1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Android 2.4 Is Coming In April. Will the Inspire get it?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mattbe213, Feb 7, 2011.

1. mattbe213

mattbe213 Android Enthusiast

Android 2.4 Coming In April; Will Retain Gingerbread Name | TechnoBuffalo

If you read the article, it has the info.

What do you think, will the Inspire see 2.4? I think/hope so. Though it doesn't mean too much for us because it mainly adds dual-core support. Basically, the Atrix will get it because of its dual-core. Guess that anything dual-core is getting a pass to Gingerbread and beyond...

Matt

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Gonna say probably

3. Blanco720

Blanco720 Android Enthusiast

better question is: After HTC pushes the update, how many months/years until ATT stamps approval for it

jk. but srsly, it will get it.

4. mattbe213

Hey did you ever get a chance to see the actual post I made about WiFi and battery life???

Matt

Blanco720 likes this.
  5. MarcMaiden

MarcMaiden Android Enthusiast

rumors rumors rumors!!!

however, i can see google doing this....the tegra processor wont be utilized completely until they update android to do so.
    right now froyo doesnt support it, neither does gingerbread. Only honeycomb does. so basically, the inspire isnt beat yet! and wont be for a while ;)

6. mattbe213

Also, if you read the article, do you actually think that Ice Cream was going to come before Honeycomb in the OS list??? I think Sean Aune is an idiot, but he is also wrong. Google didn't give a name to their versions of Android OS alphabetically for no reason. It goes C, D, E, F, G, H, I, etc... Sean thinks that it should go C, D, E, F, G, I, H, etc...

Matt

P.S. - Does anybody else read TechnoBuffalo regularly???

7. Blanco720

why yes i did tyvm :D

mattbe213 likes this.
  8. Chew

Chew Android Enthusiast

Right now, I'm just happy that I'll finally have my first Android phone with Froyo.

There's been several updates to apps (namely Google apps) that require 2.2 and I haven't been able to update on my Aria/Captivate.

Of course, that tune will change once updates begin to require 2.3, 2.4....

9. mbranscum

mbranscum Member

Well, yes and no. With AT&T's track record it will probably be awhile and long after the excitement wears away. It will be available for the Inspire much sooner on XDA.

So, if you don't root your phone, you're probably in for a wait. A very long wait.

10. RkFast

RkFast Newbie

Wait a second....a phone that isnt even out yet is now TWO versions of the OS behind?

11. MarcMaiden

how do we know its AT&T?

only 1/4 galaxy s phones in the US have 2.2

12. Were jumping the gun with 2.4 were not even sure its coming. This is pure speculation. Like I said earlier 2.3 will be out within 3 months and if 2.4 drops when they are saying expect it in fall.

13. mattbe213

Exactly! I hate it when people say that it is at&t that is at fault for the updates not getting pushed, but it is actually the manufacturers poor support for their devices.

Matt

14. Donatron

Donatron Well-Known Member

Seeing as how 2.4 hasn't even been announced yet (the article is purely rumor), and there's only 1 phone that has 2.3 (not even the Nexus One has Gingerbread yet), I wouldn't start the whine-fest quite yet.

15. substance12

substance12 Newbie

2.4 is supposed to have optimization for dual core so we need not care so much

Android 2.4 coming April, leaving 2.3 dead on arrival - not Ice Cream - Pocket-lint

That’s right, in a move that shows there is some kind of cover-up of the mistake of the lack of Android 2.3 devices on the market (aside from the Nexus S) 2.4 will still be called Gingerbread, as the only new feature it adds will be this ability to support dual-core apps on a single-core device.

16. So this pretty much says yes.

17. Donatron

That doesn't necessarily point the finger at Samsung (not trying to defend Samsung, I'm a very unhappy Captivate owner). Just because Verizon and Sprint haven't released 2.2 either, doesn't mean that it's Samsung's fault. It could just mean that all 3 carriers are equally guilty. In fact, when T-Mobile released 2.2, they admitted that they've been sitting on the update since November, and just got caught up with the Holidays. Then add to the fact that many other carriers from other countries have been sitting pretty with 2.2 as well. This includes Rogers, who pretty much has the exact same phone. Then add to the fact that none of the current Android phones have been upgraded to 2.2 yet, from any of the manufacturers.

18. Chapp1e

Chapp1e Android Enthusiast

Samsung should come out and say that then. It would help put pressure on carriers and allow users to hold them accountable.

19. MarcMaiden

As far as the captivate goes, Leaked, updated roms appear every other week. Meaning that they are still working on the 2.2 update.

either way, I believe its a mix of the carrier and the manufacturer. The carrier for giving the manufacturer requirements (such as bing search on the fascinate) and the manufacturer for focusing most recourses on newer devices.

20. Blanco720

I disagree completely. AT&T is the cause, and its present on MANY devices from different manufacturers, including RIM (Blackberry).

21. MarcMaiden

then we will have to agree to disagree :)

22. emuneee

emuneee Android Enthusiast

AT&T hasn't released an official update for any of its Android devices, despite their international and carrier counterparts getting updates.

Three of the most recent being:
    Dell Streak - running 1.6...the unlocked version has been upgraded to 2.2
    XPERIA X10 - running 1.6...unlocked version upgraded to 2.1
    Samsung Captivate - running 2.1...unlocked version upgraded to 2.2 then 2.2.1 and rumoured to 2.3.

AT&T is definitely a road block. I hope their new found Android salvation (ie. loss of iPhone exclusivity) forces them to reconcile their update process.

There will always be "other ways" to get what you need though lol

23. Donatron

There hasn't been an AT&T Captivate leak in months. All the new ROMs have been based on firmware from other Galaxy S devices.

24. Donatron

There's also the conspiracy theory that AT&T may be intentionally holding back the updates in order to make the new phones coming out more appealing. Similar to how AT&T neglected Android in order to keep competition away from the iPhone.

But imo, I think it's as simple as it being at the very bottom of their priority list. I don't think they're necessarily holding them back due to greed. I think they just don't care enough to get it out any time soon. I think their main priority is dealing with Verizon's iPhone acquisition. And trying to cater to current AT&T Android owners is the last thing they need to do cuz those customers obviously don't give a sh!t about the iPhone.

25. emuneee

emuneee Android Enthusiast

I don't buy into conspiracy theories. My assumption is that now that AT&T has lost their ONE competitive edge over Verizon, they'll be forced to compete by supporting a healthy Android lineup, making the latest devices available to its customers and providing software support to existing customers. They appear to be on the way to providing good devices.