1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Android 4.0 (ICS) - when?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ashimashi, Jan 2, 2012.

1. swingman

swingman Newbie
    None

Jul 16, 2011
    Samsung is not going update to ICS for unbranded phones. That's official (not for public consumption) due to unforseen problems with the handset. They were issuing to carriers because they were contracted to issue updates as partof their contract. :mad:

Advertisement

2. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert
    None

Dec 4, 2011
    Male
    Sheffield U.K

Where have Samsung made such a statement ? I find this very hard to believe when it's been launched, unbranded in several countries already. It would have to be pulled in those countries. Even Nokia never made a cock up like this.

3. Quboid

Quboid Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 30, 2009
    Male
    Londonderry, UK
    No wonder companies are loath to give customers information when they get jumped on like this. A tweet or two and that counts as hype? They're not toying with us, if there is a delay it is because there's a reason and they like it even less than us. You can't accurately schedule these things, but the tech community clamours for a release date. They give in and put the word out, then something goes wrong and suddenly they're guilty of hyping things? It would be easier for them to just tell us nothing.

swingman, what's your source?

4. Nodders

Nodders Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    swingman is of course appears to be talking junk, but your post is a tad sycophantic to what is an utter mess of a release from Samsung. They did give a reason. That reason is obviously a lie or born from incompetence. That is why people are angry.

5. Remeniz

Remeniz Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 20, 2011
    Computer Tech & Audio Engineer
    Peterborough - UK
    I seriously don't see why there's so many people on here bashing Samsung for the lack of un-branded firmware...

1. If you want ICS, download ODIN, download one of the latest ICS firmwares, and flash your phone!!

2. Otherwise, wait.

6. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert
    None

Dec 4, 2011
    Male
    Sheffield U.K
    Samsung, HTC, LG, Nokia, (insert phone manufacturer) are all guilty of rushing out firmwares before they are tested well enough. It's the nature of the industry. Every manufacturer makes mistakes and uses it's handset owners as beta testers. It is the likes of us on forums like this that actually only get hot under the collar. By our very nature we push our devices to the limit.

It's not the end of the world if a new firmware is buggy, doesn't work right yet etc. That's what a nandroid backup is for. What is needed is for manufacturers to keep quiet until a firmware is tested to the nth degree then announce it and/if it still causes issues be honest about it and be clear what they intend to do to correct it.

Do you honestly believe out of the millions of SGSII owners more than a fraction of them would know what you are taking about if you said 'nandroid backup' to them ?
    That is why Samsung et al aren't particularly worried if a small number of power users and geeks like us get riled by their incompetence. Have patience, ask an N8 owner if they're happy with 'Belle'and how long they waited for it. Only then will you appreciate real delay and confusion.

7. chillibean

chillibean Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    customer services
    Cambs UK

I see what you were saying and i have done number 1 but the point is, people expect unbranded phones to be a priority when new software is released. i have never seen unbranded phones get software updates last....ever!

I think that is why people are so angry and frustrated.

8. Remeniz

Remeniz Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 20, 2011
    Computer Tech & Audio Engineer
    Peterborough - UK
    Yea, I can understand the frustration. My phone was O2 branded but I got frustrated waiting for O2 to release it's firmware, so jumped on the ODIN band wagon. All I want is the latest firmware for my handset and I have it.

I'm thinking that maybe Samsung have some kind of legal obligation to support the carriers needs first?? I'm not sure.

9. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    I can understand the frustration and anger, but we don't want to see posts bashing or belittling other members for expressing their opinions. Disagreement is fine, personal insults definitely are not.

Please remember the maxim "attack issues, not people".

10. Quboid

Quboid Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 30, 2009
    Male
    Londonderry, UK
    I'd like to know what exactly Samsung have said, most of what I've heard as been second hand. It seems to be that Samsung are keeping very quiet, they're getting criticised for being quiet. They're also being criticised for what they have said so really, they can't win unless they manage to accurately predict exactly when it will be ready, which I don't think it's fair to expect. If I was them, I'd keep quiet unless a few days before release when they actually can be sure.

I don't imagine it's a high priority for them and that will make it even more unpredictable. There's a small number of people who especially care about ICS, but who can't (or won't for whatever reason, e.g. warranty) do an ODIN upgrade.

I know it's easy for me to say this when I have ICS, but it's really nothing special. The only difference I notice on a day-to-day bases is Chrome Beta, which is the best mobile browser I've used. The stock browser is good on GB and improved on ICS, but Chrome is a step up again.

11. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert
    None

Dec 4, 2011
    Male
    Sheffield U.K
    Yes the Chrome beta is pretty nice. :)

12. Mahoni

Mahoni Newbie
    None

May 17, 2010
    Who knows ><
    Aus
    This must be a buggy update vodafone still dont know when it will be done

13. ashimashi

ashimashi Newbie
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    They say it came to Canada today but still waiting for it to come out for BMC.

14. Mahoni

Mahoni Newbie
    None

May 17, 2010
    Who knows ><
    Aus
    Got a big update lets see ill get back to you all

Edit: Its ICS didnt read properly so vodafone aus users upgrade!

15. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the tax man.
    Cotswolds, England
    It's been out for about a week now. See here.

16. Mahoni

Mahoni Newbie
    None

May 17, 2010
    Who knows ><
    Aus
    Well I've checked everyday and it's only just showed today