1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Android 4.0 (ICS) - when?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ashimashi, Jan 2, 2012.

1. ashimashi

ashimashi Newbie

So is it out for Galaxy S2? I keep saying videos and picture of it for 4.0 and now recently I have even seen it for 4.01 so I am not sure if it is even released it??

I read in Engadget that it will be released in the first quarter of the year but I am not sure anymore.

Anyone know when it will be released?

pb123456789 likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

As reported by Phandroid, Endgadget and many other news outlets, Samsung have announced their plan to make Android 4.0 available some time in Q1. What are being seen in the wild just now are leaked test builds.

pb123456789 likes this.
  3. KTP

KTP Android Enthusiast

theres also a very high chance the community will receive it before the average user due to carriers..
    once samsung release it, the carriers will then take their own time to tweak it and add all the crap we dont really want or need so add 2 or 3 months for a general release after samsung put it out there.
    good thing is as soon as samsung put it out, we will get it through the community to flash at our pleasure without having to wait on the carriers releasing their own version to users.

4. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

Nice theory, except that GS2 versions that are currently lagging most behind in terms of updates are the generic unbranded ones that should receive updates direct from Samsung. :)

5. matttye

matttye Android Expert

Yep, pretty crazy considering Samsung would surely have to prevent a generic unbranded version of the software to the carriers for them to customise? :thinking:

pb123456789 likes this.
  6. evohicks

evohicks Android Expert

Yeah this is what I cannot understand, still the official Gingerbread version for unlocked/unbranded is on 2.4 and most of the branded handsets are on 2.5 or 2.6.

7. greggebhardt

greggebhardt Android Enthusiast

Samsung would also like to seLl some new phones. New OS = new phone sales. They are in no hurry to give the existing phone users a new OS that "might" delay them purchasing a new phone.

8. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

Of course, but only if the carrier requests it. They may have identified an issue with their existing firmware that doesn't exist in any of the generic versions, for example.

That missing ".3" is quite important, but only tells part of the story. The other factor to consider is release date; a late-released 2.3.4, while using an earlier kernel and framework, may already have many upstream patches and fixes incorporated.

9. bonerp

bonerp Android Expert

Bring out something to top the s2 and many of us would pre order en mass. Sadly the nexus isn't it.

10. alexm8

alexm8 Lurker

I phoned samsung for some technical support with the crappy samsung kies back in december, the samsung supervisor said the problem would be fixed with a firmware upgrade mid-january 2012, i asked if it would be ICS 4.0.1 and he said 'most probably'!!!!!

pb123456789 likes this.
  11. steslatt

steslatt Android Expert

Has anyone else tried the BETA versions KP4 and KP8?
    I tried KP8 (4.0.3) and its a lot better than the previous builds. Mobile data works, NITZ works, its a lot quicker compared to KP1. The only thing I found that didn't work was face unlock. It failed to load once it had done the setup. I read that this can be fixed by flashing the face unlock zip from CM9.
    There are still some bugs, the launcher (TW) crashed a few times and I ended up with no launcher so I had to reboot. This can be fixed by using another launcher. For me there was a bug where my signal just showed 4 grey bars all the time, didn't really investigate it much as it didn't seem to effect anything.
    I think the next release will be a daily driver for me.

12. TediTamo

TediTamo Lurker

Hello guys :)

I have a question: Will samsung galaxy s II get ICS?

Thanks

13. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Yes the S2 will get ICS.

TediTamo likes this.
  14. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Check down in the Galaxy S2 forum....usually the best place to find the latest info about your phone and updates etc as it will be a hot topic.

TediTamo likes this.
  15. TediTamo

TediTamo Lurker

Do you know when?

16. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

Depends on whether you are rooted for custom ROM versions or unbranded or have operator branded firmware.See here:-

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-international/476256-4-0-ice-cream-sandwich.html

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-international/474791-new-ics-version-released.html

Unbranded, non-custom (stock), firmware should be out in the first quarter of this year.

Custom ROM for rooted phones is already out.

Operator branded firmware is in the hands of each operator and could take months longer depending on your service provider.

pb123456789, TediTamo and Remeniz like this.
  17. tepark

tepark Lurker

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the Samsung Galaxy S2 will be getting Android 4.0 as an Update?

Would be nice to see it on the S2!

18. imprez me

imprez me Member

Yes it will in 2012 Q1, if i remember correctly.

19. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

In case anyone missed the obvious, multiple topics have been merged into one. ;)

20. M0381U5

M0381U5 Newbie

Does anyone have a link to an Official SGS2 Android ICS 4.x progress site/thread/forum????

If not it would be great if this was a reliable thread for official or genuine progress post for SGS2 ICS. I have a Galaxy Nexus, but cannot wait to see what Samsung have to offer as far as ICS Touchwiz is concerned.

Please, post any valuable progress, or most desired, an ETA for its release.

21. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

22. M0381U5

M0381U5 Newbie

I Scream,
    You Scream,
    We All Scream,
    For ICE CREAM... Sandwich!!!

Come on Samsung give us what you got!!!
    :p

linuxrich likes this.
  23. TediTamo

TediTamo Lurker

When is this thing coming out??? Cant wait

24. bonerp

bonerp Android Expert

I can - I'd rather wait for it to be right than have a half baked effort with bugs. Gingerbread 2.3.6 works nicely so no rush here.

If you are desperate though use ODIN and download the latest beta version as discussed before. The search button and thread at the top works well and provides lots of links to file shares.

25. codral

codral Well-Known Member

Interesting, my carrier only has 2.3.3 out, no updates, for my i9100gt... Biggest telco company in australia (telstra)

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews