows what apps to show as compatible with your phone and os. Maybe the init file is borked in the new release. If so then it could be a simple fix.

I'll check into it when I'm able - havne't even updated wife's phone yet and also am dealing with a lot of stuff in my life right now.

build.prop is I think the file in the /system folder, but I'm running on memory here so I might be 100% incorrect LoL.

Upvote 0
Thanks for help in this thread. I could not get update to work. It would stall on the download and tells me to contact LG support, which is closed now. I see post above that we need at least 50 mb of internal storage to work. I only had 47 mb. So I uninstalled a few apps and it seems to be installing right now as I type. Where are the instructions to tell to clear the 50 mb in the first place?? Fingers crossed...

Upvote 0
Thanks for help in this thread. I could not get update to work. It would stall on the download and tells me to contact LG support, which is closed now. I see post above that we need at least 50 mb of internal storage to work. I only had 47 mb. So I uninstalled a few apps and it seems to be installing right now as I type. Where are the instructions to tell to clear the 50 mb in the first place?? Fingers crossed...

I believe the 50MB is only for the restore of messages, contacts, calendar entries etc, and that happens after the install. MisterPuzzler might have more insight on that.

Was your download 139MB for the install?

Upvote 0
Well, I tried updating 2 or 3 times and each time it stalled. I tried to reinstall updater and same problem. I switched to a Windows 7 laptop, installed updater and had the same problem. After I read above, I uninstalled apps and increased free internal memory from 47 to about 54 mb. The installer started to work.

Phone screen went yellow and said "emergency mode". It started downloading and the it started to install. I went away and came back. I got an error message on the PC saying it upgrade would not complete. Meanwhile the phone screen stayed yellow. I went to the LG website and it said to reopen the updater and click phone recovery. I did that. It tried to resume updating but said my phone was not connected. It instructed me to disconnect usb and to take out battery and turn bac on. The phone was stuck with the "ANDROID" screen (I was freaking out at this point). I reconnected the usb anyways and tried to restart the updater. The updater then said I had the latest version (?) but I was still stuck with the Android screen. So I disconnected the battery again. The phone then turned on (took a while) and then started to do a Data Restore. I now have the updated phone. It is in a factory setting, but my contacts and calendar seems to be intact. (Whew!)

I will test it out to see if it is mucked up in any way.

Upvote 0
Well it works, kind of. The Move to SD Card only freed up about 15 mb of internal storage. Many of my Apps can't be moved to SD (eg Calengoo) or widget does not work if main program is in SD (eg Texas Holdem).

I was able to download and install Angry Birds for the first time in about 6 months.

Each of my SD apps disappeared from the Downloaded applications list after a reboot. The apps are still on the home screens and still work, but the shortcut icons becomes generic icons and the app does not show up in the Downloaded Applications list. I had to move all the apps back to the internal storage and then reboot to get the apps back onto the Download list and to get back the original icons. Weird

Booting up is a lot slower than before. But booting up a couple times seems to speed things up. Also weird.

Wifi seems less reliable, but maybe its because the Market also changed and seems slower.

Anybody else having problems?

I wonder if my install was buggy. Anyway to do a clean reinstall of 2.3?

Upvote 0
Good Morning,

I am wondering if somebody could please provide me with some assistance.

In the process of upgrading to 2.3 my phone went into emergency mode.

I was able to reboot back into android 2.1 without issue. However, when I run the lg updater the software checks the version on my device and returns V20 then proceeds to tell me I have the latest version and an update is not needed.

Does anyone know how to remedy this?

I tried calling LG Support who abruptly told me there was no such upgrade to Android 2.3 and as much as I incouraged the agent to look into the issue he advised me I didn't know what I was talking about. (I am more than a little frustrated with this experience!)

Worst case scenario perhaps I could flash the upgrade with an image and the instructions in the root section. Would somebody be able to provide me a 2.3 img?

Thank you very much!

Upvote 0
Good Morning,

I am wondering if somebody could please provide me with some assistance.

In the process of upgrading to 2.3 my phone went into emergency mode.

I was able to reboot back into android 2.1 without issue. However, when I run the lg updater the software checks the version on my device and returns V20 then proceeds to tell me I have the latest version and an update is not needed.

Does anyone know how to remedy this?

I tried calling LG Support who abruptly told me there was no such upgrade to Android 2.3 and as much as I incouraged the agent to look into the issue he advised me I didn't know what I was talking about. (I am more than a little frustrated with this experience!)

Worst case scenario perhaps I could flash the upgrade with an image and the instructions in the root section. Would somebody be able to provide me a 2.3 img?

Thank you very much!

You stopped the process when it said "emergency mode"? That emergency mode is normal (as far as I know, mine said that during the upgrade, and others did too).

What version does it say when you go into the "about" on your phone currently?

Upvote 0
Good Morning,

I didn't stop the process...The updater said something a long the lines of update unsuccessful. Then I was left with the phone in emergency mode.

I did attempt the update while rooted. I have since flashed the stock images (including recovery) from the root section of the forum and unrooted. The LG Updater still insists I have V20A.

In the about on the phone it says: Model LG-C710H, Firmware 2.1-update1, Kernel 2.6.29 lg=electronics@new1 #4, Build number ERE27, Software Version.

Thank you for the response, I am open to any ideas!

Upvote 0
Good Morning,

I didn't stop the process...The updater said something a long the lines of update unsuccessful. Then I was left with the phone in emergency mode.

I did attempt the update while rooted. I have since flashed the stock images (including recovery) from the root section of the forum and unrooted. The LG Updater still insists I have V20A.

In the about on the phone it says: Model LG-C710H, Firmware 2.1-update1, Kernel 2.6.29 lg=electronics@new1 #4, Build number ERE27, Software Version.

Thank you for the response, I am open to any ideas!

Well looks like your phone still recognizes it as 2.1 at least.

I unrooted mine before the update. I have no idea what will happen with an update to a rooted phone.

Try installing the LG update on a different PC and running the update again?

Upvote 0
Barney does your Nuance voice control work properly? Mine wont let me do a voice adapt. So it is very poor.

I contacted Telus and they transfered me to LG. I had to do hard reset to get back bluetooth connection. But voice dialing is not working well.

I've honestly never used that (I use Vlingo the odd time when I want voice activation).

Let me give it a shot and let you know.

Upvote 0
Just to add to the conversation on my upgrade path: I upgraded directly from a modded, rooted ROM. All it does is it upgrades your phone with stock apps. Bluetooth pairing is broken if you do until you do a factory default.

What happens with root: System partition is flushed, effectively deleting the su binary, rendering superuser.apk completely useless. You CAN upgrade the phone directly from a modded ROM, but you will have to do a factory reset afterwards.

Gingerbreak does not work for me to root the phone. Tonight I'll try flashing recovery back on (Hope I won't brick anything) and then do a nandroid, mod the image to zipalign + add root.

Will post more if I have the time!

Upvote 0
Just to add to the conversation on my upgrade path: I upgraded directly from a modded, rooted ROM. All it does is it upgrades your phone with stock apps. Bluetooth pairing is broken if you do until you do a factory default.

What happens with root: System partition is flushed, effectively deleting the su binary, rendering superuser.apk completely useless. You CAN upgrade the phone directly from a modded ROM, but you will have to do a factory reset afterwards.

Gingerbreak does not work for me to root the phone. Tonight I'll try flashing recovery back on (Hope I won't brick anything) and then do a nandroid, mod the image to zipalign + add root.

Will post more if I have the time!

GingerBreak v1 didn't install, V1.20 installed but didn't work.

Upvote 0
See my post above. I used the update tool and clicked "Phone Recovery" which resumed the update. Of course, now I have other issues. More later when I have time to post....

When I use the recovery menu the updater once again tells me I have the latest version and an update is not required.

The LG Updater just thinks I have V20A installed!

I have tried on multiple computers without success.

I am open to more ideas.

Thank you!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones