• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

VincentAnoid

Android Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2012
So I just got the new update for the Gnex OTA as I'm running stock and unrooted. Probably a bit slow I know, and having Googled for the new features from the update. I don't see much that has changed, camera, settings, auto rotate etc. They changed the colour of tick in settings to fit the theme of the phone. Ice blue.

What's New in Android 4.0.4? (Video)

I've just noticed they scrapped the bin icon in the gallery app and put the delete option in the 3 dots. I don't like that, I often delete photos so I would like it as a separate option. This was the reason why I'm not all crazy for these updates, and for this previous thead.

http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/530758-about-system-updates.html

Anyone else feel the same way about the update?

So I just got the new update for the Gnex OTA as I'm running stock and unrooted. Probably a bit slow I know, and having Googled for the new features from the update. I don't see much that has changed, camera, settings, auto rotate etc. They changed the colour of tick in settings to fit the theme of the phone. Ice blue.

What's New in Android 4.0.4? (Video)

I've just noticed they scrapped the bin icon in the gallery app and put the delete option in the 3 dots. I don't like that, I often delete photos so I would like it as a separate option. This was the reason why I'm not all crazy for these updates, and for this previous thead.

http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/530758-about-system-updates.html

Anyone else feel the same way about the update?

You're not right with the bin icon! In the gallery press and hold the image you wish to delete and the bin icon will appear next to the three little squares (top left) - press it and confirm delete! :cool:

Upvote 0
Most if not all of the changes are for the better. its just something to get used to. dont fret too much over the little things. now if they changed the color scheme to pink....then i would be a little pisses. but they fix multitouch, speed up screen rotation, "fix" the signal bars, speed up the phone a bit, and add some extra sound profiles to the shut down menu. all seem pretty great to me.

Upvote 0
You're not right with the bin icon! In the gallery press and hold the image you wish to delete and the bin icon will appear next to the three little squares (top left) - press it and confirm delete! :cool:
No thats not what I mean't. If you view one single picture on the screen, the bin icon is no longer there. But yes it does come up when your selecting different pictures :)

I would like to delete pictures more easily straight after or when I'm taking them by clicking the thumbnail in the camera to delete.

Upvote 0
Most if not all of the changes are for the better. its just something to get used to. dont fret too much over the little things. now if they changed the color scheme to pink....then i would be a little pisses. but they fix multitouch, speed up screen rotation, "fix" the signal bars, speed up the phone a bit, and add some extra sound profiles to the shut down menu. all seem pretty great to me.
My two favourites are:
1) A more stable release.
2) The setting to allow the off button to only turn off the screen and not lock the phone.

Ah right, thanks. I guess Google thought the vibrate feature made too much noise and needed to make an even lower disturbance setting.
I think that every phone I've owned has three settings:
1) Normal.
2) Meeting.
3) Silent.

Upvote 0
My two favourites are:
1) Normal.
2) Meeting.
3) Silent.
My previous phones had many settings/profiles, Outdoor, Normal, Silent, Meeting.

I guess three is the optimum, three times a charm.

But I hate that the Notification/Pulse light still hasn't been given proper software for:thinking:. I'm still using LightFlow

Upvote 0
Not only is it "good enough", it is the best app for this purpose ever devised. It beats the stock built-in stuff by a long shot. Since using it I've never missed any notifications when my phone is lying around somewhere and I'm in a different place or a noisy environment.
I've only got the free version so.. And I dislike how it overides my other apps that want to use the notification light. So kinda compromises my usability and I don't wanna pay for something which Google should have covered the settings for.

Upvote 0
My two favourites are:
1) A more stable release.
2) The setting to allow the off button to only turn off the screen and not lock the phone.

no sure if you're stating a whish list, but 2) is there now, under the security menu. you just uncheck the "power button instantly locks" option

1) Normal.
2) Meeting.
3) Silent.

i do wish the gnex had a dedicated switch like on an iphone, instead of having to use the volume rocker for this.

Upvote 0
no sure if you're stating a whish list, but 2) is there now, under the security menu. you just uncheck the "power button instantly locks" option

They're my two favourites out of what's been included, not a wish list. Thanks for replying anyway.

i do wish the gnex had a dedicated switch like on an iphone, instead of having to use the volume rocker for this.

The on/off button switches between the three quite easily, or it's easy to use a widget.

Upvote 0
Not only is it "good enough", it is the best app for this purpose ever devised. It beats the stock built-in stuff by a long shot. Since using it I've never missed any notifications when my phone is lying around somewhere and I'm in a different place or a noisy environment.
I haven't got around to buying it yet. Having not tried it, I didn't feel it appropriate to say anything other than "good enough".

I've only got the free version so.. And I dislike how it overides my other apps that want to use the notification light. So kinda compromises my usability and I don't wanna pay for something which Google should have covered the settings for.
If you paid for the app, it would probably cover all of your other apps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones