• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 2.4 Is Coming In April. Will the Inspire get it?

mattbe213

Android Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2010
Missouri
Android 2.4 Coming In April; Will Retain Gingerbread Name | TechnoBuffalo

If you read the article, it has the info.

What do you think, will the Inspire see 2.4? I think/hope so. Though it doesn't mean too much for us because it mainly adds dual-core support. Basically, the Atrix will get it because of its dual-core. Guess that anything dual-core is getting a pass to Gingerbread and beyond...

Matt

Upvote 0
Also, if you read the article, do you actually think that Ice Cream was going to come before Honeycomb in the OS list??? I think Sean Aune is an idiot, but he is also wrong. Google didn't give a name to their versions of Android OS alphabetically for no reason. It goes C, D, E, F, G, H, I, etc... Sean thinks that it should go C, D, E, F, G, I, H, etc...

Matt

P.S. - Does anybody else read TechnoBuffalo regularly???

Upvote 0
2.4 is supposed to have optimization for dual core so we need not care so much

Android 2.4 coming April, leaving 2.3 dead on arrival - not Ice Cream - Pocket-lint

That’s right, in a move that shows there is some kind of cover-up of the mistake of the lack of Android 2.3 devices on the market (aside from the Nexus S) 2.4 will still be called Gingerbread, as the only new feature it adds will be this ability to support dual-core apps on a single-core device.

Upvote 0
2.4 is supposed to have optimization for dual core so we need not care so much

Android 2.4 coming April, leaving 2.3 dead on arrival - not Ice Cream - Pocket-lint

That’s right, in a move that shows there is some kind of cover-up of the mistake of the lack of Android 2.3 devices on the market (aside from the Nexus S) 2.4 will still be called Gingerbread, as the only new feature it adds will be this ability to support dual-core apps on a single-core device.

So this pretty much says yes.

Upvote 0
how do we know its AT&T?

only 1/4 galaxy s phones in the US have 2.2

That doesn't necessarily point the finger at Samsung (not trying to defend Samsung, I'm a very unhappy Captivate owner). Just because Verizon and Sprint haven't released 2.2 either, doesn't mean that it's Samsung's fault. It could just mean that all 3 carriers are equally guilty. In fact, when T-Mobile released 2.2, they admitted that they've been sitting on the update since November, and just got caught up with the Holidays. Then add to the fact that many other carriers from other countries have been sitting pretty with 2.2 as well. This includes Rogers, who pretty much has the exact same phone. Then add to the fact that none of the current Android phones have been upgraded to 2.2 yet, from any of the manufacturers.

Upvote 0
That doesn't necessarily point the finger at Samsung (not trying to defend Samsung, I'm a very unhappy Captivate owner). Just because Verizon and Sprint haven't released 2.2 either, doesn't mean that it's Samsung's fault. It could just mean that all 3 carriers are equally guilty. In fact, when T-Mobile released 2.2, they admitted that they've been sitting on the update since November, and just got caught up with the Holidays. Then add to the fact that many other carriers from other countries have been sitting pretty with 2.2 as well. This includes Rogers, who pretty much has the exact same phone. Then add to the fact that none of the current Android phones have been upgraded to 2.2 yet, from any of the manufacturers.

Samsung should come out and say that then. It would help put pressure on carriers and allow users to hold them accountable.

Upvote 0
As far as the captivate goes, Leaked, updated roms appear every other week. Meaning that they are still working on the 2.2 update.

either way, I believe its a mix of the carrier and the manufacturer. The carrier for giving the manufacturer requirements (such as bing search on the fascinate) and the manufacturer for focusing most recourses on newer devices.

Upvote 0
As far as the captivate goes, Leaked, updated roms appear every other week. Meaning that they are still working on the 2.2 update.

either way, I believe its a mix of the carrier and the manufacturer. The carrier for giving the manufacturer requirements (such as bing search on the fascinate) and the manufacturer for focusing most recourses on newer devices.

I disagree completely. AT&T is the cause, and its present on MANY devices from different manufacturers, including RIM (Blackberry).

Upvote 0
Exactly! I hate it when people say that it is at&t that is at fault for the updates not getting pushed, but it is actually the manufacturers poor support for their devices.

Matt

AT&T hasn't released an official update for any of its Android devices, despite their international and carrier counterparts getting updates.

Three of the most recent being:
Dell Streak - running 1.6...the unlocked version has been upgraded to 2.2
XPERIA X10 - running 1.6...unlocked version upgraded to 2.1
Samsung Captivate - running 2.1...unlocked version upgraded to 2.2 then 2.2.1 and rumoured to 2.3.

AT&T is definitely a road block. I hope their new found Android salvation (ie. loss of iPhone exclusivity) forces them to reconcile their update process.

There will always be "other ways" to get what you need though lol

Upvote 0
AT&T hasn't released an official update for any of its Android devices, despite their international and carrier counterparts getting updates.

Three of the most recent being:
Dell Streak - running 1.6...the unlocked version has been upgraded to 2.2
XPERIA X10 - running 1.6...unlocked version upgraded to 2.1
Samsung Captivate - running 2.1...unlocked version upgraded to 2.2 then 2.2.1 and rumoured to 2.3.

AT&T is definitely a road block. I hope their new found Android salvation (ie. loss of iPhone exclusivity) forces them to reconcile their update process.

There will always be "other ways" to get what you need though lol

There's also the conspiracy theory that AT&T may be intentionally holding back the updates in order to make the new phones coming out more appealing. Similar to how AT&T neglected Android in order to keep competition away from the iPhone.

But imo, I think it's as simple as it being at the very bottom of their priority list. I don't think they're necessarily holding them back due to greed. I think they just don't care enough to get it out any time soon. I think their main priority is dealing with Verizon's iPhone acquisition. And trying to cater to current AT&T Android owners is the last thing they need to do cuz those customers obviously don't give a sh!t about the iPhone.

Upvote 0
There's also the conspiracy theory that AT&T may be intentionally holding back the updates in order to make the new phones coming out more appealing. Similar to how AT&T neglected Android in order to keep competition away from the iPhone.

But imo, I think it's as simple as it being at the very bottom of their priority list. I don't think they're necessarily holding them back due to greed. I think they just don't care enough to get it out any time soon. I think their main priority is dealing with Verizon's iPhone acquisition. And trying to cater to current AT&T Android owners is the last thing they need to do cuz those customers obviously don't give a sh!t about the iPhone.

I don't buy into conspiracy theories. My assumption is that now that AT&T has lost their ONE competitive edge over Verizon, they'll be forced to compete by supporting a healthy Android lineup, making the latest devices available to its customers and providing software support to existing customers. They appear to be on the way to providing good devices.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones