• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 3.0 (Gingerbread)

well of course not that resolution on a 4.3 inch screen would be insane! Phone resolutions are fixed, and they are in no way customizable. Gingerbread is simply stating that it will support devices up to that resolution which is a pc tablet, not a phone.

Where I agree that resolution would be insane on a 4.3in screen. I am sure they will do it just because they can once it is supported.

Upvote 0
I think this is a major issue for Google with Android. No one wants to buy a phone now that might not get the latest update 6 months down the road. Google should concentrate more on refining the interface and adding features that fit within the specs of current hardware. Yes, I realize that we are in a spec war, but I have to say that Apple does it right by doing a couple minor upgrades throughout the year and then one big one annually.

Furthermore, it does Google nor Android any good to release information (or leak it) about Gingerbread when Froyo isn't even out on anything but the Nexus One yet! And then we have to sit and wonder if OUR device will even get Gingerbread when it comes out. We're still hoping for an August release of Froyo.

Upvote 0
I think this is a major issue for Google with Android. No one wants to buy a phone now that might not get the latest update 6 months down the road. Google should concentrate more on refining the interface and adding features that fit within the specs of current hardware. Yes, I realize that we are in a spec war, but I have to say that Apple does it right by doing a couple minor upgrades throughout the year and then one big one annually.

Furthermore, it does Google nor Android any good to release information (or leak it) about Gingerbread when Froyo isn't even out on anything but the Nexus One yet! And then we have to sit and wonder if OUR device will even get Gingerbread when it comes out. We're still hoping for an August release of Froyo.

What Google does has nothing to do with what Motorola does. The N1 has 2.2 and has had it for a while. Android is open source, and when Google finishes the newest version... they release it to the masses. The guys at Google are doing just fine IMO.

I'm not sure I follow what you mean by no one wanting to buy a phone now that might not get the latest release 6 months later. Technology evolves quickly, a few months after you get the newest cutting edge product it's obsolete.

Upvote 0
What Google does has nothing to do with what Motorola does. The N1 has 2.2 and has had it for a while. Android is open source, and when Google finishes the newest version... they release it to the masses. The guys at Google are doing just fine IMO.

I'm not sure I follow what you mean by no one wanting to buy a phone now that might not get the latest release 6 months later. Technology evolves quickly, a few months after you get the newest cutting edge product it's obsolete.

While it's true that Google allows the phone makers and carriers to do what they want with Android, it's also true that it's Google's platform. And everything that happens on that platform reflects on them. For example, there's been talk about preventing the phone makers and carriers from skinning Android and there's definitely an argument to be made there. Sense, Blur, etc certainly benefit the phone makers by making their phones unique, but it also means there is no unified UI for users and it takes considerably longer for phones to get the latest updates from Google.

One can argue that this is just a fact of life with open source, but the strength of Android for USERS isn't the ability of phone makers to skin their devices... it's the ability of USERS to customize their devices. I think all Android phones should have stock Android by default. If the phone makers and carriers want to *offer* skins or custom features, fine, but let it be a choice by the user.

The Nexus One is no longer being sold now, so we are at the whim of the phone makers to implement new updates from Google. If they choose not to update, then we users are the ones who suffer. For example, there may be no motivation for phone makers to update a phone that hasn't sold well. There's no guarantee that we Droid X owners will even get Gingerbread. But if you buy an iPhone, you can be quite certain that you'll get the latest update even a year from now (albeit it might not have ALL the features of the hardware can't support it, but it'll have most).

Sure, technology moves fast, but we are also signing 1 or 2 year contracts with these phones. Of course, we could always pay full price if we really want to upgrade, but we should also expect our phone to be supported and updated for a reasonable amount of time. What's "reasonable"? A few months? 6 months? A year? 2 years? I'll stand by my statement that these are issues for all involved in the Android platform (Google, phone makers, carriers).

Upvote 0
While it's true that Google allows the phone makers and carriers to do what they want with Android, it's also true that it's Google's platform. And everything that happens on that platform reflects on them. For example, there's been talk about preventing the phone makers and carriers from skinning Android and there's definitely an argument to be made there. Sense, Blur, etc certainly benefit the phone makers by making their phones unique, but it also means there is no unified UI for users and it takes considerably longer for phones to get the latest updates from Google.

One can argue that this is just a fact of life with open source, but the strength of Android for USERS isn't the ability of phone makers to skin their devices... it's the ability of USERS to customize their devices. I think all Android phones should have stock Android by default. If the phone makers and carriers want to *offer* skins or custom features, fine, but let it be a choice by the user.

The Nexus One is no longer being sold now, so we are at the whim of the phone makers to implement new updates from Google. If they choose not to update, then we users are the ones who suffer. For example, there may be no motivation for phone makers to update a phone that hasn't sold well. There's no guarantee that we Droid X owners will even get Gingerbread. But if you buy an iPhone, you can be quite certain that you'll get the latest update even a year from now (albeit it might not have ALL the features of the hardware can't support it, but it'll have most).

Sure, technology moves fast, but we are also signing 1 or 2 year contracts with these phones. Of course, we could always pay full price if we really want to upgrade, but we should also expect our phone to be supported and updated for a reasonable amount of time. What's "reasonable"? A few months? 6 months? A year? 2 years? I'll stand by my statement that these are issues for all involved in the Android platform (Google, phone makers, carriers).
Couldn't agree more.

People are pretty short-sighted when it comes to Android. They see that they can root their phone and customize the hell out of it and are satisfied. What happens when root is not an option?

I think Android is a mess right now with Blur, Sense and TouchWiz being shoved down everyone's throats (along with app bloatware). Google needs to take more control if they want Android to be a serious contender to iOS.

Upvote 0
Couldn't agree more.

People are pretty short-sighted when it comes to Android. They see that they can root their phone and customize the hell out of it and are satisfied. What happens when root is not an option?

I think Android is a mess right now with Blur, Sense and TouchWiz being shoved down everyone's throats (along with app bloatware). Google needs to take more control if they want Android to be a serious contender to iOS.

Absolutely. That's about all I can say to that. My only issue with the X is what Motorola is trying to MAKE me enjoy. Google needs to tell Moto to piss off if they're going to disgrace android with all their extra crap.

Upvote 0
i thought gingerbread was 2.3?? can they only name the firmwares after desserts or will we be getting like 3.1 pizza or 4.0 fajita later

Resolutions like 1280 x 768 will be just for large tablets running Android. Gingerbread will be 3.0. Google has named all iterations of Android after deserts and they are going in alphabetical order. Cupcake -> Donut -> Eclair -> Froyo -> Gingerbread... We'll see what they come up with in late 2011 for deserts that begin with H for android 3.1 or 3.5.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones