• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 4.0 (ICS) - when?

They also wont release over weekend

Why won't they release over our weekend? :thinking:

Maybe I am pessimistic but now 3's version of ICS has rolled in the week commencing 19th March, this means that Samsung has fulfilled its announcement as it didn't promise to release versions for unbranded phones during this week, Unbranded phones may not get the update for weeks.

If Samsung do not roll it out in the next 2 days, there will probably be a very good reason for it... such as correcting the faults found in the earlier launch on 13th March.

I don't think they actually give a shit

If they indeed didn't, "give a sh*t", they wouldn't even be rolling out ICS to you for free but instead force you to buy new handsets with ICS on since they are under no obligation to update the firmware from Gingerbread.

Upvote 0
i miss my old zte blade it was cheap so i just rooted it and never had to wait for an update. this is a bit silly tbh. really wish that it wouldnt cause warranty issues for s2 or i would have done it in a heartbeat.
what is all this fuss about with samsung if there were issues with the first build why hasnt there alot of been information online about it? i heard of a good few people with the official ics rom running absoultely fine. if there are no issues why is the rollout so staggered for the international version im sure there servers can hamdle it i know the sgs2 sold alot but alot of those are carrier lockerld/branded handsets so the strain on their servers wouldnt be that great.
also whats the point of saying it will begin on week commencing why isnt just it will be available on this day. i wonder if when they said it would be available they meant it would be available to the networks to tinker with as opposed to consumers

Upvote 0
If Samsung do not roll it out in the next 2 days, there will probably be a very good reason for it... such as correcting the faults found in the earlier launch on 13th March.

Not sure that stacks up. The carrier version is now live on the 3 network, which has happened well after the earlier launch. If they had issues, they'd have stopped any further rollout while it was worked on. Otherwise, why stop some and allow others to go ahead? Ultimately, Samsung will be deemed responsible either way.

Upvote 0
Not sure that stacks up. The carrier version is now live on the 3 network, which has happened well after the earlier launch. If they had issues, they'd have stopped any further rollout while it was worked on. Otherwise, why stop some and allow others to go ahead? Ultimately, Samsung will be deemed responsible either way.

If Three have approved it for release, who are Samsung to argue.

Either way, Samsung have fulfilled their promise to commence roll out of ICS to the UK in the week beginning 19th March.

As to when the release for unbranded handsets is... that is entirely up to Samsung. For those on carrier branded firmware... that is up to the carrier.

Personally, if, as I feel the case may well be, Samsung are tweaking their ICS release... I would rather wait for that.

Upvote 0
If Three have approved it for release, who are Samsung to argue.

Either way, Samsung have fulfilled their promise to commence roll out of ICS to the UK in the week beginning 19th March.

As to when the release for unbranded handsets is... that is entirely up to Samsung. For those on carrier branded firmware... that is up to the carrier.

Personally, if, as I feel the case may well be, Samsung are tweaking their ICS release... I would rather wait for that.

If you were Samsung, you'd be pretty daft not to insist on approval, as bugs in the software on your handset will affect your reputation, not that of the carrier. Either that or you wouldn't release to carriers until you'd done your unbranded rollout to pick up any final issues missed by QA.

Either way, you've either got an unnecessary delay for unbranded phones meaning branded carriers are getting it out first even though they've had to do more with the release than Samsung did, or you've got faulty software hitting far more handsets than was necessary. Doesn't look brilliant from Samsungs point of view either way.

Upvote 0
If they indeed didn't, "give a sh*t", they wouldn't even be rolling out ICS to you for free but instead force you to buy new handsets with ICS on since they are under no obligation to update the firmware from Gingerbread.

You've utterly missed the point. This isn't about releasing the software its the cynical and incompetent way they handle customer service re unbranded handsets.

Reactions: slugger09
Upvote 0
Reactions: Ice and uzee
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones