1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Android 3.0 - can we update, if so how?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by shigglyboo, May 12, 2011.

1. shigglyboo

shigglyboo Well-Known Member
    None

May 8, 2011
    So how does this work? I always heard this was an issue with Android. The Optimus M appears to have no way to "check for OS updates".

Are we waiting on a firmware update from LG?

It seems I should be able to tell the phone to check for updates and install if there are any. I've been scanning this forum and I don't see much of anything in regards to OS updates for the Optimus M, are we forever on 2.2.1?

Advertisement

2. blaxican25

blaxican25 Android Expert
    None

Mar 23, 2011
    Another planet Far Away
    when a new update comes out it will be ota over the air or with the lg update tool.

zeppelinrules0 and shigglyboo like this.
  3. pmb116

pmb116 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 24, 2011
    3.0 is Honeycomb and made for tablet devices not cell phones. The next upgrade would be 2.3 Gingerbread if you make your way over to the all things root subforum you will see they are working to port it over atm

shigglyboo likes this.
  4. pmb116

None

Feb 24, 2011
    Also if you use the LGNPST tool you can receive any current update there is. However ATM 2.2.1 is the current

shigglyboo likes this.
  5. shigglyboo

None

May 8, 2011
    So what exactly is the deal with devices not supporting OS updates? Why would an update need to be "ported"?

I was honestly shocked to discover I had to essentially "jail break" aka "root" my phone. I thought Android was open. Isn't it Linux based? My Linux laptop updates all the time, I don't have to wait for Asus to do it, or for an update to get hacked so I can use it.

I'm genuinely curious, why do Android phones get stuck on a certain OS version? Can't manufacterers build units that are capable of supporting updates? I also own a Macbook and a PC workstation, and they both update all the time, no hacking, porting or waiting for the manufacturer

6. TheAmazingDave

TheAmazingDave Android Expert
    None

May 9, 2011
    Male
    IT Helpdesk Technician
    The 408
    Think back to the old days of computing. When you bought Windows for your PC, it likely would not run correctly, if at all, after a fresh install. You would then be required to install all the supporting drivers and software to make windows work on your PC. This is what originally made Apple great. Apple software written for Apple hardware would "just work". There was a time where Apple didn't have USB, and the only things that would plug into your Macintosh were Apple-branded peripherals, that were pre-coded to work properly, whether you owned that piece of hardware or not. If you ever bought, say, a modem for your Mac, you'd essentially just plug it in and be on your way. The vast variety of "PC" hardware on the market made this impossible for an IBM-clone of the era.

Now...

Google doesn't make devices. They make software. When a cell phone manufactuer wants to use Google's Android system, they only get the core OS. It is up to them to take that OS, and then build their system around it, making sure that the specific drivers and settings for that specific phone's specific hardware is fully supported and operational. Because phones are generally proprietary (as in, you don't go to Fry's electronics and buy a phone case, a phone motherboard, and RAM chips and build your own), there's no need for the manufactuer to provide the public with the specific drivers needed for a certain model's included hardware. As a result, we must rely upon the manufactuer to build a specific ROM for a specific phone model; and even then, the carrier who will feature the phone also gets their way with the ROM, customizing it further to fit their needs.

Hope that was simple enough.

7. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Android Expert
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    It is not Google to blame, but rather the manufacturers and carriers. Google passes the new upgrade to the manufacturers which work with the carriers to make it available. Because they each have a unique version of the OS for each model of phone, they are responsible for getting the official version to you. Many of the smart people on here work to try to create unofficial upgraded versions of it that can be loaded. Also take note that with an official upgrade, you will no longer be rooted and all bloatware will be back. It might be easy to root it after that, but nobody knows until an official upgrade is available.

shigglyboo likes this.
  8. asadullah

asadullah Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 24, 2010
    Ironworker
    casselberry
    all of this is true and to add google said it won't be releasing the honeycomb source code ever. Say what! Yep read that yesturday. They are releasing a new version called icecream something in q4 of this year and it will have the honeycomb code in it but will be for handheld devices as well

shigglyboo likes this.
  9. alexxseven

alexxseven Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    supervising people kicking rocks
    That box under the bridge
    well as far as i know honeycomb wise, i haven't seen any source for it c:
    ice-cream sandwich is i guess google's way of saying their making a 4.0 already unless they deem it 2.4 :D

our only upgrade would be 2.3 which isn't going to the OP-m from what im seeing as LG isn't saying anything about it and at that fact they haven't even given us much to go on with 2.2.1 :D

but there are people working on a 2.3 which was ported from the optimus V CM7 which i could imagine was ported from another phone cause i don't see anything about the V having an official 2.3 yet.

but don't hold your breath too long on an official 2.3 from metro or LG, a lot of people have and were disappointed, LG loves to give the run around when it comes to accurate information c:

shigglyboo likes this.
  10. shigglyboo

None

May 8, 2011
    Very insightful stuff guys. Either way, this OS is much faster and cooler than my 1st gen iPhone. So I'm happy for now with Anroid.

11. lgm44

lgm44 Lurker
    None

Feb 14, 2011
    Female
    I couldn't get the LG update tool thing to work what am I missing? And yes I installed the drivers. I'm still running 2.2

12. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Android Expert
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    There is no reason to upgrade to 2.2.1. It was basically an upgrade to take away the ability to root the phone. The new Gingerbreak app has provided a simple solution for that, but there still is no reason to upgrade. Some people have even noticed a performance degradation when upgrading.

13. machodaddy

machodaddy Lurker
    None

Jun 10, 2011
    Just for information I am running 2.3.3 on my LG Optimus M

14. shigglyboo

None

May 8, 2011
    how did you do it machodaddy?

15. pmb116

None

Feb 24, 2011
    We have a 2.3.3 ROM available in the All things root subforum

16. shigglyboo

None

May 8, 2011
    If you do a whole new rom doesn't that more or less make you start from scratch? Would any settings, apps., etc. be retained?

17. jabbawest

jabbawest Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    Male
    Level III Support Dallas County
    Fountain of Lamneth
    If you use Titanium Backup you can restore your applications to a new ROM.
    Settings?
    If you use Google, all of your contacts and other things you've attached to that email address will be restored or synced once you enter your email and password.
    Other applications that require a login will need you to validate your account with them.
    If you use WiFi at home or work, you'll need to re-enter those login details.

The stock launcher will be replaced by ADW Launcher EX, more than likely, and you'll have to configure that to your liking.

That's about it.

If you were to install the CM7 ROM, it will use Google data backup and restore, which will sync and save everything, including apps and WiFi passwords. Apps that were not installed via The Market will not sync but you could still continue using Titanium Backup as an extra level of CYA and it will restore all of them.
    While I love the CM7 ROM, the version for our LG's is still under development and you may not like the quirks that come along with it.
    The Sense ROM is a good choice for someone that doesn't want to sacrifice usability but wants to gain speed, quickness, extended battery life, a cool interface and no bloatware.

18. FLGrl87

FLGrl87 Member
    None

Jul 24, 2011
    Retail
    Jacksonville, FL

Wait, how are you running 2.3.3 on your optimus m?? I've been scanning this site for a directions on how to update my phone. can you please tell me your secret?? :p

19. Darnell0216

Darnell0216 Android Expert
    None

The Gingerbread CM7 ROM is based on GB v2.3.3.

Tags: