1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Android 2.4 for dual-core?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kb58, Feb 7, 2011.

1. kb58

kb58 Well-Known Member

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ap3604

ap3604 Android Enthusiast

I always knew the argument against getting a dual-core phone because Android "doesn't support it this very moment" (even if it is true) were flawed. Cant wait to rub it in the face of all those Inspire 4g trolls who were talking mindless trash earlier ;)

3. zetetic13

zetetic13 Newbie

While I absolutely still plan on picking up the Atrix, I am a little reticent in immediately believing that Motorola and AT&T together will make 2.4 available to the phone. Guess all we can do is cross our fingers and hope Motorola Mobility sees this as a moment where they can build a lot of good faith with their customers.

4. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation

I hope this release also has hardware acceleration.

5. sdbe

sdbe Lurker

I agree with that. Although an update sometime in the future might be welcome I definitely wouldn't count on anything. Even promised updates have a way of not happening on time or ever. I am sure you can come up with examples as well as I.

6. mrspeedmaster

mrspeedmaster Android Expert

Why is it a flawed argument:
    1) Fact, 2.3 & older do not support dual core

2) Fact, no apps are optimized for it. If 2.4 came out today, it would still take a whole 3-6 months for apps to come down in the pipeline for it.

3) NVIDIA is going to provide a set of new APIs specifically for their GPU and may have the inclusion of CUDA for Tegra 3. There will be apps tailored for CUDA and apps that may or may not work with 2.4

4) There is no guarantee Motorola & ATT will provide an update.

At this time, #3 is the most compelling thing. What NVIDIA brings to the table will be the most important thing. Right now, they have no plans to provide this for the Tegra 2 platform.

If Google embraces CUDA and OpenCL, we will see a new dimension to the Android OS worth noting.

7. youareme7

youareme7 Well-Known Member

Your #1 "fact" isn't. Android has been multithreaded for a long time now. Yes, honeycomb is including more multi-core advantages than previous versions, but 2.1 or 2.2 or 2.3 can make real use of dual core architecture. Your #2 fact is true, but you'll still see a "multitasking" advantage between apps.

I don't know about #3, definitely could be true, but in the tech world there's always something better around the corner.

#4 on the other hand is absolutely spot on and the reason I have my doubts about this phone.

For reference AnandTech did a great article about the new LG Optimus 2x, here's the page where they talk about multi-core processors in Android.

LG Optimus 2X & NVIDIA Tegra 2 Review: The First Dual-Core Smartphone - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

8. age109

age109 Newbie

Android 2.4 Gingerbread update due April with dual-core app support | Android Community

Interesting article suggesting that google told manufacturers to hold off on gingerbread until April to sell more nexus S phones. In light of the info on 2.4 coming out today, it may have been for another reason. It makes me wonder if this is why the Atrix comes with 2.2 and not 2.3 gingerbread at release. It would be great to get gingerbread along with more dual core support from 2.4 in April shortly after the Atrix release.

Could just be wishful thinking on my part too.

9. youareme7

I agree and hope that the atrix gets 2.4 when it comes out hopefully in April, it would be great to see more support for the dual core.

10. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery

You're such a party pooper :rolleyes: Don't be so pessimesstic :p I have faith in Motorola.

Same. If 2.4 supports dual core, I'm thinking (hoping?) that AT&T/Moto will release 2.4 asap since it would mean that they can sell the Atrix better and make more money from the phone.

11. youareme7

At this point I'm just hoping that I can unlock the bootloader; AT&T and Moto have never done anything ASAP. I do think that the reason we haven't heard peep about gingerbread on anything is because of this 2.4 debacle, but I'm going to go ahead and say we won't see any incarnation of GB on the Atrix until at least June. I'd love to be proven wrong, but it does take time for Moto to screw up Android, they can't just do it overnight ;-)

12. sarstube

sarstube Member

ATT has never done anything period, let alone ASAP (with froyo at least).

[​IMG]

but moto is pretty damn good (compared to it's peers)

[​IMG]

13. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery

^---hmmm...
    Well there IS a correlation between Moto and Verizon. Majority of Moto's high end phones ARE on Verizon. I wonder if it's Verizon that pushes Moto to have the update quick for release. Since it doesn't look like AT&T did much with its Android phones. So checking the AT&T site...the selection of phones are as bad as Rogers (my carrier in Canada)...no wonder they were affiliated.

Moto Backflip (er...)
    MotoBravo (er...)
    Moto Flipside (er...)
    Moto Flipout (er...)
    HTC Aria (ok...)
    Captivate (better...)

er...= I won't say anything bad just in case one of you have one of these phones.

14. sarstube

sarstube Member

exactly. even though a high end moto droid device has never been on att, it's still att. i'm going to take the atrix plunge, but not without trepidation. my only hope is that att holding off (especially on the captivate) was some sort of posturing for apple. now that the iphone-att honeymoon is over, i hope to see upgrades with the same frequency as "she said that" references.

...but i wont be holding my breathe.

Motorola Atrix 4G Forum

The Motorola Atrix 4G release date was February 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 2 AP20H processor, and 1930mAh battery.

February 2011
Release Date
Reviews