• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android 4.0.2 does not update to 4.0.4

mkr777

Lurker
Apr 8, 2012
To start off, I come from the iPhone scene. My first Android phone, loving it so far!

I have a Galaxy Nexus. Bought it from an individual, have no idea what carrier it came from (shouldn't matter since it's factory unlocked). I'd like to get the official 4.0.4 update, however the System Update in Settings is telling me my system is up to date with 4.0.2.

From what I've read, telling you that my Nexus is a "yakjuux" is relevant to this topic. I'm in Canada, with TELUS.

I still haven't entered the rooting scene. I'm not an advanced-enough user, but I'm reading and learning, so this will come eventually. I've read I will not be able to root if I go to 4.0.3 or above, but that doesn't matter for me right now (it will surely eventually be rootable in the near future).

To start off, I come from the iPhone scene. My first Android phone, loving it so far!

I have a Galaxy Nexus. Bought it from an individual, have no idea what carrier it came from (shouldn't matter since it's factory unlocked). I'd like to get the official 4.0.4 update, however the System Update in Settings is telling me my system is up to date with 4.0.2.

From what I've read, telling you that my Nexus is a "yakjuux" is relevant to this topic. I'm in Canada, with TELUS.

I still haven't entered the rooting scene. I'm not an advanced-enough user, but I'm reading and learning, so this will come eventually. I've read I will not be able to root if I go to 4.0.3 or above, but that doesn't matter for me right now (it will surely eventually be rootable in the near future).

change it to yakju,, its very easy

i dont root either and i found it simple

once i did that updates have been immediate

Upvote 0
change it to yakju,, its very easy

i dont root either and i found it simple

once i did that updates have been immediate

OK, I'll look into that once I get a chance.

Most regular users in North America don't have 4.0.4 yet, thought it should be soon. I'd hang tight for the official update to be pushed out.

But I'm still on 4.0.2, are North American users skipping the 4.0.3 update?

EDIT: Done. I'm now at 4.0.4.

Quick, off topic question. In the process, I unlocked the bootloader, it told me this will allow me to install custom software and might void my warranty. You don't need to give me an in-depth answer, I'll read about it based on the answer you give me. Does this mean I could have installed one of those custom versions of the OS which, for example, allow me to modify the speed at which the screen rotates between portrait/landscape?

Thanks, trying to get from fetus Android hobbyist to noob Android hobbyist..

Upvote 0
OK, I'll look into that once I get a chance.

But I'm still on 4.0.2, are North American users skipping the 4.0.3 update?

EDIT: Done. I'm now at 4.0.4.

Quick, off topic question. In the process, I unlocked the bootloader, it told me this will allow me to install custom software and might void my warranty. You don't need to give me an in-depth answer, I'll read about it based on the answer you give me. Does this mean I could have installed one of those custom versions of the OS which, for example, allow me to modify the speed at which the screen rotates between portrait/landscape?

Thanks, trying to get from fetus Android hobbyist to noob Android hobbyist..

Yes you can flash a custom ROM, and depending on which ROM you use, it may have extra functions.

I used 'Android revolution HD' -> its a pretty much stock 4.0.4 ROM with a few tweaks and improvements. Not any custom features.

But other ROMs like 'Liquid Smooth' come with built in options -> eg interface and behaviour customizations, clock speed options etc.

I'd look into 'Codename Android' ROM though, that appears to be the must fully featured.

Upvote 0
I live in So. California and this is how i got the update notification on my stock Galaxy Nexus (yakju)

Go to Settings>Apps>ALL
Scroll down to "Google Services Framework"
Clear Data
Restart phone
Wait for boot process and hope for a notification
If you do not get a notification, check for updates.
Repeat if it didn't work.

Took me 3 restart cycles before I got the update notification. Hope this works for some users.

Upvote 0
I live in So. California and this is how i got the update notification on my stock Galaxy Nexus (yakju)

Go to Settings>Apps>ALL
Clear Data
Restart phone

Took me 3 restart cycles before I got the update notification. Hope this works for some users.

This is a GSM Nexus, right?

Upvote 0

Go to Settings>Apps>ALL
Clear Data
Restart phone

Don't I lose all my settings and accounts if I do this?

Upvote 0

Go to Settings>Apps>ALL
Clear Data
Restart phone

I did this but I didn't reboot. I went and checked for the update right after clearing Google Services Framework and my update showed up.

Don't I lose all my settings and accounts if I do this?

I didn't lose anything.

Upvote 0
Well just consider my post as a point of reference. With the original poster of the technique being from California, I was under the impression that only Verizon had the Nexus in the states. My bad.

Yeah I usually just stay in the verizon sub forum so there isnt any confusion. There are people that have imported gsm nexus that live in the us on here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones